Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    CTB
    mtbr member
    That is some beautiful country to ride in there!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    some update parts

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah
    Or should I say 1991?
    What Paramount are you looking for?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi everyone, been lurking on the forum for a little while now. I just picked up an 06' Rocket yesterday. It's got some surface rust that I'm cleaning up right now but overall it's pretty solid. I would post a picture but my post count isn't high enough yet

I'm looking to upgrade to the Avid BB7 disc brakes, does anyone have any recommendations on new rims? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195 View Post
    Hi everyone, been lurking on the forum for a little while now. I just picked up an 06' Rocket yesterday. It's got some surface rust that I'm cleaning up right now but overall it's pretty solid. I would post a picture but my post count isn't high enough yet

I'm looking to upgrade to the Avid BB7 disc brakes, does anyone have any recommendations on new rims? Thanks in advance.
    Send me a picture and I'll post it for you.

I'm sorry to say, but it's probably not worth upgrading.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Send me a picture and I'll post it for you.

I'm sorry to say, but it's probably not worth upgrading.
    Thanks, I'll send you a PM with the picture. What makes you say that it's not worth upgrading? Is this a bad bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Picture:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-img_0002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks, I'll send you a PM with the picture. What makes you say that it's not worth upgrading? Is this a bad bike?
    It's a heavy, lower quality frame, which isn't to withstand the rigors of off road riding for long. Instead of upgrading it, you're much better off saving your pennies, and then buying a new bike once you can afford it. I'm sorry to say it, but the old school, quality Schwinn bikes stopped being produced after 2001.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    It's a heavy, lower quality frame, which isn't to withstand the rigors of off road riding for long. Instead of upgrading it, you're much better off saving your pennies, and then buying a new bike once you can afford it. I'm sorry to say it, but the old school, quality Schwinn bikes stopped being produced after 2001.
    I see, thanks for the advice. I was thinking I would fix this bike up as a starter and then get a newer frame later on if/when this bike dies. I figured I could just transfer whatever parts I buy for this bike to the newer frame later on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I see, thanks for the advice. I was thinking I would fix this bike up as a starter and then get a newer frame later on if/when this bike dies. I figured I could just transfer whatever parts I buy for this bike to the newer frame later on.
    Sorry, but this scenario has been played out many times. The conclusion is always that it's not worth it. In the long run, you'll end up spending significantly more money doing it your way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I appreciate all of the help and advice bad mechanic. I'm really just looking at this bike as a way to learn and grow. I know for a fact that I'm going to make mistakes and end up wasting money on something at some point; that's the case with just about every hobby. I'll just keep riding the bike the way it is and see where things take me. I really do want to upgrade to the BB7's though but I guess only time will tell.

mtbr member
    ^ I've got a ~2006 department store schwinn hardtail that I rode as a commuter, winterbike, and on light trails for a few years before retiring it a couple of months ago (and it's not even completely retired...I just converted it into my second singlespeed).

Great bike to learn bike mechanics on, because if I broke anything it was a cheap fix. Hubs are trashed, but now I know what not to do with my good bikes. Same goes for the derailleurs, headset, fork, etc. The only component that I completely hated was the wheels, which had a stupid spoke pattern that made them a pita to true:

I did put a bb5 on the front, which was great for snow and rain. bad mechanic is right that it's not worth spending much trying to upgrade the whole bike. If all you want is discs though, and if your hubs will take them, then putting one on the front can be pretty fun and not too expensive. Otherwise, ride it until it breaks. Then learn to fix it, and ride it some more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ I've got a ~2006 department store schwinn hardtail that I rode as a commuter, winterbike, and on light trails for a few years before retiring it a couple of months ago (and it's not even completely retired...I just converted it into my second singlespeed).

Great bike to learn bike mechanics on, because if I broke anything it was a cheap fix. Hubs are trashed, but now I know what not to do with my good bikes. Same goes for the derailleurs, headset, fork, etc. The only component that I completely hated was the wheels, which had a stupid spoke pattern that made them a pita to true:

I did put a bb5 on the front, which was great for snow and rain. bad mechanic is right that it's not worth spending much trying to upgrade the whole bike. If all you want is discs though, and if your hubs will take them, then putting one on the front can be pretty fun and not too expensive. Otherwise, ride it until it breaks. Then learn to fix it, and ride it some more.
    Thanks for the encouragement, for a while there I was beginning to feel that I made a bad purchase. I don't plan to go all out on this bike because I would eventually like to get something better but I would definitely like to upgrade the brakes as the current ones aren't working as well as I'd like them to. I could probably just replace the current v-mount brakes but I just figured I would go to the Avid's and just transfer them to the new bike in the future. Unfortunately my hubs aren't compatible so I'd either have to change them out or just change everything out. I'd prefer to just change the wheels and hubs altogether for something lighter but I have no clue how the axle and hub sizing works and the more I read is the more confused I get. Must be a sign that I should leave everything alone lol.

mtbr member
    ^ yeah, if you're hubs aren't compatible then that's a sign that it's really not worth it because you'd have to buy a whole new wheelset and the new brakes. My rear hub wasn't compatible, so I left the back brake alone. Yes, you could transfer the new wheels and brakes over to your next bike, but your next bike will probably come with them anyway, so anything you buy now is basically destined for the spareparts bin.

You could buy shimano v-brakes, which are pretty cheap, and would probably be better than what's on there now. Or you could just replace the pads with something like koolstops. (and your front brake is more important than the back, so that's the one to really play with)

The other thing about v-brakes (and all bike parts, really) is that they work well if they're set up properly. So adjusting what you've got might make a world of difference. You could take it to a shop, and have them do it while you watch. But there's plenty of info on the web - parktool, sheldonbrown, and youtube are all good resources. All you need to do it yourself is a hex key and a flathead screwdriver. It can be frustrating the first time (all bike wrenching is frustrating the first time), but after that it gets easier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ yeah, if you're hubs aren't compatible then that's a sign that it's really not worth it because you'd have to buy a whole new wheelset and the new brakes. My rear hub wasn't compatible, so I left the back brake alone. Yes, you could transfer the new wheels and brakes over to your next bike, but your next bike will probably come with them anyway, so anything you buy now is basically destined for the spareparts bin.

You could buy shimano v-brakes, which are pretty cheap, and would probably be better than what's on there now. Or you could just replace the pads with something like koolstops. (and your front brake is more important than the back, so that's the one to really play with)

The other thing about v-brakes (and all bike parts, really) is that they work well if they're set up properly. So adjusting what you've got might make a world of difference. You could take it to a shop, and have them do it while you watch. But there's plenty of info on the web. All you need to do it yourself is a hex key and a flathead screwdriver. It can be frustrating the first time (all bike wrenching is frustrating the first time), but after that it gets easier.
    Thanks for all of the help man, I actually went to my LBS today and picked up a helmet and some gloves, they gave me a few pointers and the brakes are working perfectly now. Just have a loud squeak when I use the rear brakes but I can live with that. The whole bike is working great now, just some minor surface rust that I need to take care. Hopefully somewhere down the line I'll be able to pick up something better. For now, I have plans to hit one of the local trails this Sunday; can't wait!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    When you're ready to pick up a new bike, take a look at:
    www.bikesdirect.com

They have good quality bikes with good quality frames at a very attractive price.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    there's a lot of good looking schwinn here..good thing i didnt throw mine away

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just a few Schwinns that were in my stable--still have the Rocket88 and now have a Peloton for the road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-img_1997.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here is the updated Rocket88--rides better that any "modern" FS I have been on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-img_4244.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here is the Peloton--a 16 pound rocket!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-img_5500.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I like that you have a spare frame. So do I!

mtbr member
    May 2010

Schwinn Straight 6 rebuilt / repainted

I made the decals on my computer and printed them out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    1999ish Homegrown S-Carbon, built up from my Moab 2 Aluminum. Over the years, I've upgraded a few things. Edit: I cleaned it tonight and got some new pictures.

The Moab frame:

And my spare Homegrown Carbon:

Nice bikes, nice frames! I love my all mountain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Wow! never seen the yellow frame before. Very sharp.
    I'm almost finished upgrading the 1999 S-10 Carbon I picked up last winter. I've changed the rear shock to a Risse Genesis, the fork is now a 2010 Reba SL 100mm. Avid BB-7 brakes in front, and I will be using those in back, too, once I receive the bracket from Toronto cycles. The bar is now a Monkeylite carbon with ODI grips. I love the way the frame is set off by the red anodized lock-on clamps. Wheels will be a set of 2009 Crossmax ST's. I still need to do the rear brakes, as stated, but also have NOS 2009 XT shifters waiting for the final assembly. Oh, I said "bone stock" but the seat is a Fizik that was laying around, matches nicely. When these tires wear out I'll use the red-walled Panaracer fire XC Pros.

[SUPPOSED TO BE PICTURES ] Here are the flickr url's: Photo_080611_004 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Photo_080611_006 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Photo_080611_005 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-photo_080611_001.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-photo_080611_008.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-photo_080611_004.jpg  

Last edited by fastboy143; 08-07-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    2001 Fastback Factory, full Ultegra. Gonna sell this one to fund a new MTB.

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast