Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

avids

thanks. I didn't know. They are brand new. I've got one ride on them. I'm still adjusting things a bit to get the best feel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

hi all, here's a pic of my humble bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

90's Schwinn

Here are my two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-110709_13021.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-phone-pictures-020.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

follow up

CTB and Bad Mechanic

A while back you guys gave me some great support re some mods after 10 years riding stock on my homegrown.

I went to full v's so removed the front disk. IRC tires seem to grip well for my riding.
    I opted for the 80 mm fork, which was pushing it some.
    I noticed that front end wheelies were a problem during climbs since i changed from my stock 63 mm judy xc fork to a 80 mm sid fork. I had shortened the stem previously to 90 mm from the stock 110mm for comfort before i added the sid fork. But with the increased travel came more twitch with the shorter stem combo. It was nearly imposible to find my old comfort position on climbs.

I now returned the stock 110 mm stem and couldn't be happier with it again. I feel a good balance between comfort and handling. It always climbed well but i wasn't prepared for domino affect of changes when i tried to get some comfort with added travel and a shorter stem.

the last photo i think shows that best the new difference between the short stem and long one.
    Now onto my fun buildup schwinn homegrown (same yr frame and color). I might add some slicks for the road. I will post it soon...well we'll see. thanks guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dsc03152.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dsc03149.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dsc03091.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dsc03100.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dsc03145.jpg  

CTB
    mtbr member
    Glad to help, esp with such a beautiful bike. If you still find yourself wheelie-ing too much, you look like you can drop some spacers out from under the stem as well, as the stem height incrased with the longer fork. Nice to know you immediately found a good solution with the 110 stem again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

thanks

I didn't think about that re reducing the height up front by dropping the stem down a spacer then putting a spacer above (i think this is was you said). I may just try it for for next ride this weds (vetran's day off from work).

thanks.

CTB
    mtbr member
    In theory, if you run (example) 20% sag up front, you only need to drop about 5mm to be the same:

63mm * 0.2 sag = 12.6
    80mm * 0.2 sag = 16.0, giving a 3.6mm difference once sagged out.

So you don't have to drop the front too terribly much, but it is still something to try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

thanks

I'll save that for future reference for sure. I took it out today for a ride. climbing seems good but now back tire slippage b/c of leaves everywhere here in NE. Makes you slow b/c you can't see below, but still nice to get out...

moves fast on flats and singles. feels incredibilty light up front. i'm getting close to a great feel. I want to run a race or two next year (dream of mine since i bought it in 1998). Well...obviously life i short and i'm getting older. Good for my boys to see their old dad compete in something cool.
    Last edited by 1998 schwinn; 11-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Hey, I just noticed I gave you a load of bullcrap with those numbers. What I should have said:

63mm * 0.8 = 50.4
    80mm * 0.8 = 64

for a 13.6mm difference in height with you on the bike (approximate - it would depend on the two forks' axle-to-crown dimensions). Unsagged, the stem with the 80mm fork starts out the full 17mm higher from the ground; after sagging them both 20%, the 80mm is now 13.6mm higher.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Edited out double post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    hey guys, can i ask whether the moab is able to run 2.35" tires? i am actually looking for 2.2"/2.25" but the high rollers doesnt come in those sizes.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'm running Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4's on my Moab commuter bike. Now, it's a commuter, so I don't need mud clearance, etc. Also, I have to deflate the tire to get it in/out of the V-brakes/frame on the rear; it will not come out of the frame if it is inflated due to the Epicenter seat stay design. Also, one of the V-brake arms will *just* buzz the tire when I apply the rear brakes - the Holy Rollers are giant tires, though.

I would say if you accept these limitations, you can run them, but expect them to be bad for mud/leaf clearance in the back. Also, switch to discs if you can to make it just a little easier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    I'm running Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4's on my Moab commuter bike. Now, it's a commuter, so I don't need mud clearance, etc. Also, I have to deflate the tire to get it in/out of the V-brakes/frame on the rear; it will not come out of the frame if it is inflated due to the Epicenter seat stay design. Also, one of the V-brake arms will *just* buzz the tire when I apply the rear brakes - the Holy Rollers are giant tires, though.

I would say if you accept these limitations, you can run them, but expect them to be bad for mud/leaf clearance in the back. Also, switch to discs if you can to make it just a little easier.
    thanx for the reply man.

i just find my 2.1s too skinny.. haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i ran 2.3 wtb weirwolves front and rear...plenty-o-room...
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

no problem

I've got this one saved for future reference.

thanks again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    my all original except for the seat and bars 98 moab. just pulled it out of the shed where it has been hiding for a few years.

could some one tell me what the fork travel is on the rs judy t2? i'm looking to upgrade and from what i read in this thread i want to make sure i don't buy a fork with to much travel and screw up the geo.

CTB
    mtbr member
    My Judy T2 was 63mm. I rode my bike with an 80mm with no problems at all after taking off the T2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

moab travel

Thanks to bad mechanic and CTB I upgraded with confidence my HG's travel from the stock 63mm judy xc to 80mm judy sid xc. Anything more they suggested would throw the xc geo fell off.

so 80mm max,i suggest too. I rides great and takes bigger bumps too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    oh ya...my HG is a 98 and i believe that share a similiar geo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks guys, i'm doing a search now to see whats out there

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravman
    my all original except for the seat and bars 98 moab. just pulled it out of the shed where it has been hiding for a few years.

could some one tell me what the fork travel is on the rs judy t2? i'm looking to upgrade and from what i read in this thread i want to make sure i don't buy a fork with to much travel and screw up the geo.

Nice bike.

I have been looking for one of those steel Moabs for years!

I found a perfect 19" a couple years back, but I need a 17".

An 80mm fork will work just fine on there. You could get it down to the same height as a 63mm fork if you set the sag up correctly, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Singletrack Slayer

Homegrown SS project

What do you think! It rides really nice and feels like Mtn Bmx. Light as hell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dsc01118.jpg  

~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

CTB
    mtbr member
    BBB, the true Homegrown paint job.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

I couldn't agree more

That BBB sure is purtty

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It is still, in my opinion, the best paint job ever put on a bike.

It saddens me my Homegrown uses the second generation BBB.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles
    What do you think! It rides really nice and feels like Mtn Bmx. Light as hell
    I think the frame might be a little small for you.

I am, however, quite a fan of SS Homegrowns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

when did the second gen paint jobs start?

I've seen the bass boat at least a couple of years prior to my 98. The earlier paints look stronger or harder to flake.

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    I think the frame might be a little small for you.

I am, however, quite a fan of SS Homegrowns.

yeah, just a little!! It was a steal of a deal and I really missed not having a Homegrown, I got the Thomson 400mm for that reason, I really don't plan to ride it much, but ya never know. I will ride it this weekend and see how it goes. I really wish it was a 17" I usually have it hanging above my work area. It was just itching to be ridden had it for 6yrs.
    Last edited by DavidNeiles; 11-24-2009 at 08:07 PM.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound
    Nice bike.

I have been looking for one of those steel Moabs for years!

I found a perfect 19" a couple years back, but I need a 17".

An 80mm fork will work just fine on there. You could get it down to the same height as a 63mm fork if you set the sag up correctly, but I wouldn't worry about it.
    i have been pondering possibly selling it. i think it is a 17", but i don't know for sure. the frame does not say on it and i can't remember. where would i measure on it to know. i have a 30" inseam and it is just a tad close if you know what i mean. i also have the original seat which looks brand new.

i have no clue as to what it is worth and if i put the original seat back on it it would be just as i bought it(except for the bars) right down to the brake pads. if you might be interested let me know.

steve

CTB
    mtbr member
    Measure from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube. You can also measure the head tube, as the 17 and 19" Schwinns generally have different lengths there and it is an easy measurement to do. 17's shoud be about 90mm and 19's should be about 110mm, give or take.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

my HG is a 17

I have a 30 inseam fits me perfectly...isn't the moab's geo exactly the same?

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravman
    i have no clue as to what it is worth and if i put the original seat back on it it would be just as i bought it(except for the bars) right down to the brake pads. if you might be interested let me know.
    To be honest, all I'd be interested in is the frame. That 19" I found a few years back was practically new, complete, and $140...it was just too big for me.

If it's complete and works for you, it's probably not worth taking it apart to sell. Enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound
    To be honest, all I'd be interested in is the frame. That 19" I found a few years back was practically new, complete, and $140...it was just too big for me.

