Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nice rides everyone! Here are my two...

My current SS build - Homegrown (built in Yeti Factory)

Old DH bike, no longer have it

be nice to spiders

schwinn homegrown straight 6

my (1998?) schwinn homegrown straight 6 DH bike. it was ridden for one year and then in storage until i bought it a couple of years ago. i recently purchased a santa cruz vp free so this beauty has to go. pretty though, huh?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Schwinn Rocket 88 I recently finished putting together.

*Couldn't post images, I'll have to try later.*
    Last edited by TiGuy; 07-30-2007 at 12:31 AM.

locked - time out

my 2 cents

I mean Schwinns....

2007 Panther
    2005 Fastback

bianchi
    Very nice. Was this frame NOS? Looks clean - like the rest of her bling.

bianchi

Nice

Very nice. Was this frame NOS? She looks clean - like the rest of her bling.

be nice to spiders
    bianchi - it's all original, except for the grips, cranks and chainguide
    i also needed a different bottom bracket to install the chainguide, as the bike originally did not come with one.i still have the cranks, though - the bike was spec. all xtr.
    it was quite the bike in the day!
    cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm looking for a front derailleur for my 99 straight 6 anybody know where I can find one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Most derailers now come with all of the spacers to fit your frame. The problem you may encounter is the cable stop. There is not one on the frame. You will need one in order for the derailer to work.

I didn't want to hassle with it on mine. So I put a 36 tooth front ring on my e13 SRS and an 11-34 on the back. I can pedal it just about anywhere. The only time I wish I had a bigger gear is when I hit the open parts of ski slopes. I spin out rather quickly on those.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    took my homegrown out this weekend...

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    1993 Paramount Team
    #200 out of 500
    sub 22 lb steel bike
    Bought new in 1994. Last one left in the Schwinn warehouse.
    I still love to ride this bike and do so regularly.

This bike rawks. Way to keep it old school....TCK

mtbr member

in commuter mode for now

I'll get better pics at some point but heres mine

edit: ok heres a better pic
    Last edited by Schwinn_Frontier; 09-24-2007 at 09:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex-7
    Here's my steel moab homegrown. Just built up with a surly rigid fork and all deore other bits. Can anyone tell me what year it might be from? I haven't seen many other steel homegrown moabs, and was told it's probably from the mid 90's. Thanks.
    Better late than never, but I believe it's a 1997, the same year as the one I have (same colors, too).

I'll try to get some pics of it up soon...
    Craig

mtbr member
    Here it is my completely stock 1997 Moab 1. I bought this bike brand new, rode it for about a year, then it's been in the garage until a few weeks ago.

Craig

mtbr member
    it's nice to see all them straight6's &8's!!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My Schwinn Rocket Pro 2005, acquired in May 2006, so far so good...

Changes/upgrades over the years:
    1. Shimano Deore Hydro disc brake
    2. Fox Float RLC 130mm
    3. e-thirteen bash guard
    4. SRAM X9 rear derailleur
    5. Mavic Crossride Disc Wheelsets
    6. Kenda Nevagal 1.95inch tyres
    7. Crankbrothers Candy C pedals
    8. DIY GPS holder on handlebar stem.
    9. A2Z rear rotor

Current weight : 30.9lb (previously 33.4lb when purchased)
    Last edited by jazlany; 11-19-2007 at 12:19 AM.

On your left!
    Apr 2007
    99 Homegrown

99 GF Big Sur SS 32x16
    07 GF HiFi Pro

02 Subaru WRX wagon
    06 Suzuki DRZ 450 SM

mtbr member
    Nice photos!
    I love seeing all of these old shcwinns. It brings a tear to my eye!
    I'm a huge schwinn fanatic.

Here is a recent picture of my schwinn in the wild, from last September:

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=TrailBurner]Nice photos!
    I love seeing all of these old shcwinns. It brings a tear to my eye!
    I'm a huge schwinn fanatic.

Here is a recent picture of my schwinn in the wild, from last September:

Very nice Bike!!!

mtbr member
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What a great thread....Here is my Straight 6(sold) that I miss so dearly. I also used to have a Homegrown that was so light and so quick, I am trying to track down a Rocket 88 and a Homegrown right now......I miss Schwinn. My first real mountain bike was a Moab 3, and it really got me into this sport.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

post-snow ride

My racer for this season. It's not how you feel, it's how you look! BTW, if anyone can make a guess at what year this is, let me know. It's all Bass Boat Blue (no silver) and it has the braze on for cantilever style rear brakes.

mtbr member
    Same as mine (see post #101)! I am 99% sure it is 1997 frame. Apparently the last few frames that were built in the Yeti factory at the time.

