Thread: Otero "Expert"?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Otero "Expert"?

Looking for my first bike. Trying to be frugal. The Otero Super got great reviews last year. I was very close to buying an Otero Elite. Seemed to be pretty close to the Super, but with some less expensive components.
    But then I saw this "US Only" Otero Expert at Performance Bike. $649
    I dont have enough experience to really know the difference between all the different components. Any thoughts? Looks to me like Mongoose is test marketing a different price point for the Otero series.
    Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    My brother has the 2008 Otero Super and it's been a good bike for the money. There were a couple of quality control issues with the bike, but Performance warranted it with no issues. One thing I'd like to mention is that Performance is always having sales so you'll probably be able to get an Otero Super for under $700. In fact, I saw it on their site the other day for $611 after the discount code they had on the site.

Of course that means you could probably get the Otero Expert for under $500.

The Otero Super weighs about 34 pounds, and I would expect the Otero Expert to be about the same or maybe 35 pounds. So thats a bit heavy but expected for a $600 dual suspension bike.

The differences between the Otero Super and Otero Expert are:

Front Fork --> Otero Expert has a SR Suntour 100mm fork with lock out. The Super has a Rock Shox Tora 289, adjustable 85-130mm but no lockout. Overall Rock Shox has better name recognition than Suntour, but both are lower end forks.

Rear Shock --> Otero Expert has something SR Suntour not sure about the model. The Super has a Rock Shox bar 2.1 which has a rebound adjuster knob.

Brakes --> Both models have hydraulic brakes which is amazing at that price. The Expert has Promax and the Super has Tektro. Both are pretty much OEM only brakes, and both may be hard to find brake pads for, unless they designed them to use the pad from a more popular brake. I'm not sure which will be better performance wise. I do know the Tektro brakes work good on my brothers bike.

Drivetrain --> They both appear to have the same crank. The Expert has a 24 speed Shimano drivetrain, and the Super has a 27 speed SRAM drivetrain. The SRAM stuff on the Super is like one step above the alivo stuff on the Expert.

I think the rest of the parts between the bikes appear to be the same.

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    Would you say the Otero Super 08 is better than the 08 Iron Horse warrior 4.0?