If it's complete and works for you, it's probably not worth taking it apart to sell. Enjoy it.

when it came down to it i don't think i could part with it. i will probably keep it and a buy a second bike over the winter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Nice, esp the bass boat Bangers! But what about pics of the older Paramount mtbs - early 90's RS series, late 80's PDGs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here is my 2001 straight 8. I have had it for a couple months now and love it.I am also in the market for a straight 6 and 4 banger so let me know if any of you guys are selling one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aohammer
    But what about pics of the older Paramount mtbs - early 90's RS series, late 80's PDGs?
    Something like this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Something like this?

Oooh yeah! That FS is a rare one. More Paramounts please.... I'm looking for an RS-80 or PDG 90.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998 schwinn
    Thanks to bad mechanic and CTB I upgraded with confidence my HG's travel from the stock 63mm judy xc to 80mm judy sid xc. Anything more they suggested would throw the xc geo fell off.

so 80mm max,i suggest too. I rides great and takes bigger bumps too.
    I have a 97 Mesa GSX with a Q5 fork. I think it is just 45mm travel. Would a 80 mm fork throw out the geometry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmc7759
    I have a 97 Mesa GSX with a Q5 fork. I think it is just 45mm travel. Would a 80 mm fork throw out the geometry?
    Not badly enough to worry about it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

99 Mesa GS

Here is my 10 year old Mesa GS I have been doing a lot of singletrac riding on lately. I have put some money in it lately to get it "up-to-speed"

Upgrades include:
    • Rock Shox Dart 3 Fork
    • Shimano 21 speed trigger shifters
    • Shimano hybrid clip pedals
    • New 2.3 inch width tires
    • Contour BBB grips
    • New Gel Cuishion seat
    • other small upgrades...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-schwinn_99mesags.jpg  

CTB
    mtbr member
    I love that blue. Your Mesa looks to be the same age and color as my Moab. Nice!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    lolcat

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

i agree

that is a nice color combo...something i've never seen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

1997 Mesa GSX. This bike sat for about 8 years, I took it to the lbs and they tuned it up. I have ridden it for the past year with no problems. It has a Bell seat straight from Wal-Mart (my dog ate the original seat). I put some Wellgo platform pedals on it for my benefit and changed the bars to some Titec ones (I went over the bars and bent the originals).

www.airbornemtb.org
    just picked this puppy up dirt cheap off craigslist...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-schwinn-s20-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    component list...?
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by adubb25
    component list...?
    Looks like a close to stock 15" S-20, meaning LX level components and a Judy TT up front.
    Last edited by bad mechanic; 12-29-2009 at 12:58 PM.

www.airbornemtb.org
    Looks like a close to stock 5" S-20, meaning LX level components and a Judy TT up front.
    pretty much, although i love the frame i just cant live with some of those componants if i plan to actually ride it on the trails-which i do......so ive since swapped out the judy tt for a psylo race, put some of my favorite vintage lx servo-wave levers on and will soon be changing out the moab tires for some irc mythos xc's and probably a lighter crankset and bb. oh yeah i also added some riser bars. nice light wheelset eventually.

taking it for its maiden voyage tonight!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

follow up ...mythos

I was told that my bike was light when i got it and felt that way. After eleven years and a bunch of mods to my 98 homegrown recently (with the generous advice of CTB, bad mechanic and others here), I finally weighed her ..... 23.4 lbs.

Schwinn really was on to someting....I still have yet to find time to work on 2nd HG, but I have everything i need, but time.

Nick d: i believe ctb and bad mechanic recom. the ircs to me and i love them. they bite well enough and roll nicely.

just a couple of winter photos.....i took it out for some much needed sun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-xmas-022.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-xmas-021.jpg  

www.airbornemtb.org
    very nice homegrown! looks nice and clean!

yeah i love the irc mythos xc's, very grippy, light and cheap!

ive also got an old schwinn moab2-blue with black darts-that ive rode the heck out of since i bought it. its unfortunatly got a completely stripped bb threads so ill eventually have to get a threadless bb conversion for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    thanks. i love schwinns...there is soo much you can do to them or you can do nothing at all and they are still great bikes. Happy New Year!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    do any of you know whether the bottom brackets in the HGs corresponded with the crankset...xt with xt type etc? Did not find any mention of it in my 98 booklet.

mtbr member
    In the 'olden days' it was common for bike manufacturers to install a cheap and heavy bottom bracket as they could save money and it wasn't readily apparent to the end consumer. It wasn't dishonesty or anything, just a way to save money without calling attention to itself.

