mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Otero Comp What upgrades to get for $500?

Hi there, and thanks for a fantastic resource!

I've got a completely stock Mongoose Otero Pro '09, and I'm planning on using about $500 on upgrades. I mostly ride modest DH and XC.

The first thing I want to swap out is the brakes. The mechanical stock brakes definitely doesn't have the stopping power I'd like when riding DH. I'm thinking about the Avid Code 5, but I'm not sure if I need 203mm discs.. What do you guys think? Is there something cheaper that'd do the job?

The rear suspension is also something I'd like to swap out eventually.. Are there any good choices for $200-$300?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by henriklied; 09-28-2009 at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I ride an Otero Super and for the brakes I'm running Shimano XT M775's with a 180 front ans 160 rear rotor. They may be out of your price range but I've heard great things about the Shimano SLX brakes and you could probably get a complete set for around $200 if you shop around. For a rear shock, I'm using an '09 Float RPL. It has pro pedal, lock, and full open setting with rebound adjustment. It is a night and day difference. I bought mine on EBAY new for about $225 I think. The size you need is a 6.5x1.5. If you shop around you could probably get a new shock and brakes for around your $500 budget.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks, SKRDR. For the price of the Shimano XT's, I can probably get the Avid Code 5's where I live, so I'll probably go for them instead.

About the rear suspension, is it possible to swap the existing one out with one that has a bit more travel? Something like 7.875x2.25 ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    If you want you could maybe go with large rotors to help you brake then a set of Stans ZTR flow rims with whatever hubs you want or can afford then if you got enough left maybe try an SLX(shimano) crank with a chris king bottom bracket. This set up should work well. You will climb better an decend better too. NoTubes.com will give u info on the rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by henriklied
    Thanks, SKRDR. For the price of the Shimano XT's, I can probably get the Avid Code 5's where I live, so I'll probably go for them instead.

About the rear suspension, is it possible to swap the existing one out with one that has a bit more travel? Something like 7.875x2.25 ?
    from my understanding you have to stay with the same shock stroke length. which is on your bike I believe 1.5"
    -Nathaniel

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by henriklied
    Hi there, and thanks for a fantastic resource!

I've got a completely stock Mongoose Otero Pro '09, and I'm planning on using about $500 on upgrades. I mostly ride modest DH and XC.

The first thing I want to swap out is the brakes. The mechanical stock brakes definitely doesn't have the stopping power I'd like when riding DH. I'm thinking about the Avid Code 5, but I'm not sure if I need 203mm discs.. What do you guys think? Is there something cheaper that'd do the job?

The rear suspension is also something I'd like to swap out eventually.. Are there any good choices for $200-$300?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!
    You should not use a 203mm disc on a standard QR fork. It creates to much torque and twist the fork in ways it was not designed. Pretty much every QR fork has a 180mm Max disc size.