Jul 2009

otero suspension upgrade

so i have an 08 otero and i want to upgrade the suspension
    the fork on it now has a max od 130mm of travel and i have almost botomed it out doing small stuff

and the rear shock bottoms out frequently

so my question is that is 130mm the most the 08 otero can take

Jul 2009
    ok today was horrible the fork has gon compleatly bouncy like a pogo stick i have no control while jumping

mtbr member
    I certainly wouldn't go higher than 130mm for that bike.

You didn't specify which Otero you had or specifically which fork/shock you have, but I'm familair with the Otero Super which has a Rock Shox Bar 2.1 Rear Shock, and Rock Shox Tora 289 Fork Here are some tips for these:

On the rear shock add more air. You may not be running enough air in the rear shock. You should be running your rear shock at about 20% sag. If you don't have a shock pump, get one and use it to pump up the rear shock until it feels good.

The Tora 289 Fork has no adjustments other than rebound and travel adjust, so it has no adjustments for various weights other than to purchase a firmer spring. The stock spring is a medium which is for someone who weighs around 150 pounds. Your LBS should be able to help you order the correct spring for your weight. That will cost around $35 + installation cost.

Also to help the "pogo stick" effect, you need to increase your rebound dampening to slow the fork/shock down on it's way back up. Both front and rear should have this adjustment. Just adjust them until the pogo effect goes away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    On my '08 Otero Super I'm running an '08 Rock Shox Revelation with 130mm of travel and an '09 Fox Float RPL rear shock. Night and day differance over stock.

Jul 2009
    yeah i just went ahed and baught a giant faith 3 to freeride on.
    no need to worry about killing the supension now.