Thread: Rear Shocks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Rear Shocks

Hey All, I'm goning to pick up a 09 Teocali comp this weekend. I'm a little worried about the rear shock, so I was looking around at some Fox rp2/rp23 and so. What I'm not sure about, the Mongoose website says the reat shock is a 200x57 which = 7.8738....x 2.24403... so would a 7.87x 2 shock work? or is there some other size I don't see?

Anyway thanks for any help and sorry if this been asked before, I tried to search first and didn't seem to come up with anything, maybe used the wrong keywords dont know.

Derek

CTB
    mtbr member
    If the shock travel really is 2.24, then the shock you ask will work with one big drawback - assuming a fairly common 2.6 motion ratio of the rear suspension (I haven't looked at the Teocali yet), than that loss of 0.24" will be about 0.7" of wheel travel at the rear. You decide if you want to lose that much travel. Once I'm at my own computer, I might be able to find a Teocali model to use in Linkage and find the actual motion ratio of the bike and give a better read on wheel travel loss.

What brand/model is the OEM shock?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Epicon? I think I found a Fox 7.785 x 2.25, that seems closer.

What?
    I have an 08 teocali and went from a 57mm stroke to a 50mm stroke. you end up with 130mm of travelat the axel( I tested this so I know it to be fact). They stock epicon shock on my 08 would never use more then 1 3/4 inches of its stroke unelss I set the sag so at about 35% so it was still an upgrade. The epicon shock is junk so get rid of it ASAP.

130 mm is 5.1 inches where 145mm is 5.7 so you lose about 5/8 of an inch of travel.

mtbr member
    Check out x fusion shocks. I have an 02RL dual chamber on my 08 khyber and I love it. Super smooth, and if you get the dual chamber feature it gives awesome ramp up adjustability. They are also a bit cheaper than Fox.
    http://www.x-fusion-shox.com/shocks/o2/prodid/5
    they have an 02RL that is 200X56
    if you are ok with losing .04 inches of stroke I think that it will work

I really like mine and it's a year or two old and still smooth as butter. If you are interested, PM me and I will give you the number for one of their sales reps, he's great and will totally take care of you.