Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Crazy about Homegrowns
    Reputation: blue72beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    170

    Which one should I turn into a SS?

    So I'm still thinking about building a Single Speed. I know the Sweet Spot bikes make good single speeds. Right now I'm thinking of converting the carbon sweet spot. What would your vote be? The carbon sweet spot, aluminum sweet spot, or one of the hardtails?






  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,689
    I really think it depends on what you want. Do you have a single speed currently? If not, I'd probably do the hardtail, since it's then the ultimate maintenance free bike. I have both a hardtail and Sweetspot singlespeed, and I like the hardtail a little more because it just flies. The full suspension is nice, though, on really rooty or rocky trails. Both ride extremely well, and will make you happy.

    If you're not sure about the whole single speed thing, use the DMR single speed kit. It's cheap, looks good, and works very well. Please do NOT use a sprung tensioner. Otherwise, the Eno Eccentric hub is the easiest and best tensioner for a Homegrown due to their 73mm BB shell. Although, if you're willing to cut the BB down to 68mm, you can fit the Forward Components Eccentric Bottom Bracket, which is the best tensioning system currently available

    My hardtail:


    My Sweetspot:


    The Carbon Sweetspot single speed I built up for my friend:

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    109
    Personally I think you should sell that Ally SS frame to me just to help you narrow down your choices.

    Secondly, The hardtail would make a better singlespeed. You want to keep the FS one as a geared bike for longer rides. It'll be more comfortable, and easier to ride.

    The hardtail will be easier to ride as a single speed. Lighter, whippier and easier to sprint and keep the momentum up on the climbs.

    Easy way to see for yourself though is to do a ride on each, and only use 1 gear for the whole ride and see which is easier to manage on that one gear.

  4. #4
    Crazy about Homegrowns
    Reputation: blue72beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    170
    I think I've decided to turn the blue/silver Factory into an SS. The Factory frame is already lighter to begin with, and I have two of them. But first I'm going to get the 4 Banger done.


    I ran into a problem with the old Xvert fork. I really wanted to run BB7 brakes, but I found out this fork has the old 68mm mounting posts. Making BB7's work with them seemed impossible. I do have the old Hayes brakes that fit, but they need rebuilt and I really hate messing with hydros. So it was either replace the fork or replace the brakes. I decided to get a new fork. Now I have a new 100mm Manitou R7 on the way I'll put this xvert on my other Sweetspot frame, where I'll use v-brakes.

    Also have new wheels coming, and will get the drivetrain all hooked up after the wheels get here. The only thing I need is cables, housings and a saddle.
    Last edited by blue72beetle; 09-07-2010 at 06:01 PM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,689
    Quote Originally Posted by blue72beetle
    I ran into a problem with the old Xvert fork. I really wanted to run BB7 brakes, but I found out this fork has the old 68mm mounting posts. Making BB7's work with them seemed impossible.
    http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Adapters.html

  6. #6
    Crazy about Homegrowns
    Reputation: blue72beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    170
    Ok, the 4 Banger is done so I've decided. I'm going to build a single speed. I think I've got enough parts around to do the blue/silver Factory frame. Front gear will be the middle ring from an LX crankset.

    I'm using an older 8 speed LX rear hub, so I'm going to need a conversion kit. I'm eyeing this one from Pricepoint, but not sure if it will work.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/167...ersion-Kit.htm

    Any other ideas?

  7. #7
    CTB
    CTB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    943
    I'm late to the party, but I'm glad you didn't pick the alum Sweetspot. That would completely violate the spirit, karma, qi, whatever, of that frame. That was a geared racing bike whose reason for living was to be a geared racing bike. SS would be heresy on that one.

    I would have voted the Carbon because I'm a suspension snob/can't ride hardtails, but your choice is good, too.

  8. #8
    Crazy about Homegrowns
    Reputation: blue72beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    I'm late to the party, but I'm glad you didn't pick the alum Sweetspot. That would completely violate the spirit, karma, qi, whatever, of that frame. That was a geared racing bike whose reason for living was to be a geared racing bike. SS would be heresy on that one.

    I would have voted the Carbon because I'm a suspension snob/can't ride hardtails, but your choice is good, too.
    Yeah, the aluminum Sweetspot is going to get the top of the line treatment. XTR all the way. That frame is my one of a kind prize. It'll make me broke.

    One reason I didn't choose the carbon is because it's already a complete bike. The last thing I need is more half built bikes lying around.
    I also figure a Factory single speed hardtail should be pretty light!

  9. #9
    Crazy about Homegrowns
    Reputation: blue72beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    If you're not sure about the whole single speed thing, use the DMR single speed kit. It's cheap, looks good, and works very well. Please do NOT use a sprung tensioner. Otherwise, the Eno Eccentric hub is the easiest and best tensioner for a Homegrown due to their 73mm BB shell. Although, if you're willing to cut the BB down to 68mm, you can fit the Forward Components Eccentric Bottom Bracket, which is the best tensioning system currently available
    Why shouldn't I use a spring tensioner? I see you used one on the Carbon you did.
    I found the DMR kit and I think I'll get one of those. I can't seem to find a place that sells Eno Eccentric BB's, but I've got a feeling they're expensive.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,689
    Quote Originally Posted by blue72beetle
    Why shouldn't I use a spring tensioner? I see you used one on the Carbon you did.
    I found the DMR kit and I think I'll get one of those. I can't seem to find a place that sells Eno Eccentric BB's, but I've got a feeling they're expensive.
    Because then you're still replying on a spring to keep proper tension. A spring tensioner will still let the chain rattle around, and can lose enough tension to all the chain to jump. If the tension doesn't change, then why bother with a spring?

    The Carbon doesn't have a sprung tensioner on it, but the rigid DMR tensioner. With it you set the tension you want, and then it bolts into position. It takes slightly longer to set up, but works much better than any spring. I'm quite fond of the DMR kit you're speaking of.

    The cheapest place I've found to buy an Eno Eccentric hub is either bikeman.com or through Cambria during one of their sales. If you're looking at the Forward Components Eccentric Bottom Bracket, then it can be purchased directly through the manufacturer at:
    http://forwardcomponents.blogspot.com/

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    74
    I just bought this. Ill see if I like SS.



  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    74
    Here is the completed project! Thanks to Bad Mechanic!


  13. #13
    CTB
    CTB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    943
    I see Alps! That damn Bad Mechanic guy...

  14. #14
    CTB
    CTB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    943
    Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but...

    Ducrider, what size is your frame? I'm trying to train my eyes to visually identify the 17" and 19" frames since sales listings for them are notoriously inaccurate. If I had to guess, I'd say Duc's is a 17 and Blue and B-M's are 19's. Correct? Thanks!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,689
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but...
    Don't worry, it's a good thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Ducrider, what size is your frame? I'm trying to train my eyes to visually identify the 17" and 19" frames since sales listings for them are notoriously inaccurate. If I had to guess, I'd say Duc's is a 17 and Blue and B-M's are 19's. Correct? Thanks!
    That's correct.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,689
    Quote Originally Posted by blue72beetle View Post
    So I'm still thinking about building a Single Speed.
    So, how did your single speed project end up?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •