Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

avids

thanks. I didn't know. They are brand new. I've got one ride on them. I'm still adjusting things a bit to get the best feel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

hi all, here's a pic of my humble bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

90's Schwinn

Here are my two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-110709_13021.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-phone-pictures-020.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

follow up

CTB and Bad Mechanic

A while back you guys gave me some great support re some mods after 10 years riding stock on my homegrown.

I went to full v's so removed the front disk. IRC tires seem to grip well for my riding.
    I opted for the 80 mm fork, which was pushing it some.
    I noticed that front end wheelies were a problem during climbs since i changed from my stock 63 mm judy xc fork to a 80 mm sid fork. I had shortened the stem previously to 90 mm from the stock 110mm for comfort before i added the sid fork. But with the increased travel came more twitch with the shorter stem combo. It was nearly imposible to find my old comfort position on climbs.

I now returned the stock 110 mm stem and couldn't be happier with it again. I feel a good balance between comfort and handling. It always climbed well but i wasn't prepared for domino affect of changes when i tried to get some comfort with added travel and a shorter stem.

the last photo i think shows that best the new difference between the short stem and long one.
    Now onto my fun buildup schwinn homegrown (same yr frame and color). I might add some slicks for the road. I will post it soon...well we'll see. thanks guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dsc03152.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dsc03149.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dsc03091.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dsc03100.jpg  

Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dsc03145.jpg  

CTB
    mtbr member
    Glad to help, esp with such a beautiful bike. If you still find yourself wheelie-ing too much, you look like you can drop some spacers out from under the stem as well, as the stem height incrased with the longer fork. Nice to know you immediately found a good solution with the 110 stem again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

thanks

I didn't think about that re reducing the height up front by dropping the stem down a spacer then putting a spacer above (i think this is was you said). I may just try it for for next ride this weds (vetran's day off from work).

thanks.

CTB
    mtbr member
    In theory, if you run (example) 20% sag up front, you only need to drop about 5mm to be the same:

63mm * 0.2 sag = 12.6
    80mm * 0.2 sag = 16.0, giving a 3.6mm difference once sagged out.

So you don't have to drop the front too terribly much, but it is still something to try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

thanks

I'll save that for future reference for sure. I took it out today for a ride. climbing seems good but now back tire slippage b/c of leaves everywhere here in NE. Makes you slow b/c you can't see below, but still nice to get out...

moves fast on flats and singles. feels incredibilty light up front. i'm getting close to a great feel. I want to run a race or two next year (dream of mine since i bought it in 1998). Well...obviously life i short and i'm getting older. Good for my boys to see their old dad compete in something cool.
    Last edited by 1998 schwinn; 11-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Hey, I just noticed I gave you a load of bullcrap with those numbers. What I should have said:

63mm * 0.8 = 50.4
    80mm * 0.8 = 64

for a 13.6mm difference in height with you on the bike (approximate - it would depend on the two forks' axle-to-crown dimensions). Unsagged, the stem with the 80mm fork starts out the full 17mm higher from the ground; after sagging them both 20%, the 80mm is now 13.6mm higher.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Edited out double post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    hey guys, can i ask whether the moab is able to run 2.35" tires? i am actually looking for 2.2"/2.25" but the high rollers doesnt come in those sizes.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'm running Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4's on my Moab commuter bike. Now, it's a commuter, so I don't need mud clearance, etc. Also, I have to deflate the tire to get it in/out of the V-brakes/frame on the rear; it will not come out of the frame if it is inflated due to the Epicenter seat stay design. Also, one of the V-brake arms will *just* buzz the tire when I apply the rear brakes - the Holy Rollers are giant tires, though.

I would say if you accept these limitations, you can run them, but expect them to be bad for mud/leaf clearance in the back. Also, switch to discs if you can to make it just a little easier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    I'm running Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4's on my Moab commuter bike. Now, it's a commuter, so I don't need mud clearance, etc. Also, I have to deflate the tire to get it in/out of the V-brakes/frame on the rear; it will not come out of the frame if it is inflated due to the Epicenter seat stay design. Also, one of the V-brake arms will *just* buzz the tire when I apply the rear brakes - the Holy Rollers are giant tires, though.

I would say if you accept these limitations, you can run them, but expect them to be bad for mud/leaf clearance in the back. Also, switch to discs if you can to make it just a little easier.
    thanx for the reply man.

i just find my 2.1s too skinny.. haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i ran 2.3 wtb weirwolves front and rear...plenty-o-room...
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

no problem

I've got this one saved for future reference.

thanks again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    my all original except for the seat and bars 98 moab. just pulled it out of the shed where it has been hiding for a few years.

could some one tell me what the fork travel is on the rs judy t2? i'm looking to upgrade and from what i read in this thread i want to make sure i don't buy a fork with to much travel and screw up the geo.

CTB
    mtbr member
    My Judy T2 was 63mm. I rode my bike with an 80mm with no problems at all after taking off the T2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

moab travel

Thanks to bad mechanic and CTB I upgraded with confidence my HG's travel from the stock 63mm judy xc to 80mm judy sid xc. Anything more they suggested would throw the xc geo fell off.

so 80mm max,i suggest too. I rides great and takes bigger bumps too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    oh ya...my HG is a 98 and i believe that share a similiar geo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks guys, i'm doing a search now to see whats out there

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravman
    my all original except for the seat and bars 98 moab. just pulled it out of the shed where it has been hiding for a few years.

could some one tell me what the fork travel is on the rs judy t2? i'm looking to upgrade and from what i read in this thread i want to make sure i don't buy a fork with to much travel and screw up the geo.

Nice bike.

I have been looking for one of those steel Moabs for years!

I found a perfect 19" a couple years back, but I need a 17".

An 80mm fork will work just fine on there. You could get it down to the same height as a 63mm fork if you set the sag up correctly, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Singletrack Slayer

Homegrown SS project

What do you think! It rides really nice and feels like Mtn Bmx. Light as hell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Schwinn Pics Here!-dsc01118.jpg  

~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

CTB
    mtbr member
    BBB, the true Homegrown paint job.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

I couldn't agree more

That BBB sure is purtty

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It is still, in my opinion, the best paint job ever put on a bike.

It saddens me my Homegrown uses the second generation BBB.

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast