mtbr member

Schwinn Rocket 88

I ordered a Schwinn Rocket 88 frame off of ebay for 10$ brand new now I'm going to look for a used Schwinn 88 to get the rear swing arm to put on my frame the question is will all years work with the 2000 frame thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

No

Quote Originally Posted by Guy74
    I ordered a Schwinn Rocket 88 frame off of ebay for 10$ brand new now I'm going to look for a used Schwinn 88 to get the rear swing arm to put on my frame the question is will all years work with the 2000 frame thanks.
    There was 2 different linkage designs. I am not sure exactly when the change happened, but it was around 2000.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    I read they have bushing probs but found a place that sells them any one else know what years would work.

Crazy about Homegrowns

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I think my 2001 has a different lower linkagage and I am pretty sure it has bearings instead of bushings.

I dig it out and post pics if it would help

L7

mtbr member
    Yes please.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Off the top of my head:

2000 was unique. It was the only year with the lower pivots concentric with the BB. All Rocket88's after that (2001, 2002) had non-concentric lower pivots and looked just like a DW link. The pivots sometimes wear out on the 2000's, but you can find new bushings on Ebay every so often. Not sure if McMaster Carr has a bushing that will work, but that'd be a good place to try if you need them.

So if you bought a 2000 frame, you have no choice but to use 2000 rear triangle parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Here are a couple of images. If you need something else let me know.

L7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwinn Rocket 88-r88.jpg  

Schwinn Rocket 88-r88rear.jpg  

CTB
    mtbr member
    Edited. Useless post on my part.

mtbr member
    Thanks Laslo7 for pics I just got back from vacation and was looking at your frame they look alike but above your bottom bracket does your rear tringle connect there here are some pics of my frame.

mtbr member
    If my memory serves me correctly, that suspension design was around for only one year. Years after they switched to the design on the silver bike in the pics above. You got your work cut out for you buying the rear half!

mtbr member
    Your right I think I have my work cut out maybe one day one will pop up some were.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi Laslo 7. Sorry for my bad english (I live in Zaragozoza, Spain). I have a Schwinn Rocket 88, and IŽd like to know what is the most longer rear shock I can install. I think that the correct measure is 6.5 inches (eye to eye), but I wonder If I could put a 6 or 7 inches. Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hi SeryVan,

I actually asked this question some time ago and I was told that you won't get much more than stock.

Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 3 (2001) Upgrades

L7