Your frame looks a lot better than mine though!

bike dork
    That's definitely a '97 Factory frame. Yeti built. Enjoy it, they are great bikes!
    Full disclosure; I sell and repair bikes for a living: http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    mtbdee,
    are you bdee of NEMBA fame? If so, we've met. I ride with the Bikes Unlimited guys and we raced in the same class in Root 66, although this year I graduate to the 40 year olds.

bike dork
    Quote Originally Posted by mballard
    mtbdee,
    are you bdee of NEMBA fame? If so, we've met. I ride with the Bikes Unlimited guys and we raced in the same class in Root 66, although this year I graduate to the 40 year olds.
    Yessiree, that's me. Someone else had bdee over here when I registered. Now mtbdee is kind of my alias
    Full disclosure; I sell and repair bikes for a living: http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by mballard
    BTW, if anyone can make a guess at what year this is, let me know. It's all Bass Boat Blue (no silver) and it has the braze on for cantilever style rear brakes.
    No disc tabs and the badge make it pre-2000... Been repainted?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yep, no disc tabs for the rear. As far as I know it has not been re-painted. I had to replace the front derailuer and some of the clear coat came off with the old front der. making me think it's still original paint and clear coat on the bike. I also replaced a few parts (fork, cassette, front der., bars, tires) with extra stuff I had or bought seperately. The parts that were on it that got replaced seemed old. Actually, the XT crankset on there is still the kind where the spider attaches to the big ring so you can't remove any of the front rings off the bike unless you pull the cranks entirely. The frame is the same as bike21's SS rig on page 5, but the paint seems to more closely resemble willie b's FS pic a few reply's down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Schwinn DSX S60

I've replaced the forks with a Marzocchi All Mountain 4 150mm fork. The rear shock has been replaced with a Fox Vanilla coilover. I have also replaced the front brakes with Hayes MX-2 disc setup. I replaced the seat with a specialized BG-2 sport

mtbr member
    1997 Mesa

My Grandfather took me to the bike shop for my 13th birthday and told me I could pick any bike I wanted. I really wanted the Moab, but I felt bad asking him to spend that much even though he is very well off. I wish I had gotten the Moab, but the Mesa has done no wrong by me and has taken me lots of fun places. Only stock parts are the headset, levers, seatpost, front wheel and front caliper. Going to treat it to some double walled wheels this spring.

It is 2x2 and can run 3 different ratios just by popping in an extra SRAM powerlink. 32/14, 32/20 and 26/20.

mtbr member
    I've also got an upgraded S-60 DSX. a lot of you might laugh at the target bike, but it seems to be a clone of the 2002 mesa DSX. decent frame for cheap, works while i upgrade. better than my ANCIENT bridgestone MB-3 team edition, which came to me used, with a prototype softride suspension stem on it. still have the stem!
    -kevin

CTB
    mtbr member
    1999ish Homegrown S-Carbon, built up from my Moab 2 Aluminum. Over the years, I've upgraded a few things. Edit: I cleaned it tonight and got some new pictures.

The Moab frame:

And my spare Homegrown Carbon:

Last edited by CTB; 04-19-2008 at 05:21 PM.

The Punisher
    Oct 2007
    My Schwinn Homegrown

Click Here For My Bike Pics

mtbr member
    Nice pics people! the Homegrowns are lookin' sharp!

I've always wanted one of those Homegrown Carbons.
    I'm still wondering whether a modern shock from 2007 would work on those old homegrown sweet spot designs.
    Would it fit? would it make a difference? I dunno, but I like to think about it.

One of those Homegrown carbon's built completely with modern components would be a really fun bike, and totally unique to boot. Nobody else on the group rides would be riding one of those.
    That's one of the reasons I love my Homegrown 4 Banger so much. It's a great bike, and you simply don't see them anywhere anymore.

CTB
    mtbr member
    There are a couple shocks available for my Carbon from Cane Creek if you want to shell out the bucks. There are probably more brands out there, but the dimensions are kinda small relative to today's shocks. I've been riding mine for 9 years, and I still love it. Got some new bits finally this year, including the rear disc, just to keep it fresh. The new wheels and tires were a nice improvement. Believe it or not, I was still using the original Moab Leader/Trail tires! (For those confused, I built the Carbon up from a Moab 2, as shown above, hence the tires, etc.)

If you ever want to sell your HG 4-Banger, please let me know. I'm dead serious.

PS: Pics of your 4-Banger?

EDIT: I just found your pics of the HG4B. Very nice, and my statement above still holds.

PPS: Recording Master - sweet black HG!

The Punisher
    Oct 2007
    Thanks CTB!
    Just another picture of the Homegrown, and also a question for Schwinn Experts

My BB has 99BBL00130 stamped on it. I bought this frame as a NOS (came with blank product registration card, buyers agreement, and the un-applied chainstay protector).

I am guessing that the first 2 numbers signify the year and the final numbers are the number in the series? Anybody know?

Click Here For My Bike Pics

CTB
    mtbr member
    My S-Carbon has a new playmate.

bike dork
    My third Project Underground frame below. I finally got it built and rode it last night. Gearing is 34:17, Race Face Turbines, Salsa ring, Spot guard, Bassboat saddle and a Ritchey Pro bar/stem combo, fork is a Surly 1x1. It had been a while since I'd ridden one of these but I gotta say it felt really familiar right away. It's a great riding bike and it's nice and light (relative to my other MTBs anyway). Last nights ride reminded me how quickly a light SS 26er can scamper up a hill.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Updated pic of my 4B now that I've tweaked it a bit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

96 Factory Homegrown FS

I bought it new from my LBS in 96 and have upgraded various components over the years.

mtbr member
    someone awhile back posted a picture of a "schwinn 240 DSX" it looks extreemly similar to what schwinn started selling out of target stores in 2007. have a look at the 2004 DSX (it was the first pic posted in this thread, i also posted it after the pic of my S60) then have a look at my target purchased S60 DSX. I upgraded nearly everything on the frame, and have future plans to re-build the pivot (just for fun). The fork is a rockshox dart3 w/poploc i also replaced the headset with a halfway decent cane creek, the rear shock is an Xfusion Glyde R. the front wheel is stock, however untill i can upgrade the crummy disc it came with, i am running old LX V-brakes, so ignore the disc still bolted to the hub, thank you. the rear wheel is a mavic SUP 317 with an XT hub, it was handbuilt about 10 years ago, I've trued it twice, and it lived on my old bridgestone MB-3 hardtail for about 4 seasons before it was hung up while i stopped riding for a bit, thats also where the dimension (who knows who makes that!) stem came from, as well as an old shimano LX rear deraileur and the old DH pedals you also can see mated to the raceface RIDE XC crankset/isis BB. i threw my oldschool IBIS rosie barends on there too. I also upgraded the seat and post to some specialized i cannot remember the model name of, but its pretty lightweight and the most comfortable seat I've ever owned. other than the front wheel, the handlebars, shifters grips and brake levers, and the promax rear V-brakes... everything else has been swapped. i then painted over the ultra lame looking logos, and sanded off the other goofy graphics. i was surprised to find this frame at target, seeing as how its 7005 series alum. and a pretty close copy of not only the 240-DSX frame, but also the old 2002 mesa DSX, a pre pacific buy-out frame, I am confident in its ability to handle off-road riding, well that and the fact that it lived through the massanutten super D. The total weight of this bike, as you see it in this pic, is 35 lbs. no lightweight, but with an air shock, air fork, XC syle pedals and a lighter wheelset, I am betting i could sneak it under 30. however, i weigh 205lbs myself and dont find it all that rough pedaling this beast uphills.
    so, have a look.
    Last edited by Iridethedirt; 06-29-2008 at 10:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Some newer pics...

mtbr member
    Nice Orange Homegrown!! and...Nice Corrado!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Here's my latest set of upgrades completed (discs, NOS XT 8sp shifters, cables & housing, wheels, tires, & rear der.). It's a '00 Moab 3. Always been a fun ride.

LOL WUT?

heres my mesa in the "shop"

mtbr member
    Just a few of my Schwinns...

My '99 Homegrown

Older Schwinn Hybrid

Some burly azz single speed action

A pair of cruisers

Wife's single speed Schwinn Allure

Single speed riser bar World Sport

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by recording master
    Thanks CTB!
    Just another picture of the Homegrown, and also a question for Schwinn Experts

My BB has 99BBL00130 stamped on it. I bought this frame as a NOS (came with blank product registration card, buyers agreement, and the un-applied chainstay protector).

I am guessing that the first 2 numbers signify the year and the final numbers are the number in the series? Anybody know?

from the old schwinns 10 speeds etc.. the last 4 #'s mean the date.. the day then the year..
    so 00130 would mean the 13th day of the year 2000.. maybe that on the old ones..

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    that is a sharp bike.. I love the orange/blue .. but I am a tigers fan too..

CTB
    mtbr member
    Another update of my 4B.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here are some pics of my Schwinn, my stepfather built it for me several years ago, most of the components are Shimano XT. The frame is well to small for me though so it is quite uncomfortable to ride. It will just be a spare/loaner now.

My new Mongoose

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast