mtbr member

Shared forum... Why!?

Mongoose and schwinn. These two brands share a forum because why? Because they are both owned by the same corporation? Or because they are the brands sold in walmart and target, so it's a matter of being the brands folks like to look down their noses at?
    If it's a matter of who owns them, it should be schwinn mongoose gt cannondale. All owned by the dorel group, who also owns pacific and a number of other non cycling brands. My point is just that mongoose and schwinn share nothing more than a parent company, which is also shared by gt and cannondale.. But gt and cannondale get separate forums... Any way these two brands can be split apart on these boards?

mtbr member
    I'd lean more towards sold at department stores being the reason
    Last edited by shwinn8; 05-04-2010 at 10:15 AM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    oh i know how the whole buy out story goes. and i understand that schwinn especially, of the brands aquired by Dorel Industries, doesnt make the quality they were once known for... but thats just it....
    I feel like the offerings from mongoose, GT, and cannondale are all on the same par as one another, and as some other big name brands. and for that reason they should be split apart. if any of those two brands ought to be combined its GT and Mongoose, since they share a patent on thier suspension designs. but sharing a forum between manufactureres is just plain silly.... if you have a target or walmart schwinn or mongoose, yea, you have to call the same number for warrenty and such... if you have a pro model bike, as the folks at the call center say, then you call a separate "company" who handles the parts and warrenty of just the "pro model" bikes. it is all owned ultimately, by Dorel Industries, but the innerworkings of just how things are run is pretty much a mystery to everybody. take a look at dorel industries website, they own tons of crap, and i believe they just aquire good businesses and try to sustain them, and market them internationally, thats at least what thier website makes it look like.
    so who knows, maybe dorel hired some bike industry folks, or some business folks who fancy themselves bike people, and sent them in there to take over GT Cannondale Mongoose and Schwinn, and here we are.... either way, seperate forums please!

Crazy about Homegrowns
    Schwinn does seem to have two lines going. The walmart stuff, and the LBS stuff. The bikes sold in bikes shops labeled Schwinn do seem fairly impressive, but as a whole, Schwinn is just a name now.

Yeah, the forums are odd, but I don't think there are enough of us down here to warrant a change.

mtbr member
    start a poll in the "General Discussion" section like the KHS guys,. or the "Site Feedback/Issues" section way at the bottom of the page .. do i think they should be separate, yes. but combining all of them would be way to confusing and in any event it should be GT/Schwinn. if i ever see Schwinn and cannondale in the same category i'm selling my bikes... i rather be connected with walmart then to be associated with them( the company, not the person riding it)
    Last edited by shwinn8; 05-04-2010 at 10:15 AM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    not enough of us to warrent separate forums for schwinn and mongoose? here is a rundown on numbers of people browsing each manufacturer forum that is less than 8 people: curent number in the schwinn mongoose forum is: 26, that makes 13 for goose and 13 for schwinn for sake of argument.

commencal - 6
    ellsworth - 4
    felt - 8
    fuji - 5
    ibex - 5
    maverick - 7
    moots - 3
    mountain cycle - 5
    redline - 3

that makes 9 other manufacturers with an average of half the intrest that mongoose and schwinn gets. so numbers cannot play that much a factor.
    its disrespect because there are bikes at walmart and target that say "mongoose" and "schwinn" on them, even though these are not the same (at all!) bikes sold in bike shops.

btw: dorel has a "cycling sports group division" and the "pacific cycle division" which deals with mass merchants. with how dorel operates on such a massive scale, you can bet these two entities operate as separate companies except for where the money ends up.

so for those of you who said "walmart mongooses are basically pacific bikes with mongoose stickers on them" its more true than you know!
    separate forums!

What?
    Because all of us Schwinn and Mongoose owners are look down upon because our brands sell cheap bikes at department stores? Its pretty stupid no matter what the reason.

mtbr member
    SCHWINN maker of the cruisers, Pickles, Corvette's, ghost's, karate's, stingrays, fastbacks, Homegrowns as well as several other quality built name plates that defined the company are now dead and will never be resurrected.
    Last edited by shwinn8; 05-04-2010 at 10:19 AM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

smell my finger
    Used to be Gt, Mongoose, Schwinn forum, Then they split Gt out on their own a few years ago. Guess they were lumped together during the Pacific days .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8
    tell us how you really feel ...

start a poll in the "General Discussion" section like the KHS guys, but the response will be little to none. or the "Site Feedback/Issues" section way at the bottom of the page .. do i think they should be separate, yes. but combining all of them would be way to confusing and in any event it should be GT/Schwinn. if i ever see Schwinn and cannondale in the same category i'm selling my bikes... i rather be connected with walmart then to be associated with them( the company, not the person riding it)
    yea... originally i posted to make a point that these two brands deserve separate forums, because it seems they were combined for unfounded reason and it doesnt make sense... of COURSE it would be way too confusing, thats my point... why give cannondale and GT thier own forums, when shwinn and mongoose share, ALL other companies have their own... so tell me why it should be GT schwinn? and why the hate for cannondale (Crack N fail?) all of them are owned by Dorel Industries.... read below, then visit their website and scroll to the bottom, look for "a division of dorel industries" because its on all of thier websites.

"In 2004, Dorel became one of the largest marketers of recreational products in North America with its acquisition of Pacific Cycle, a leader in the design, marketing and distribution of high quality branded bicycles and other recreational products. In February 2008, Dorel purchased the Cannondale Bicycle Company and SUGOI Performance Apparel, furthering its goal to become a preeminent global bicycle company.

The Recreational/Leisure segment comprises three distinct operating divisions: The Cycling Sports Group (CSG) division which deals specifically with the Independent Bicycle Dealers (IBD) channel; the Pacific Cycle division which deals with the mass merchant and sporting goods channel; and the Apparel Footwear Group (AFG) which incorporates the SUGOI, Cannondale, GT, Schwinn, IronHorse and Mongoose apparel lines.

Dorel markets its Recreational/Leisure products under the Cannondale, Schwinn, GT, Mongoose, IronHorse, SUGOI, Pacific, Dyno, RoadMaster, PowerLite and InSTEP brand names."

www.Dorel.com

so take it for what it is... this is the company that owns cannondale, GT, schwinn and mongoose.

mtbr member
    Last edited by shwinn8; 05-04-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Last edited by shwinn8; 05-04-2010 at 10:19 AM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Last edited by shwinn8; 05-04-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Last edited by shwinn8; 05-04-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Schwnn8, you are fine with the forums as they are. Fine, you can have your opinion same as I can have mine. I am not angry, I just dislike the two brands being grouped together seemingly because they have low end offerings in big box stores. I posted numbers of folks browsing to show that other forums of other manufacturers have comparable or fewer people viewing at a given time than the schwinn mongoose forum, not in any way did I insinuate that it reflects on the quality, just that user numbers are a BS reason to keep the two brands combined. Numbers do not "make me blush" and honestly if I had the $ I would probably buy an ibis, calm down schwnn8, stop flaming! I'm not losing sleep over it, and again, I am not angry. You seem to be making this into a personal attack on me, making statements regarding me as a "youngster" in a condecending way, telling me to get over myself, etc... You are trolling, and trying to turn this into a flame war... All I am trying to do is get the two brands split off.
    You posted 4 times in a row, not 1 was a productive, contructive, or otherwise helpful post. Get over myself? Hmmm maybe think about taking your own advice man.

mtbr member
    good luck, i would be surprised if the admins actually split the two apart...
    Last edited by shwinn8; 05-04-2010 at 10:53 AM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

www.airbornemtb.org
    they are two separate and distinct brands, one forum is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    I'd like to apologize for my behavior. the build up of stress from a few classes i'm taking on top of work is slowly taking it's toll on me and i lashed out on here which was wrong.
    sorry again,
    -bryan
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    I agree they should split them Schwinn should be on there own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Works Fine For Me . . . .

Just by coincidence, I own a Schwinn and a Mongoose. This one-stop shopping is actually kind of convenient . . . .