Thread: Score!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Score!

I've only had my 99 Homegrown Factory Suspension about 4 weeks, and am totally loving it. I am, however, missing disc brakes. The XT v-brakes and ceramic coated rims are quite good, noisy but good. Not close to disc's, though. My long range plan was to go with discs in front once I wrecked the rim, and maybe I'd figure out how to get a disc on the rear, but not make it a priority.
    I was looking for Rockshox redrum oil for a shock rebuild at my LBS, and talking to the very cool wrench there when I asked "If you were looking for one of the old Hayes rear brake calipers with the 22mm mounts, where would you go?" His answer: "To the shelf back here". He goes back and rummages through a box and Presto! 1 never used or mounted rear brake caliper and lever, that will mount up on the polished rear triangle of "Homie G" and my braketinkering days are over!
    So, where did this come from? Once upon a time (2003? 2002?) Hayes sent them a rear lever and caliper with a front hose, so the part was unusable as-is. They had this on the shelf for years including a store location change.
    SOooo, sez I, this part is pretty much worthless to you guys, isn't it? I'll give you five bucks for it, no warranty implied or questions asked. No deal at $5, but when he answered $20, I was trying to figure out how I would not to run out of the place cackling after my purchase. It was a close call.
    I now have the 1 thing that was keeping me from going to disks on this old rig once the rims get beat up in another year or so. I tend to hit stuff. Even if they don't, I will be doing the upgrade before 2011.
    Last edited by fastboy143; 04-24-2009 at 04:52 PM.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Holy crap, you got a 22mm for $20! That's a FANTASTIC score! With the SID fork and its 51mm IS mounts, you're all set.

mtbr member
    Wow! I guess I better save my spare one. It is used but I just need to bleed it and it will be good as new.