Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998 schwinn
    I need new tires. Can your recommend anything xc, good climber, and can handle wet rocks and tree roots? I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest in several years.
    Kenda Nevegal 2.1 - They're not the fastest rolling tire, but they have incredible traction, even over wet rocks and roots. Put a DTC on the rear, and a Stick-E on the front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

bad mechanic

thanks for the recommendation. i'll be sure to look them up.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Kenda Nevegal 2.1 - They're not the fastest rolling tire, but they have incredible traction, even over wet rocks and roots. Put a DTC on the rear, and a Stick-E on the front.
    1998 Schwinn, you'll find almost this same thing in the PM I just sent you. BMech and I are aligned here.

CTB
    mtbr member
    While we're at it, I thought I'd post an up-to-date photo of my HG4B. This is how I'm riding it and how it will stay until I can afford to try some UST tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

i have a set of contis xcs but but very wet out here in CT

I live in CT and it's pretty wet throughout spring and early summer so trails can be a bit mucky with lots of moss build up on the wooded hill trails. We get a water in the summer (most of them anyway) and ice in the winter (builds character for both driving and skiing).

I have to shorten my stem as well. My back can't extend that far and low anymore for long rides. Much easier ten years ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    While we're at it, I thought I'd post an up-to-date photo of my HG4B. This is how I'm riding it and how it will stay until I can afford to try some UST tires.

How do you like the Mountain King? I'm currently on Nevegal 2.1s, and am thinking of picking up a pair of MK Supersonics, if for nothing else, to race on.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I LOVE the Mountain King. It's a 2.4 Supersonic, and I highly recommend it. I've had a 2.24 Moto Raptor DNA, 2.1 DTC Nevegal, and a 2.2 Race King Supersonic up front, and I like the MKSS the best. Don't be fooled by the "2.4" size - it is NOT as big as you think. In fact, it is one of the lowest volume tires I've had, but it is reasonably light (mine weighed 590g) and has low rolling resistance (there are charts over in the Weight Weenie forum, but I also have the jpgs on my computer). I think it has outstanding grip coupled with a plush ride.

I don't know how you prefer your handling, but the setup I have above suits me fine. I set up my cars to be neutral with provokable oversteer, and having the RK on the back does the same for my bike. It can bite you on the climbs by spinning instead of gripping, and the back of the bike *will* be mobile at times, but I love the low weight (465g for mine) and the huge volume. Unlike the 2.4 MK, the 2.2 RK is bigger than its size suggests. Or at least they were...rumor has it that Conti has shrunk them, but since I have two of the originals, I can't prove that. Here is the size data I have:

Race King 2.2

Don't buy non-Supersonics unless you want to try USTs. They are no where near as good, I've heard, and they are often smaller in size. Again, just going by what I've seen in reviews, as I went straight for the light Supersonics.

If you'd like to reduce your rolling resistance by a fair bit but keep your expense down, maybe keep your 2.1 Neve and put a 2.1 Small Block Eight on the rear. My buddy has that setup and likes it a lot. The SB8 rolls/pedals better than the Neve does, but it still has decent grip. The knobs are all mini-Nevegal shape.

Bottom line: I love the setup. I thought the MK SS had as much dry/tacky trail grip or more than the Neve 2.1 DTC, but it rolled better and was lighter. I'm 160+ with gear, and I run these at 31 psi front, 29 rear. I don't get big air, and I'm largely an in-the-seat XC rider.
    Last edited by CTB; 07-03-2009 at 07:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, I have two MK 2.2 SS tires on the way. Nice thing is they only cost me $70 for the pair shipped. I heard the same thing about only the SS having the Black Chili compound.

From reading other thread about it, it looks like the MK 2.2 has the same size carcass as the Nevegal 2.1, with a slightly narrower thread width. Since they're going on my XC bike I went with the 2.2. If I like them, the question will be if they'll be a race only tire, or just stay on all the time. Depending on how things go, I many even try the 2.4.

Data:
    MK 2.2
    Tread (sample 1) = 52mm
    Carcass (sample 1) = 49mm
    Tread (sample 2) = 53.8 mm
    Carcass (sample 2) = 49.5 mm

MK 2.4
    Tread = 60mm
    Carcass = 54mm

Nevegal 2.1
    tread = 55mm
    carcass = 49mm

CTB
    mtbr member
    Nice deal on the tires. I guess I should have mentioned that the numbers in my data chart are for the external dimensions of the carcass, as best I could measure. My goal was to figure out air volume, so I ignored the tread.

Update to my post: If you ride something rooty, don't run the MK at only 31. I pinched it last week, so I ran a lot higher on the same trail this past week. Grip suffers, but it's better than a flat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Update to my post: If you ride something rooty, don't run the MK at only 31. I pinched it last week, so I ran a lot higher on the same trail this past week. Grip suffers, but it's better than a flat.
    How much do you weigh?

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'm about a buck sixty-five with gear (70oz Camelback, pump, random tools, etc.).

Uncle

2001 Schwinn Moab 2 -- post diameter?

Hi. Hoping one of youz can help me out. Building up a Moab for my brother, but I don't have the original seat post. Is it a standard 27.2mm, or some other size? Thanks for your help.

Josh
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Should be a 26.8.

Uncle

thanks much!

Should be a 26.8.
    Gracias por los informaciones!
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Since they can be hard to find, here you go:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/178...post-Black.htm

It's one of Race Face's road seatposts, but I already called them and they said it's fine to use on a XC mountain bike. It light and cheap too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice deal on the tires. I guess I should have mentioned that the numbers in my data chart are for the external dimensions of the carcass, as best I could measure. My goal was to figure out air volume, so I ignored the tread.

I received the tires last night, and my first impression are very positive. I was expecting a very fragile and thin tire, but I could tell by feel if it was thinner than the 2.1 Nevegals which are on there now.

I mounted them and left them inflated at 60 psi overnight to let them stretch out. This morning I checked them with my caliper, and the carcass on the MK is a fraction of a mm bigger than the Nevegal's, and the thread width is the same. I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed.

The first ride will be this afternoon after work. The areas I ride seem to be gentle on tires, so I'll probably run 28 front and 32 rear like with the Nevegals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2009 Schwinn Frontier

So this is where the party is. My new Schwinn- an awesome ride at an even more awesome value.

My Review:
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-har...9_1527crx.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by suburban eXtreme; 07-25-2009 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm '95 Moab Elite S

This is a 100 year anniversary bike, frame tag states: "100 Years of Quality 1895-1995 Engineered and Designed in the USA Schwinn Boulder Colorado Anniversary Edition"
    They don't make bikes this solid anymore, this bike is bomb-proof. This bike is totally original.

Weight: 28.5
    Size: 19"

Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction: TIG-welded Chromoly steel
    Frame Tubing Material: Chromoly, double-butted, oversize
    Fork Brand & Model: Marzocchi Zokes
    Fork Material: Aluminum, triple-clamp crown

Components
    Component Group: Shimano Alivio
    Brakeset Shimano: AceraX brakes, Lee Chi G300 levers
    Shift Levers: Grip Shift SRT-400
    Front Derailleur: Shimano AceraX, top-pull/clamp-on 28.6 mm
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio GS
    Crankset: Shimano Alivio HyperDrive-C, 24/34/42 teeth
    Pedals: HTI steel/resin
    Rear Cogs: 7-speed, 11 - 28 teeth
    Chain: Shimano CN-IG30, 1/2 x 3/32"
    Seatpost: Kalloy SP-242, 26.6 mm diameter
    Saddle: Schwinn Viscount
    Handlebar: MTB alloy
    Handlebar Extensions: Schwin Bar-ends
    Handlebar Stem: Hsin Lung alloy
    Headset: 1 1/8" Tioga Alchemy

Wheels
    Hubs: Shimano AceraX
    Rims: Bontrager BCX-3, 36-hole
    Tires: 26 x 1.95" Kenda
    Spoke Brand: DT Stainless steel, 1.8 mm straight gauge
    Spoke Nipples: Brass nipples

geek
    Here's my '99 homegrown elite. this is my primary ride and what i use whenever i race.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

CTB
    mtbr member
    Deadbeef, that is SWEET.

geek
    Deadbeef, that is SWEET.
    Thanks. I have always wanted one of these and it doesn't disappoint. I'm currently building up a '97 homegrown factory full suspension. I'll share some pics when it is done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

2000 Homegrown Factory - Stealth

Crossmax minus stickers
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro
    Raceface cranks painted black
    Rockshox Sid painted black
    Avid Ultimate Levers and Brakes
    Raceface handlebar
    Thomson Seat and Stem
    Selle Italia Seat
    XT shifters
    XTR derailleurs
    Odyssey Shark Bite pedals

Crazy about Homegrowns
    I have over 35 old Schwinns, but these are my mountain bikes. I love Homegrowns. The 98 hardtail I got from a bike shop in Wisconsin, it had never been sold, and was pretty much NOS. I couldn't just let it sit, so I've been riding it, and it's got a few more scratches now. One of the Homegrown stickers is coming off.

I just got the 98 Homegrown carbon, and it's been a blast. Most of the stock components have been changed out for other stuff.

I got the 97 Mesa for my wife. It's a cro-mo frame, but she likes it.

CTB
    mtbr member
    35! Wow. Let's see 'em!

Crazy about Homegrowns
    Most can be seen here:
    http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...inn/?start=all

Some have been sold. Some need restored and are completely apart. Mostly classics, 60's and 70's. They're fun, but I'm starting to run out of room.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast