Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm thinking about buying a Mongoose Empasse 29er from Wally World and upgrading it. I'd go with a Dart 3 29er, Avid BB7, & SRAM X.7 drivetrain.

Singletrack Slayer
    That front fork is not up to anything but gravel roads IMO. I would skip that and just go for Tyrax if your sold on a goose, It'll be lighter and have some better components you can build off of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastshot
    That front fork is not up to anything but gravel roads IMO. I would skip that and just go for Tyrax if your sold on a goose, It'll be lighter and have some better components you can build off of.
    Tyax is a 26. The Empasse would be a entry level 29er for my 13 year old son. It has grip shifters and I hate grip shifters. I'll replace them and get rid of the Shimano Tourney rear derailleur. The fork is a rigid. Maybe he'll be OK with that, but he likes the Dart 3 with poploc. At $140, if that's he wants, he'll get it. It'll be his build I guess.

Right now (06/04/2010) Performancebike.com has X.7 shifters for $40, X.7 rear derailleur for $40 and X.7 front derailleur for $20. I'll go in store at noon on Tues and get an additional 10% off plus price match to Performance's website.

That'll make him a 29er with suspension fork and X.7 for $430 and he'll learn how to install his own drivetrain and fork. I also have some Avid BB7 sitting around. He can upgrade his stock brakes with those too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz
    Tyax is a 26. The Empasse would be a entry level 29er for my 13 year old son. It has grip shifters and I hate grip shifters. I'll replace them and get rid of the Shimano Tourney rear derailleur. The fork is a rigid. Maybe he'll be OK with that, but he likes the Dart 3 with poploc. At $140, if that's he wants, he'll get it. It'll be his build I guess.

Right now (06/04/2010) Performancebike.com has X.7 shifters for $40, X.7 rear derailleur for $40 and X.7 front derailleur for $20. I'll go in store at noon on Tues and get an additional 10% off plus price match to Performance's website.

That'll make him a 29er with suspension fork and X.7 for $430 and he'll learn how to install his own drivetrain and fork. I also have some Avid BB7 sitting around. He can upgrade his stock brakes with those too.

The main problem with that is the frame,it's very heavy and is of dept.quality.I am guessing it will have a sticker warning that it is a toy and not to be ridden off road,but only on bike paths.I'm not 100% sure about that,but I'd look into it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would get something like this then replace parts as they go...

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...http:ClickInfo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CRed
    The main problem with that is the frame,it's very heavy and is of dept.quality.I am guessing it will have a sticker warning that it is a toy and not to be ridden off road,but only on bike paths.I'm not 100% sure about that,but I'd look into it.
    Actually, it's not a light frame, but it's not a chromoly heavy frame either. Frame isn't bad... Components suck ass... lower cost because of the rigid fork. Only sticker on it says wear your helmet.

Hardwarz

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Actually, it's not a light frame, but it's not a chromoly heavy frame either. Frame isn't bad... Components suck ass... lower cost because of the rigid fork. Only sticker on it says wear your helmet.

Hardwarz

Well,whether or not it's cheap steel or aluminum they list it as weighting 41 pounds which is heavy and it's still a dept. store bike.There's a thread dedicated to this very topic in the beginners forum I believe,just take a look at it before buying it.I'm not trying to be a bike snob or anything like that,but dept. store bikes are trouble for the most part.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well,whether or not it's cheap steel or aluminum they list it as weighting 41 pounds which is heavy and it's still a dept. store bike.There's a thread dedicated to this very topic in the beginners forum I believe,just take a look at it before buying it.I'm not trying to be a bike snob or anything like that,but dept. store bikes are trouble for the most part.
    I know the differance. I own several bikes, none of them are department store bikes. GT iDrive (2007), Mongoose Pro Sommet (2002), Specialized Hardrock GX (1996), Giant Rincon (1993), Diamondback Insight RS (2010) and I have a Access 29er 9.5 ordered (2010). The Empass still intrigues me... I don't know why. 41 may be the shipping weight (with box.) It is WalMart... I might go there and put it on a scale from the HBA section and see exactly how much it weighs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Front wheel could be straighter. :>

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would get something like this then replace parts as they go...

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...http:ClickInfo
    But then it wouldn't be a goose!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    But then it wouldn't be a goose!

That's true,it wouldn't be would it.I don't know,maybe the frame is decent enough to build off of.Have you seen it in person already?Oh and sorry if I implied that you weren't bike savvy,I didn't know if you were or not.

MountainMafia "Boss"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    Front wheel could be straighter. :>
    Yeah I hear ya there. The wheel was just laced and slapped on the forks. I need to take it in and have it trued, so that will remedy that issue, but I do see how crooked it is setting in the pic. Nice observation.
    "Live to ride... FREERIDE to live!!!!!!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Bam!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Picking up my new 09 Teocali Elite tonight!! Wooohooo!!! In the meantime, this is my old Goose. I'm still loving this bike. I am changing this crankset to a newer Shimano. 1995 IBOC Comp with old school Rock Shox.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Man I looked at this thread because it was goose thinking it would make me feel better about owning a cheap bike, thanks alot guys.... No but serriously I own a walgoose that I have had for about 6yrs now. It is a fs with shimano junk on it. I decided I was going to redo it with new parts but seems I should of done some research first... So far I have new cables, supossed perf brake pads, chain, 2.3 tires a new back rim speedo and front and rear lights. I got all this before getting on here, but I figure gon this far might as well finish it. You don't get ur kid a brand new car to learn how to drive or work on so I figure why get a brand new bike... It has an alum frame and I am researching parts on amazon so will probably start a build thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf
    No but serriously I own a walgoose that I have had for about 6yrs now.
    Well, which walgoose do you have? Pics!

You really shouldn't upgrade the walgoose, but if you want to learn, good for you. I suggest you go buy a good tool kit and bike repair stand if you're serious about learning. Also, buy a good repair book. Once you have tools and a good repair book, you can just mess around with your bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I believe it is a drx aluminum weights like 35pnds with lights on it. Yeah I have the tool to remove the crankset and am about to get a stand, what is a good price for one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ive been on leave all month long and have had nothing better to do today I washed and lubed my bike and decided to take some pictures (wich I stil had my DSLR these were off an olympus pen)

mtbr member
    Nice, makes me miss my Teocali.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My 06 Teocali Super

Im O'l Greggggg
    Heres my Goose! or my ex goose now unfortunately (The BB pivot link has given up the ghost completely). to make way for a Nicolai FR

Anyway, enjoy - she recently completed 560 Miles in 12 days on a charity ride

mtbr member

tyax

now with a thomson post and fizik seat, the 4 bolt shimano cranks are on now too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails post your mongoose-39345_145858335430630_100000193920242_441366_1239119_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My 08 Khyber elite, all pretty much std.

Mike in Apache Junction
    Here's my Mongoose I picked up for $45 at a yard sale three years ago. It got me started and I'll upgrade one of these days. I don't know how old it is or anything else.
    Trying to keep the rubber side down, Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My Goose, she gets the job done!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast