mtbr member
    Nov 2010

schwinn fan new to MTBR

i built this bike around 5 years ago, and it has been my only mountain bike since then. if anyone knows someone selling a 21" gold '00-'01 homegrown frame, let me know. i would like another to build as a geared bike.

frame - gold anodized '00 Schwinn Homegrown Limited N'litened platinum label
    fork - vicious cycles
    headset - aheadset ICBM w/ sealed bearings
    stem - thomson elite
    handlebars - titec hellbent XC
    brakes/levers - Avid SD Ultimate
    grips - salsa pepperjacks
    seatpost - thomson elite
    seat - SDG bel-air
    bottom bracket - race face ISIS
    crankset - race face turbine ISIS
    chainring - spot 36T
    chainring guard - spot
    chain - SRAM PC-68
    freewheel - ACS claws 18T
    wheels - hand built - paul hubs laced 3X to mavic X517 rims
    tires - panaracer fire XC pro 1.8
    pedals - sun ringle ZuZu or crank bros eggbeaters (depending on the ride)

mtbr member
    Why just gold the 2001 blue and black frames are the exact same frame just different color.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by schwinnguy74
    Why just gold the 2001 blue and black frames are the exact same frame just different color.
    just my preference. even though the blue and black ones are the same frame, they were not the frame on the "best of the last" bikes that schwinn made.

mtbr member
    they were not the frame on the "best of the last" bikes that schwinn made.
    Ok good luck.

mtbr member
    hhmmm.. that's a niice schwinn! welcome to the party!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How are you tensioning the chain?

Although my preference is for the Bass Boat frames, I still warms my cold, dark heart to see another SS Homegrown.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    How are you tensioning the chain?

Although my preference is for the Bass Boat frames, I still warms my cold, dark heart to see another SS Homegrown.
    i am using the old style surly singleator, but i really want to try paul's new eccentric bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ah yes, missed it the first time around.

You mean Phil's? Check out the FC EBB. It's been around for a while now, and it works really well.

http://www.forwardcycle.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ah yes, missed it the first time around.

You mean Phil's? Check out the FC EBB. It's been around for a while now, and it works really well.

http://www.forwardcycle.com/
    isnt that only for the 68mm bottom bracket shell? i dont want to be facing my shell (messing up my frame) down to 68mm on my bike. and yes, i did mean phil's

edit - after reading more on both the forward components eccentric unit and the phil wood eccentric unit, neither will work with my crankset, and i really dont want to give up my crankset just to ditch my chain tensioner.
    Last edited by tomatoSS; 12-03-2010 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatoSS
    isnt that only for the 68mm bottom bracket shell? i dont want to be facing my shell (messing up my frame) down to 68mm on my bike. and yes, i did mean phil's

edit - after reading more on both the forward components eccentric unit and the phil wood eccentric unit, neither will work with my crankset, and i really dont want to give up my crankset just to ditch my chain tensioner.
    68mm shell if you don't modify the crankset. If you grind off the granny ring mounts you can use it on a 73mm shell.

If you don't want to ditch the crankset, then check out the White Industries Eno Eccentric rear hub. It works very well, and in my opinion, is the second best tensioner available behind the FC EBB. I used one on my hardtail Homegrown for a while, and still use one on my Sweetspot Homegrown.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    68mm shell if you don't modify the crankset. If you grind off the granny ring mounts you can use it on a 73mm shell.

If you don't want to ditch the crankset, then check out the White Industries Eno Eccentric rear hub. It works very well, and in my opinion, is the second best tensioner available behind the FC EBB. I used one on my hardtail Homegrown for a while, and still use one on my Sweetspot Homegrown.
    i might just have to live with my surly tensioner then. i really dont want to give up my paul rear hub for the white industries hub. it seems like either option, i am ditching a component on my bike that i paid pretty good money for.