I don't know if this applied to the homegrowns or not, but having an XT crank was not a clear indicator that you had the XT bottom bracket (the BB-UN72).
    I don't know if this helps or not. Maybe others who bought fully built homegrowns can chime in.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Take this for what you paid for it. My 2000 4-Banger (non Homegrown version) had XT cranks and an XT ES70 BB. However, that is likely due to the fact that the XT cranks were Octalink, and also because the 2000 Banger appears to have been created with weight loss in mind. The ES70 is much lighter than the square taper ones.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was looking at some online specials. Always looking and saw bottom brackets. I thought mine would be a the un72. I should probably check it (if visible on the outside).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I couldn't tell just looking at it closely. I looks sqaure. Is there a decent weight savings there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    bike pedia says that the 98 HG Factory FS has a un 72. I can;t assume that the are the same.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The UN72 will have a chrome spindle, while the lower level one will have a standard steel one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I had to clean it some .....i saw that it is chrome...very shiny after all of these years, in fact. Money better spent on other 98 HG build, which has the same drivetrain.

Thanks!

www.airbornemtb.org
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailBurner
    In the 'olden days' it was common for bike manufacturers to install a cheap and heavy bottom bracket as they could save money and it wasn't readily apparent to the end consumer. It wasn't dishonesty or anything, just a way to save money without calling attention to itself.

I don't know if this applied to the homegrowns or not, but having an XT crank was not a clear indicator that you had the XT bottom bracket (the BB-UN72).
    I don't know if this helps or not. Maybe others who bought fully built homegrowns can chime in.
    BINGO, and schwinn did this on many of their bikes back in the day-i know that cause i worked in a schwinn shop and we even had to change some out after they failed prematurely. it was kinda suprising to pull off an lx crank and find a generic bb hiding in there! but like you said, back then that was something alot of manufacturers did to save a few bucks on those square taper bb's.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just finished this one up yesterday - 2001 Schwinn Moab Rigid Disc 1x9

Added a Surly 1x1 rigid fork

34T chainring w/ an MRP Mini-G chain guide

and Sram X-9 med-cage rear derailleur w/ X-9 trigger (not pictured)

CTB
    mtbr member
    Bad Voodoo, what front tire is that?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Bad Voodoo, what front tire is that?
    Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

My '04

Well here is my '04.. I know its a Pacific-Schwinn, and not a classic, but it gets me around just fine. I bought it on the cheap, after my Cannondale was stolen. Replaced a few parts with stuff I had around. And you know what, it works just fine.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Looks pretty nice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Looks pretty nice!
    Thanks! It gets me around the "mountains" of Houston, plus pulling the kiddie wagon...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    2000 Schwinn Moab 1

Everything has been replaced besides the original XTR Rear Derailleur. It's been to moab 3 times, the only thing crappy about the stock bike was the wheelset. I tacoed the front rim during my first trip to Moab and a couple years later the spokes on the rear wheel started to break and rearhub went out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

1996 Homegrown

Bought the frame off Craigslist and just recently finished building it up. The frame is factory painted, however never was finished with decals and such. I added the headtube badge as a personal touch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-img_0698-1024x768-.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-img_0696-1024x768-.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-img_0697-1024x768-.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-img_0699-1024x768-.jpg  

CTB
    mtbr member
    I like the Chicago badge. Looks good on the bike.

Trail Ninja
    Here's my beater Schwinn Homegrown. I bought it used 4-6 years ago to play around on while in the USAF. I'm actually curious about finding out its manufacturing date and if it's Yeti made or not. It's so beat up and near obsolete that I'm looking to either upgrade or buy a new bike.

It's not so fun not being able to go as fast since the brakes are so weak that I have to ride the brakes nearly full time down hills to keep myself around 20-25 mph max. Also, the chain rings are about done for, especially the the middle ring.

My only clue is that it's equipped with a Marzocchi Bomber that has a 2001 sticker on it, most likely an aftermarket addition by the previous owner. I browsed through this whole thread and don't see any like it, with the homegrown sticker on the downtube, only a tomato on the seat tube, and no sticker to show what tubeset it uses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Check for the serial number either stamped on the BB shell or the inside of the left drop out. You may be able to gleen the year from this. The number on my HG (HS 6301) is located on the drop out. However, I am not sure how to determain the year from this number. Check this site out:

http://www.bonustomato.com/web

mtbr member
    May 2009

Homegrown Factory (I think) on slicks after a beer run (the two black sacks hanging from the bars. The frame is now displayed as a piece of art. She's retired but could see action again some day for joyrides.

Trail Ninja
    According to bonus tomato, my frame is the '98 Factory XT with most of the blue flaked off and the decals almost all gone. Since it's a "Factory" made between '97 and '99, it was made by Yeti according to them. Upgrade worthy unless I want to upgrade to a Ti frame.

http://www.bonustomato.com/web/?q=node/307

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Varaxis: I like it. tons. Looks like a beater, is made from 7000 series aluminum and with the v-brakes and old XT kit on it I would guess it weighs under 27 lbs. I love secrets. Climbs and aggressive sprints are sooo much fun when you blast a $3K bike on something that looks like that. That is the kind of hardtail I would go back to if I were inclined to do so. I'm still in the honeymoon phase of full suspension though.<edit: with the bomber it is probably heavier. Still awesome.>
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    PS, I recently had to replace the chainrings on my 99 XT crank. The current XT is not the same design and won't fit. Shimano shifted all the levels down when they refined the design, so if you want to replace the chainrings, look to the current LX (cheap!) for the right fit.
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

Trail Ninja
    I actually found an identical crankset used on eBay for $50+S/H. Not new, but the rings are in much better shape. I have yet to replace it though. I don't think I have the right tools, but saw the shop take it off to examine what kind of replacement I needed and it looked easy (self extracting).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Here are my bikes. The S-20 and I go way back. I got this bike as a pre-order in 1998. I rode it hard and it never failed me. I traded it to a friend for a snowboard when I bought the Homegrown. I only rode the homegrown for a season or so. Well, I have bought back the S-20 and I’m selling the homegrown to pay for the build. I’m also looking for a 15" or 17" 98 Homegrown Factory suspensions in Bass boat Green

CTB
    mtbr member
    Are both your bikes 15"? Very rare!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Are both your bikes 15"? Very rare!
    Yes they are both 15". I pre-ordered the S-20 and then had to fight with the shop owner to actualy get the bike. The sales rep only had one 15" available in the DC area. Two had been ordered. I got lucky. Now that I have bought it back Im going to build it up and ride it again. I love that bike.
    I bought the Homegrown from a local shop as well. I picked it up at a very large discount in 2001. It had been in that store for two years. This bike fits me very well. I just do not ride it. I only used it for a season at my local mountain and then bought a Tomac 204 Magnum for some DH fun.I sold the 4-Banger for $2,000.00 to a tenant in my house in late 2001. They ended up owing me a bunch of cash, so I took it back. I took it out a few weeks ago for the first time in 8 years. Now it is time to let it go. So far I have an offer for $600.00.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Both look outstanding. If I weren't too tall for it (wow, I've NEVER been able to say that before!), I'd be all over you for the Banger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've seen ducrider45 in person. The dude is shockingly short; he's basically a pair of feet with a head stuck on top.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've seen ducrider45 in person. The dude is shockingly short; he's basically a pair of feet with a head stuck on top.
    You forgot to list the over-sized gut in between.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ducrider45
    You forgot to list the over-sized gut in between.
    I was trying to be nice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Both look outstanding. If I weren't too tall for it (wow, I've NEVER been able to say that before!), I'd be all over you for the Banger.
    Looks like it is going to a 120lbs 5'-6" chick in Richmond VA. Still waiting for the cash.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey, have you rebuilt the pivot yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hey, have you rebuilt the pivot yet?
    Not yet. Im going to pull it apart tonight. I just got done with work and I have to run to the post office. Then I can work on the bike. I'll call you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Here is the new 1998 HG. It is too big though. I may be selling this one.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Here is the new 1998 HG. It is too big though. I may be selling this one.
    It's not too big, it just needs a chain. Haha jk.

