mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Schwinn Sweetspot cable routing

I'm working on building up a carbon Sweetspot as a single speed for a friend, and the cable routing had been bothering me for a while. I never understood why they ran the cables down the bottom of the frame, especially since it put a lot of bends in the cable. With the standard cable routing, the rear brake felt like absolute crap; very mushing and soft. After looking at it for a while, I just grabbed the drill, and drilled out the top and middle cable stop and ran the brake cable direct to the rear triangle, and zip tied the housing to the top of the rear triangle. The routing looks better, and it feels so, so much better. If you're willing to put a drill to your frame, this is a great modification.

I know this thread will only interest a very small amount of people, but someone might find it useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwinn Sweetspot cable routing-sweetspot1.jpg  

Schwinn Sweetspot cable routing-sweetspot2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice job Bad Mechanic. I'll do the same when I switch to a rear disc and hydraulic hose.
    Thanks for the pics.
    Rob.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It does look like it will work better. I'm speculating, but by routing on the bottom, it gives the bike a neater/cleaner appearance. I'm building a carbon S-10 and running BB7's in the back. If it still feels mushy, I will do the same thing. Thanks again BM. Your tips are always solid.
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.