mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Question on suspension fork for Mongoose Sabrosa

Hi all,

I've got a 2009 Mongoose Sabrosa Single Speed (with some upgrades, most notably a Alfine IGH hub) - Mongoose - Sabrosa SS- 2009 Reviews

Still currently has the slick tires on it, though I've been contemplating throwing some 29er MTB tires as well as a 29er suspension fork on there for some time now.

It currently has the rigid fork on it, and swapping to a suspension fork seems easy enough, though I seem to recall someone telling me in the past that my frame isn't suspension corrected.

Assuming that's true - would it be problematic to put a suspension fork on this frame? If so - in what sense?

Admittedly, I'm a little out of my depth here, and my searches haven't exactly yielded fruit (maybe I'm using the wrong queries). So any input you could provide I'd appreciate.

Thanks!

What?
    Suspension forks are longer then a standard rigid fork. Since your frame is designed around a rigid fork, putting a suspension fork on it can cause a few different problems. The biggest is handling. When you put a longer fork on, it slackens your head tube angle which slows down your steering and make it feel unresponsive, mostly noticeable at slower speeds. It also raises your bottom bracket height and seat tube angle which also would change the feel of your bike.

The biggest problem would be the extra stress it creates on the frame. Frames are designed around a certain axle to crown length(this is how fork length is measured). If you exceed the maximum length, you risk cracking the frame or even worse, snapping the head tube off.

Long story short, its probably not a good idea. If you really want to do it, contact Mongoose and see what they think. Its possible that the frame is designed to handle a very short travel suspension fork. I wouldnt try it unless Mongoose says its ok though.

What could go wrong ...
    I am building up a Sabrosa but I havent decided on a fork yet. I have a Surly Instigator fork on hand but I would consider putting a 80mm fork on this frame.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thank you both for your input.

I really have this bike the way I want it (save for the tires and the fork) and was hoping to get away with just upgrading those two. Looks like I might need to factor in a frame upgrade too. Rats.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    I like these bikes. Nashbar is out of frames and I can't find a Medium. Any other retailers carry these?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Granted, I got mine a couple years ago, but my LBS was a Mongoose dealer - that's where I got mine.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, my local dealer doesn't have any.