mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Schwinn & Mongoose Worth It?

I do not go to Walmart much, but I happened to be strolling through the Walmart bike section and noticed that Walmart sells both Schwinn and Mongoose, names I knew to be good while growing up. Does this mean that both companies are now crap? I heard that Schwinn was bought out, but by who I didnt know. Are there any Mongoose or Schwinns out there worth buying anymore? Or are they all crappy production bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mongoose makes some great bikes but they're only found at traditional bike stores as far as I know. I know their product manager who also helps with our area trail building and we see his production and prototype bikes that are very good.

It's a competitive market where it is usually the case that you get what you pay for no matter the brand. As in Trek has $400 and $4000 bikes and any bike with good components will not be dirt cheap.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Yes, there are some Schwin and Mongoose bikes worth buying. None of them can be found inside a Wal-Mart. Neither can anything else worth buying, for that matter.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There are actually "two" Mongoose and Schwinn companies, each with their separate sourcing lines.

One sourcing line is the department store/mass merchant sector.

The other is the IBD/LBS channel.

Each are spec'd and priced accordingly.

Think of this as Toyota vs. Lexus, Nissan vs. Infiniti, Honda vs. Acura.

"Same" companies, but different specs.

I think Schwinn and Mongoose made a big mistake by not differentiating their brands at the dept/mass vs. IBD/LBS channels, and avoiding the present confusion and dilution of those brands at the higher ends.

At the IBD/LBS levels, you are getting some of the biggest bang for the buck out there; for example, check out the Mongoose Canaan Elite, or the Teocali Super (which Performance blew out for $1700).

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I agree. I worked at a shop that carried the shop-quality Schwinn bikes. The shop dropped the brand because they're hard to sell since the Schwinn name has a low-quality stigma around it. It's kinda like Shimano lending their name to some low-quality parts for Wal-Mart bikes. Except the good stigma of Shimano helps and the bad stigma of Schwinn hurts.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    theres also the fact that the Schwinn and Mongoose names helped then sell millions of department store bikes over brands like Next and such. But all that money they make on those bikes means great deals on bike shop Schwinns, Mongooses, GT's and Dynos
    06 Mongoose Teocali

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivisect_VI
    theres also the fact that the Schwinn and Mongoose names helped then sell millions of department store bikes over brands like Next and such. But all that money they make on those bikes means great deals on bike shop Schwinns, Mongooses, GT's and Dynos
    Couldn't say it better myself. That's this ticket.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a Mongoose Cannan Elite and LOVING it!!! By far for the price range it was the best bang for the buck. The component spec was awesome, not a single "house brand" part on the bike.....almost makes the bike "boring" so to speak in the upgrade dept. as there's nothing I feel needs upgrading!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    +1 on the above post... I just picked up a Mongoose Canaan Team and this bike is sensational... a true race weapon. Fast, light, flickable and just begs to be ridden hard.