Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Let's Ride!
    2001 homegrown products in xl.... mostly all upgrades except fork.... which I'm hoping to replace soon

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

Let's Ride!
    2001 homegrown products in xl.... mostly all upgrades except fork.... which I'm hoping to replace soon

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-uploadfromtaptalk1346467796528.jpg  

Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

CTB
    mtbr member
    The latest picture of the latest addition.

And a closeup before I started my build.

mtbr member

My New (to me) Schwinn

Crossed over to the dark side bought a 2008 Schwinn Peloton LTD built with Shimano 105.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-100_0754.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-100_0753.jpg  

CTB
    mtbr member
    Some of Schwinn's current roadies really look pretty good for the money, esp if one isn't looking to spend a billion on a roadie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

My 1999 Schwinn s-40

Picked this up off Craigslist - I've been swapping out parts to my liking, but it was 100% original and in nearly perfect condition. Mine is the 19 inch frame made of 7005 aluminum.

Besides the included shifters and brakes, exactly what is the difference between the Schwinn s-40 and the Schwinn Homegrown Factory Suspension? The frames look identical to me.

Thanks-

CTB
    mtbr member
    Next, I love blue bikes and yours looks awesome. The rear triangles are completely different on the HG's. Same geometry, but the HG's are made of smaller segments and welded together, while the S-series were "bent" and formed. Also, the rear dropouts have HG tomatoes cast into them instead of the Schwinn cross. The easiest place to tell them apart is where the shock mounts - HG's have an open-sided section, while S-series are closed. Compare yours to mine above and you can see what I mean. On mine, you'll see more welds where the seat stay bends after the pivot, and you'll see the open construction at the lower shock attachment. I'm guessing the HG's were lighter, but I can't prove that. I also suspect they were different at the chainstay yoke - the HG's have the typical HG extruded section (i.e. the same that all HG's that weren't Yetis have), but yours above looks like it might be different. The HG's were 6061 as well.

slow
    1986 High Sierra recently added to the collection. I get funny looks when I pass people on the trail with this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-p6010554.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    cool thanks for the info - I see some of the differences now. My understanding of it is that the S-40 was based on the Homegrown factory suspension, but was made with cheaper Taiwan labor and included cheaper shifters and whatnot to bring the price down.

Funny about the blue comment - I shopped Craigslist and Ebay for over a month - Must have looked at thousands of ads - And discovered I was more and more eliminating potential bikes because they weren't blue.

How much does your Homegrown factory suspension weigh? Before I started swapping out parts, my bike weighed 32 lbs (based on my imprecise bathroom scale math method). Not super light, but keep in mind it's the 19 inch version. I took off the busted front derailleur and corresponding shift lever, replaced the clunky plastic pedals the seller included with super-light aluminum ones, cut down the seatpost, took off the computer and reflectors, replaced the knobbies for slicks, and got the weight down to 28 lbs.

Then I added a more padded seat, put on longer bar ends, and added a bell (the most useful accessory ever made), and I'm back up to 30 lbs. Considering adding a kickstand!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Homegrown rear triangle is lighter but weaker. The S-series rear triangle is definitely stronger.

There are a couple threads on here about how to make the suspension on your Sweetspot work better.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Next, the bike you see above is 23 lb, but note that it only has one gear. My Carbon Homegrown Sweetspot was 30-32 lb, depending on what I had on it at the time (original wheels, original V-brakes, original JIS square taper BB, original SLX crankset, original Coupe Deluxe, etc.). I don't have weights of the frames only, but the carbon ones definitely ain't light. I think with some of the stuff I own now (light wheelsets, light cranksets), I could have gotten my Carbon down to 28 lb at best with gears.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup, the aluminum ones are definitely lighter than the carbon ones, but the carbon ones are definitely beefy and will hold up to serious abuse. My friend has a carbon Homegrown front triangle with a S-series rear triangle built up as a single speed, and it weighs in at 27 pounds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Next, the bike you see above is 23 lb, but note that it only has one gear.
    wow - 23 lbs! I don't think any amount of money could bring my s-40 down that low. Maybe I'll try filling the tires with helium.

CTB
    mtbr member
    There is at least another pound, if not more, in the bike. I'm still using an old (circa 2000) Deore crankset with JIS square-taper BB, and of course I refuse to use lightweight torture saddles. I also still have a tube in the rear tire, though tubeless doesn't really net out much weight save. Best bang for the buck, though, is wheels and tires. My rear tire is 465g, the front is 490, and the wheelset is about 1560 (I have the exact numbers somewhere...).

Bike will gain a little weight when I change the grip/bar-end combo to something with better bar-end ergos (which will be Ergons like on my other bikes). I use the bar ends a LOT when hammering it up hills, and while this combo is light, it tends to hurt my hands when using the horns. If you "geared" this bike, I think it would be 26.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My 1gen Sweetspot weighs in at 22.7 pounds set up as a single speed. It too could lose another pound fairly easily.

Obviously, going single speed can easily shed a lot of weight, and the Sweetspot frame is perfect for it. If you want to get serious about shedding weight, create a spreadsheet and list each component individually along with its weight. This will allow you to quickly see where you're carrying the most weight, and where to most effectively cut it.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Hee, as BM said, I have a spreadsheet that is exactly what he described and bought a scale to weigh parts. The file name is "Weenie Chart."

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You guys are giving me the weight weenie virus. Last night I hacked 1 and 1/4th inch off both sides of my handlebar. I was running my circular saw at 11 pm like a maniac.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I weenied my 4-Banger down to 27.3 lb with no sacrifices in ergos. I was somewhat sad since I wanted a number that began with 26, but that's still pretty darn good. On the other hand, my new bike has taught me that light weight isn't everything. It's right around 30, but it is tremendous fun to ride. I pay for it up hills a bit, but once it turns downhill and twisty, I eat people for lunch with it. So don't get too carried away. I'm weenie-ing the Monogear just because it's a Monogear, but it'll still gain some lb's shortly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well, I didn't lose anything ergonomically by trimming my handlebar - I wasn't using the outsides anyway!

My S-40 will probably always be a tad heavy with those whitewall slicks too (800 grams EACH). But since this is a dedicated boardwalk cruising bike, the whitewalls are a requirement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I hope everyone is using an actual bike scale of excellent quality, otherwise all of this discussion is pointless.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by John Barrett View Post
    I hope everyone is using an actual bike scale of excellent quality, otherwise all of this discussion is pointless.
    does the 25 year old bathroom scale I'm using count? I re-weighed my bike last night, and it had lost another 1/2 lb on its own. sweeeeet!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

New question here. Anyone identify year/model for this Schwinn Sierra?

I've just picked up this Schwinn Sierra which I think is from the turn of the century:

(can't post images as I am new, so you'll need to decode the next bit by adding dots and removing spaces - could someone post the image for me?)
    www bat400 com / pics / schwinn-sierra / 2012-12-16-1628 jpg

Anyone able to identify the model/year?

If it helps, it has Shimano C101 drivetrain and what look like Revoshift shifters, as well as Tektro levers. The tyres are Moab Sweet Roll and the rims are Alex Y2000.

I picked it up for 25 and intend to fix it up as a beater for going to the shops.

Cheers,
    Al

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bat400 View Post
    I've just picked up this Schwinn Sierra which I think is from the turn of the century:

(can't post images as I am new, so you'll need to decode the next bit by adding dots and removing spaces - could someone post the image for me?)
    www bat400 com / pics / schwinn-sierra / 2012-12-16-1628 jpg
    And there are more pics at:
    www . bat400 . com / pics / schwinn-sierra /

Al

CTB
    mtbr member
    You'll have fun spending time at Bikepedia. This one looks close to yours - not exact, but close.

BikePedia - 2000 Schwinn Sierra GS Complete Bicycle

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    You'll have fun spending time at Bikepedia. This one looks close to yours - not exact, but close.

BikePedia - 2000 Schwinn Sierra GS Complete Bicycle
    Yep, that's as close as the models on Bikepedia get. Thanks for the link. 2000 sounds about right because the C101 Shimano stuff dates from around 1999 onwards if I remember correctly.

On the seatpost label:
    www . bat400 . com / pics / schwinn-sierra / 2012-12-16-1629 . jpg
    it says MTN where the GS seatpost says GS (no surprise there).

Maybe it was a UK variant of the Sierra standard/GS model. On the same label it says "Ride Tuned MTN Frame Design CR-MO / HI-TEN Tubing". Would that normally mean that it was a mixture of high tensile and chromoly in the frame?

Thanks for your help,
    Al

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast