mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Please Welcome to the family #2 - HG Schwinn Straight 8

Well... This turned up this morning. Very happy with it and this is my 3rd Homegrown now.

There's no serial number on the BB of the mainframe. Can anyone (Beetle?Ximo?) confirm these frames dont have a serial? Or maybe its just the NOS ones that dont have one? I'll check my HG Straight 6 this morning again, but I'm pretty sure it has a serial number on the BB.

The swingarms on this one are stamped "2Kxxxxx" which means they're '2000 model parts, and the black linkages are also 2000 items. So, I could put the swingarm on the NOS 2000 Red front triangle I have on the way, bt I'm not sure. I really love the BassBoat frames!

Also if I were to build a period sped '2000 frame out of the bits, I still need a Pro Deluxe shock (as opposed to the Delux I have as spare) and also a rising rate linkage. Neither of which I have. I do have a mate thats sitting on one of the 3 Fox prototype pull-shocks that came off Nathan Rennie's Yeti DH8. So I'll more than likely buy that from him when he returns from OS next month.

What do you guys reckon? Run the HG BassBoat front triangle? or the Red one?

Pics are from Eric(The seller). I havent had time to take any yet.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Bellsy, you're killing me. That thing is sweet! I have a NOS Sweetspot Carbon frame, and it has a serial number, so I'm surprised there isn't one somewhere on that frame. But then again, there are all those HG hardtails with "????" for serials, so I guess I don't know. I'd probably run the red frame and keep the BBoat one in reserve because it is so nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah I was talking with blue72beetle on Bonustomato.com and his NOS front triangle doesnt have a serial either. So will try and track down an original bike and see if they were stamped. Schwinn may not have stamped all the extra front triangle they made as warrantly replacements (i'm guessing??) for the crack prone earlier ones??

I have the BB-Red/Gold Straight 6 as my weekend warrior, so I think I'll build this one up complete with period spec parts as a show pony. Already have some 1999 boxxers that I'm restoring, and the correct XTR mech, and a NOS Kore B52 stem. Most other parts come up on eBay and CRC as NOS every now and again.

mtbr member
    Hi Bellsy! Looks really fine your project! but you'll have to be patient to find the shock and the linkage...

I will not use the bike, just for my house like a furniture. And, my Gold frame has got S/N as well the red one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi Ximo,
    I have a correct rear shock already, and am trying to buy another one made by Fox for Nathan Rennie's Yeti DH-8 prototype to put on it instead. The linkage never came on the '99 frames so I dont need that unless I decided to convert it to '00 spec with the 00 front triangle I have.
    Was your front triangle a NOS one? or original complete frame?

mtbr member
    Just the front triangle NOS and the superior section of the linkage ( where is the S8 sticker), I've a complete '00 so I fixed the NOS 99 front triangle to the other '00 parts.

Like 2 years ago, I saw the Fox shock, really interesting and "delicatessen".

mtbr member
    I have one of these also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is it too late to ask for pictures of the Fox pull shock?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Is it too late to ask for pictures of the Fox pull shock?
    Unfortunately my mate's parent's threw it in the bin while cleaning out his room while he was living overseas.

Anyways, I have a bit of an update on this frame.
    I purchased another complete 2000 straight 8 from eBay a while back in pretty average condition, and it turned out to have be a 1999 bike with a 2000 front triangle.
    Came with the 1999 rear end, super deluxe shock, hope brakes and hubs etc.
    I have a feeling it may have been a team bike at some point as one of the swingarms has had the serial number scratched out and it's been re-stamped with just "T4". Also, it had signs of having the Toyota decals on the upper swimgarm, and the Shimano ones on the lower. So I might try and tack down some decals and try to replicate that again.

So last night at work I pulled the rear end down and cleaned/pollished all of the frame components ready for assembly on the NOS 99 front triangle above.
    Replaced all of the bearings and bolts etc and re-assembled it again this morning onto the correct front triangle. Came up a treat!!
    Just need to swap out all the bolds in the chainguide and that'll be ready to install too.

I have nos 99 Boxxers, Hope Big-Un/Mavic 321 wheels, Hope DH4/C2 brakes, nos Kore Stem etc all to go on in the next week or 2.

Now I'm going to put the nos 2000 rear end (that came with this frame) on my nos 2000 front triangle. I have 2 spare nos Pro-Deluxes, so one of those will go on it, and I just need to source the DKG rising rate linkage to complete that build.

mtbr member
    this guy likes it!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Got my (very) used Straight 6 going again tonight.

Removed the sunn doublewide rims and replaced with 321's. Replaced the old white bars with period Azonic ones, replaced tires, and also swapped the front hope hub out for an earlier one.

The poor old girl looks pretty tired, but it's mechanically A1 and now all period spec. Very happy with how it's come along and it's sometime I wont be scared to ride.

And with big brother...

mtbr member
    the best sleds on earth
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown