Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

are oteros any good?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Bambam26 
#1 ·
looking at a 08-09 otero at performance...good deal and all right size just wondering if there are problems like the teocali linkage

#2 ·
also how does it compare to the teocali comp? the teocali comp is a 08 and is 699...but is more than I am willing to spend right now...I won't be asking much of this bike just more or less of the spoon I will use to dip into the mtb world and test what things I like and don't like

#3 ·
You may want to consider a hardtail in that same price range. If you're new to mountain biking, you should be able to do without full suspension, and the same money will buy you a lot more hardtail then full suspension. It would be lighter and work better.

Another thing to consider is a hardtail will be less maintenance and less things to go wrong, which you might want to consider if you're new.

#4 ·
bad mechanic said:
You may want to consider a hardtail in that same price range. If you're new to mountain biking, you should be able to do without full suspension, and the same money will buy you a lot more hardtail then full suspension. It would be lighter and work better.

Another thing to consider is a hardtail will be less maintenance and less things to go wrong, which you might want to consider if you're new.
yeah but pretty much all the hardtails I have seen....specialized and such can't beat this bike as far as components and suspension go for the price....I have looked at cdale f8s and hardrock disc,

I believe for what I am doing the mongoose would be good enough

#5 ·
I bought an Otero super about 2 months ago and its holding up pretty well. I broke the chain on the first ride, which I hear is pretty common, replaced it with a better chain and havent had any issues since. If thats your budget I say go for it, the only thing I really dont like is the fork, thats al Im planning to upgrade on it for now

#6 ·
I have an '08 Otero Super. I bought it for the same reasons you are thinking. Performance always has them on sale and the parts spec are great for the preice. I think I paid $750 out the door when it was all said and done. It is heavy though, I think around 33 pounds in stock form but you can't expect anything less for this price. I have upgraded mine more than I should have and as a result am planning on replacing the frame later but it's current weight is 29 lbs. which I'm happy with.

Attachments

#7 ·
I bought a 09 on Otero Super on Monday, I am taking out for the first time tomorrow. I will keep you posted on how it does. I am going to go buy a extra chain in the AM from Performance before heading to the mountains though just in case. One last time if you try to look up the different parts for this bike the front shock is a SR Suntour Epicon LOD 08 model. There is no Mag 32 shock on Suntours sites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.