Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Here the new schwinn I brought home today, love the looks of it and shifts fantastic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jafstl38 View Post
    Hows the opinions on newer schwinns? Sadly i purchased from from a big box store but I gotta say I love it so far. I THINK its a 2011 Sidewinder, it was the only silver one the rest were black and had different stems and frames. Ill try to get a few pictures up on it soon.
    It is a Dorell bike. Not bike shop quality. Upgrade wisely, parts that can follow to a new bike down the line. Get the usefulness out of it, but don't count on it to ride like a bike shop quality bike. Technology in bikes has trickled down, what you have is probably a lot like the cutting edge technology of 1998... It will work, and it's better than no bike. Have fun, learn to work on your bike, you'll unfortunately probably get several chances to.

If you get the chance... Get to a demo day for one of the big independent bike companies like giant or specialized, or trek. Ride something of quality on a real trail. You'll see the differences.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hmmm I bought this to replace the broken Diamondback Response behind it (orange) the DB has a broken fork and I didn't wanna buy a new fork for $200 when I could get a new bike for $160. Might have made a mistake...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hmmm I bought this to replace the broken Diamondback Response behind it (orange) the DB has a broken fork and I didn't wanna buy a new fork for $200 when I could get a new bike for $160. Might have made a mistake...
    If you bought a whole bike for less than a fork, think about the massive corners which were cut to hit that price.

If you can, return it. Otherwise ride it, and if mountain biking is something you want to do, then spend the money on a good quality, goo performance bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2001 Schwinn Moab 2....updated

I recently updated my 2001 Schwinn Moab 2 HT. I bought it in 2001 when Schwinn was liquidating the last bikes under American ownership. It has been one of my favorite hard tails so it seemed natural to update it with disc brakes and lighter wheels.

I added Avid BB7 disc brakes, Mavic Crossride wheels and a SMC Selle seat. I redid the Rockshox Judy SL forks with new EnduroSeals and 5wt oil and SuperSlick grease on the springs. The fork bushings were in great shape. New jockey wheels on the Shimano XT rear derailleur:

I topped it off with a WTB Bronson 2.1 in the front and a Maaxis Larsen TT 2.0 in the rear.

All told the project cost about $410. All of the stuff was purchased at discounts.

The Moab 26er compliments my Specialized Stumpjumper 29er HT nicely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-1-left-side.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-2-cockpit.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-3-front-quarter.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-4-front-left.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-5-right-rear.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    If you bought a whole bike for less than a fork, think about the massive corners which were cut to hit that price.

If you can, return it. Otherwise ride it, and if mountain biking is something you want to do, then spend the money on a good quality, goo performance bike.
    Returned it and bought an awesome fork for my DB Response, Schwinn was decent but the fork was crap. Glad I kept the Diamondback

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Returned it and bought an awesome fork for my DB Response, Schwinn was decent but the fork was crap. Glad I kept the Diamondback

What fork did you get?

mtbr member
    probably a rockshox dart, that is probably the best for they have there

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sharp Moab, great re-build on the Cheap! I love the bargain hunting when one is in the midst of that kind of project.
    This last weekend I rode my 99 s-10 in a semi-organized epic ride. 5000 feet of climb over 26 miles of mostly technical single track. I trained on the heavier, less pedal efficient giant reign then switched to the schwinn after putting one good ride on it to sort out any issues. Thing was a champ and handled all the technical and downhill duties beautifully. This bike is pictured a few pages back, but is a red Carbon S-10 with Crossmax ST's, 100mm Reba SL, new XT shifters, Hayes Mag brakes (yes, I found a 22mm caliber for $5!). I'm shown at about 1:45 in the video entering a climb.
    5K_2012_Finished.wmv - YouTube
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fastboy143 View Post
    Sharp Moab, great re-build on the Cheap! I love the bargain hunting when one is in the midst of that kind of project.
    This last weekend I rode my 99 s-10 in a semi-organized epic ride. 5000 feet of climb over 26 miles of mostly technical single track. I trained on the heavier, less pedal efficient giant reign then switched to the schwinn after putting one good ride on it to sort out any issues. Thing was a champ and handled all the technical and downhill duties beautifully. This bike is pictured a few pages back, but is a red Carbon S-10 with Crossmax ST's, 100mm Reba SL, new XT shifters, Hayes Mag brakes (yes, I found a 22mm caliber for $5!). I'm shown at about 1:45 in the video entering a climb.
    5K_2012_Finished.wmv - YouTube
    I just ran into someone with a 99 s-20 for sale. The carbon has a few nicks and scratches. Trying to decide if I want to invest in a carbon bike that old with nicks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by John Barrett View Post
    I just ran into someone with a 99 s-20 for sale. The carbon has a few nicks and scratches. Trying to decide if I want to invest in a carbon bike that old with nicks.
    I've found the carbon to be extremely durable, and have seem them take a massive amount of abuse without issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Turns out that the S-20 is a sweet ride. Really comfortable and massive stand over for a 19" frame. Handles really well on single track as well as sand and rocky downhill.

It actually had the original Tioga Factory XC tires.....hard as a rock. I choose WTB Weirwolfs over the more period correct Velociraptors because of their lower rolling resistance and design closer to the Bronsons.....which I use on other bikes and love.

I'll try to replace the Easton Monkey Bar with a 1999 Titec Enduro...if I can find one. The long travel Rockshox Judy XC is in great shape....just needs graphics.

The seat post was cut pretty short at some point. I'd like to fine another one that gives full coverage through the carbon frame.

The frame has a few scratches and scuffs...what you would expect from a 13 year old Y bike that was stored in garages etc.

It is about 5.5 pounds heavier than my 1997 Trek Y-33 carbon but actually absorbs the bumps better and is a hell of a lot quieter. Both are an interesting part of Mountain Bike history.
    Last edited by RoxMDO; 12-30-2012 at 07:41 PM.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I've always wondered if Schwinn mixed lead in with their carbon fiber. Those old S-frames were heavy as hell, even the Homegrowns (which I have). But it lasted me 8 years of riding with no issues, so there is something to be said for that! And I still think they are very interesting-looking bikes. I also liked the extremely compact wheelbase they had.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This one is 29.5....which is probably typical today for most sub $4K full suspension bikes.

The carbon seems pretty solid. Not as hollow sounding as the light Trek Y-33s and Super-lite of the day.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Mine was always around 32 since I didn't have high-end components. My current bike is 30, but it also has 6" of travel, a 36mm fork, and a 20mm thru-axle. Those old Carbons were definitely overbuilt, which is good for those of us who still like them. I have an unbuilt Homegrown front triangle, and it's definitely not hollow-sounding at all. I've heard the aluminum Sweetspots can be built down quite low, like 24 lb or less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Turns out that the S-20 is a sweet ride.
    Here are two ways to make it work even better:
    Sweetspot - making it work correctly

Schwinn Sweetspot cable routing

In your case, I would do the new cable routing for all three cables.

By the way, the Schwinn Sweetspots like yours make arguably the best full suspension single speeds. Just saying.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    I've always wondered if Schwinn mixed lead in with their carbon fiber. Those old S-frames were heavy as hell, even the Homegrowns (which I have). But it lasted me 8 years of riding with no issues, so there is something to be said for that!
    After seeing the abuse my friend put his through (and is still putting it through) I can see exactly where that extra weight went. The carbon part of those frame is very burly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Here are two ways to make it work even better:
    Sweetspot - making it work correctly

Schwinn Sweetspot cable routing

In your case, I would do the new cable routing for all three cables.

By the way, the Schwinn Sweetspots like yours make arguably the best full suspension single speeds. Just saying.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    New Crankset for the the Rocket LTD , the old Truvative Stylo spindle kept popping out, replaced it with a Shimano SlX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dscn5917.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dscn5914.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dscn5915.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dscn5921.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dscn5926.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have my Sweetspot carbon for sale. Please forgive, I'm posting not just to spread the word among Schwinn lovers but I'm also sharing the full build up specs for those of you doing your own. PM me if you want details on the price/terms.
    "Older Frame with modern suspension and brakes. 28.x lbs as-is without pedals (29.1 w/ Candy 2's), easy and inexpensive to drop another 1.5+ lbs. (tires, hollowtech crank)

In 1999, Schwinn was making some amazing xc race bikes. The Homegrown has a cult-like following to this day. The S-10 Carbon frame shares the same geometry and ride characteristics of it's hallowed brother, differing in the source & material of the rear triangle (taiwan / 7005 aluminum vs US / 6005) and place of assembly (taiwan vs US). I have owned a full susp. Homegrown and can't tell the difference on the trail. They both respond VERY well to a 100mm fork and climb with terrific efficiency for an older frame design. The beauty of this design is that the leverage on the rear suspension is altered when you stand, transforming the bike into a near-hardtail when you need the extra efficiency.

The shock on it is a $200 custom air spring unit by Risse Racing of Redmond, OR. Rear travel with this shock is about 3.5 inches. The shock needs service, but that's only $35 and I will throw in the service for my asking price. You will be able to custom tune per your riding style. I have the original shock on it now, the old rockshox deluxe. Good plush coil spring for someone 180-220 lbs.

I bought and built this last Spring as a backup/extra bike, but now have an opportunity to get something I really REALLY want for a great price. I will still have to add $$ to the sale proceeds to get my goal. The main pivot has new bushings that I bought from the frame designer John Castellano. The fork is a 2010 100mm Reba SL with lockout, rebound and compression damping adjustments. Lightweight, stiff and reliable; a $400 fork when new. Installed with a new headset last summer and about 30 hours of use since.
    Brakes are Hayes Mag hydraulics with a 180mm disc in front and a 160 in the rear. SUPER RARE, HARD TO FIND rear hydraulic caliper for this frame, but I found one and it works beautifully. Very good modulation and power. Wheels, OMG. the wheels: 2009 Crossmax ST's. A tough, stiff, light and expensive wheelset designed for trail use. No weight limit imposed by the manufacturer. An $800 wheelset new retail. Shifters are 2010 Shimano XT with less than a season of use. Derailleurs are XT front and (original) XTR rear with an LX crankset. Easton MonkeyLite Carbon Handlebar, ODI Rogue lock on grips, Selle Italia leather-wrapped saddle with titanium rails.
    If I were going to keep the bike, other than the shock rebuild I would upgrade the crankset. About the shock: I went to change the rear shock oil but when I reassembled it it was hydraulically locked. I repeated from instructions but never got it quite right. Now I'm out of extra shock oil and it is still not right. Again, Risse does the service for about $35. If you are serious, I can take you on a good hour-long ride that should show you what you need to know.

. I rode the bike for 6 hours a few weeks ago, 26 miles and just at 5000 feet of climbing. Performed awesome!
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

mtbr member
    hmmmmm sexy sexy sweetspot!

'11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

my mongoose xr-250

just getting back into mountain biking rite now this all i can offord
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBCAT-62 View Post
    just getting back into mountain biking rite now this all i can offord
    I think this is the thread you're looking for:
    post your mongoose

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Great looking bikes added since last I checked!Anyone seen,or have, a 2001 Homegrown for sale?My custom built 2001 Homegrown was stolen recently so right now I am building up a 2010 Jamis Team Dragon.I would much rather have another 2001 Homegrown frame,but they don't exactly grow on trees.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast