Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

post your mongoose

330K views 451 replies 237 participants last post by  Cobra8d 
#1 ·
post you mongoose

didnt see a thread for mongoose pics so here it is. here's some of mine.

Attachments

See less See more
#400 ·
Thanks! I have a hard tail Marin so this build will be an All Mountain type bike. Hope it can take my riding style as I tend to enjoy things such as jumps and drops. :)

So far I've gotten the seatpost clamp, seatpost, headset, bars, grips, and Truvative single ring crankset ready to go on.

#401 · (Edited)
mongoose hotlink

a real underrated frame as well as the same era mongoose Triumph,Massif,Fairlane,Sommet.so much is said of the more modern DW link,yet the hotlink was out much sooner.and the adjustable head tube angle is a real plus.had a Sommet & the rear hotlink did everything excellent.good luck with the new ride.Marquis was big$$$ back in the day.

#405 ·
MongoosePro Grand Marquis Finished!

Finally finished my MongoosePro Grand Marquis build. This build took longer than anticipated but I just finished cutting and bleeding the brakes this week and now have to wait for the weather to clear up to hit the trail.
The major components include: ODI Flight Control Wingtip bars, NukeProof Warhead stem, Selle Italia Q-Bik saddle, Shimano Deore hydraulic discs and shifter, Manitou Match Comp 130mm fork, ODI Troy Lee Designs lock-on grips, Truvativ Howitzer crankset, and X-Fusion RL rear shock.

Attachments

#417 · (Edited)

My new bike at oak mountain by Randall Cooper, on Flickr

Walmart bought 27.5 Mongoose ledge, rode like a champ The 650b spring on it is great, the fork needs to be stronger but did very well for a $200 bike.
I sat on one of those at Walmart, felt pretty good to me. I like it except for the threaded headset. I would want to upgrade the suspension fork at some point and I think that I would need threadless for that. I found a 27.5 full suspension ledge(the site linked me to Walmart)for $179 online with the threadless headset, but it has front disc and rear Vbrakes which I do not like the looks of. Pretty sure I could put rear disc brakes on with the help of a torch(I am assuming that the seatstay is steel)but I have never heard of anyone doing that. I actually have a junk Mongoose someone left on the scrap heap, but it is missing a lot of parts that I cannot afford to buy right now. It would actually cost less to buy one ride it and add parts at another time. The Mongoose website is kind of useless, they only have about ten bikes on it, and they are pricey(compared to Walmart bikes). I'm riding a Genesis hardtail that was abandoned at one of my jobs(I got permission from security to take it). I'm very happy with it, I put $185 into it, I have 22 front and 34 rear, it is great for climbing. It is way too big for me, I can barely get behind the seat, and I cannot get around a few corners where I ride(it is a 29). Thinking I want to go with a 27.5 full suspension. I have been confused about what I want to buy(or spend)or what I would be happy with for nearly a year. I ride a mountain bike because for me it is an extreme amount of exercise. Just think how much weight I would loose riding a 42lb bike!

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#408 ·
New rear shock (RockShox Monarch Rt3 Debonair ) and pedals for my Teocali called for a wash and wax with a picture session;)

Attachments

#412 ·
Terrex?

Just got this yesterday. Trying to figure out what it is. It is a Mongoose 27.5 Fat Tire. It says TERREX on it, but I can not find anything about that on line anywhere.
Anyone have an idea? Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

I got it at Wal-Mart. Just looking for something ride and drop a few (actually a lot) of weight. I was looking at the Ledge 2.1 and saw this Fat Tire so I got it.

Really like the ride of this bike.

#415 ·
I too saw this bike at Walmart and I put it on layaway. My daily driver is a Specialized Sirrus Hybrid that I LOVE dearly, but it doesn't do so well in snow or in my case muddy rail trails that I have to take to get to work. The mud usually doesn't come about until March/April when the frost is coming up out of the ground along with snow melt. I thought about getting a fat bike, but then I saw this one and thought I'd give it a try. You are right, there really isn't much on the internet YET about these bikes. There are a few tire options out there (planning on swapping those out), but the first thing I am going to do is disassemble the bike, grease the hubs, the bottom bracket, and so on and so forth. Then in that process, I am going to ditch the twist shifters and install trigger shifters and brake levers, and swap out the handlebars for some ones that give me a more upright riding position. I rode mine around the store in the middle of the night testing it out, then went back this morning and put it on layaway, haha.