mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Rocket 88 upgrades?

Hi All,

I have a 2001 Rocket 88 that I am thinking of replacing.
    I have found a few candidates but I was thinking of upgrading the 88 since I like it.

The bike is a mostly stock stage 3. (Mountain Mix, Avid SD3's, Manitou SX-R, Fox Float)
    I had to replace rims last year so they are new (Deore, Ryno Lites) and have contemplated replacing the the stem which is like a mile long.

Can the bike be given more suspension travel?
    So my question for you guys is what upgrades would you recommend?

Questions let me know.
    Thanks for the input.
    L7

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

My thoughts...

Can the bike be given more suspension travel?

Anything is possible, but it isn't practical. It would take some engineering and fabrication - not too many people could do it right. And, why would you want to? The bike is an XC bike, not made for longer travel.

So my question for you guys is what upgrades would you recommend?
    New air shock and a new fork.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What debaucherous said! ;-)

Nice new fork and shock will give you less weight and more tunability = better ride.

Depends on your budget though. Buy the best you can afford (or justify to your mrs! lol) and replace anything that will give you more enjoyment from the bike.

CTB
    mtbr member
    The Rocket 88 is already a pretty light bike, so some modern legs would be pretty nice, I think. I'm partial to Fox myself, but others will give you other opinions. I recall the shock is a fairly standard size, but they aren't uber cheap. It's the end of the season - you might find a good deal on a Fox F100 fork somewhere, which would do you well. (The Rocket had 100mm up front, right?)

As for your original question, I believe they've said it already. Since the Rocket is pretty much a DW link design, I'm betting the rear triangle already comes as close as it can to the seat tube as-is. More travel would mean something would have to change big-time somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

We the people ...

So as far as the having increased travel I seem to have asked this question already...

Doh

So I have been looking into some hydraulic brakes and some other odds and ends to replace worn parts.

When look for new hydraulic brakes is there any gotchas that I need to be aware of? The hubs are the bolt variety.

Thanks for all the input!

L7

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

pics or explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Laslo7
    The hubs are the bolt variety.

L7
    Post a pic, or explain. I am not sure what you mean...
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Deore Hubs 6 bolt style.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Only disc thing...

If you are buying used from craigs or ebay make sure the rotors are 6 bolt style and the calipers will bolt to your frame. 6 bolt rotors, and caliper mounts are pretty universal now, but there were some other styles available in the early disc days. Shouldn't be an issue if you are buying new parts.

Have fun -