Was that thing kept in a time capsule or something? It's so clean and so stock looking. I don't remember if those came with panaracer fires or not, but in any event, bravo to a clean clean homegrown.

This thread makes me wanna rebuild mine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    They came with Michelin Wildgrippers. I have a friend with several 19" Hg's I will try one of his before I buy any new parts. I have a stem on the way and I have a few nice seat posts I can use. I still would need a crank and BB.

mtbr member
    Anyone interested in a 98 S-20 in New England? $250. It's all stock except I painted the front triangle flat black (original was a weird blue/purple). 17" frame, stx derailers still has cantilevers and the original Schwinn Moab tires. I've been trying to sell this bike for a while (there hasn't been much interest) and now I'm debating stripping off the back paint and building it to be a little more modern.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxtrax84
    Anyone interested in a 98 S-20 in New England? $250. It's all stock except I painted the front triangle flat black (original was a weird blue/purple). 17" frame, stx derailers still has cantilevers and the original Schwinn Moab tires. I've been trying to sell this bike for a while (there hasn't been much interest) and now I'm debating stripping off the back paint and building it to be a little more modern.
    The 98 S-20's were orange. It may have been an S-10.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Finally!The tomato has risen!

Hey guys,just got my Homegrown built up.I tried to make it look nice while trying to keep the 'bling' down a bit,I think I succeeded,but let me know what you think of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-tn_homegrown-012.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-tn_homegrown-001.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-tn_homegrown-002.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-tn_homegrown-003.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-tn_homegrown-004.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-tn_homegrown-005.jpg  

Last edited by CRed; 06-30-2010 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    cool ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    cool ride!

Thanks,I think it turned out really well.It's nice and light at just under 20 pounds.

mtbr member
    I started stripping the spray paint off of my schwinn and the mystery is solved!

I guess it's an S-30! Ha! You were dead on with the year ducrider, 1997. Wow that time flew by... seeing the old badges makes me want to ride her again.

CTB
    mtbr member
    CRed, looking sharp. Did you set the Race Kings up tubeless? I assume they are Supersonic since they are made in Germany?

Waxtrax, your bike looks SO much better without the spray paint.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    CRed, looking sharp. Did you set the Race Kings up tubeless? I assume they are Supersonic since they are made in Germany?:

Thanks,I love this bike!Yeah,they are the Supersonic versions,but I have yet to try tubeless.I just got back into biking a few years ago after not having a bike for 24 years and to be honest it can still be a bit overwhelming at times even though I have learned a lot the last few years.The choices and technology you have now is mind boggling compared to when I was a kid.

CTB
    mtbr member
    (Sorry, OT)
    If you're going to learn tubeless conversion, get some other tires. The first tire I ever did was a Conti 2.2 Race King Supersonic. It is a (insert expletive here) to get them to seal. They leak through the sidewalls like Swiss cheese. Use a minimum of 3 scoops of Stan's (they will eat 2 for lunch and ask for more), and the only way I got mine to take air was to first seat the tire with a tube, unseat one side, take the tire out, then hit it with the Stan's and air.

That said, I've gotten well over a year of pretty reliable service from mine tubeless, only recently having had a flat (Stan's dried up) and leaking more. I love the tire (465g for a HUGE 2.2), but only on the rear. Scared the hell out of me up front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I really like these tires,they're perfect for my style of riding.I took a long ride today in the rain and not once did I sense that they would slide out from under me,I rode on pavement,cement,wet grass and some single track and they performed well.I had a pair of Ritchies that had low profile tread and they were scary,they were always sliding out from under me.Anyway,yeah if I did tubeless I'd probably keep the Race Kings even though they are a real PITA to convert.I got dirty and my bike got dirty so all in all it was a fun ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005

4 Banger part wanted

I have a complete red 2000 4 Banger that has been sitting in my basement collecting dust. A year after I got it (2001) I cracked it. It took the bankrupt schwinn company 8 months to find a replacement. When I got the replacement it was orange. About 3 months later the deraileur hanger holder screw hole cracked leaving me with no way to hang a deraileur.
    If anybody has the right rear assembly I'm willing to pay for it.
    I miss my 4Banger.
    IMG_0782.JPG

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast