Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

No more Mongoose (Pro lines) in the US

I sold my last Mongoose a few months ago. It was an older Mongoose Sommet FS. I just read at work that after this year, Mongoose will not be sold in the US. I'm guessing that the licensing of the Mongoose name has killed the product in the US. What will you do? Switch brands?
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

teocali???etc.

maybe GT will pick-up the slack.......they were hard to find since no shops didn't stock them here-had to be special ordered/watch for sales at Nashbar+Performance......

mtbr member
    I ordered a specialized.

mtbr member
    I've found it easy enough to get a hold of one online.

Funny thing is, it's actually one I saw in a LBS, that now they don't have anymore. I liked it back then and wished I could've bought it before.

With that said, I've got mine on it's way. I should've gotten faster shipping.. But free shipping was so much easier on the wallet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm sticking with Mongoose especially now that they are coming back...
    Riding the Geese since '98! Check out my youtube videos at www.youtube.com/mongoosejake

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmongooserider View Post
    I'm sticking with Mongoose especially now that they are coming back...
    Coming back?!?! How do you figure? Mongoose mountain bikes will only be available in Europe. US Mongoose products are designed and built by Pacific Bicycles, not Mongoose.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

No Stranger to danger....
    Who in their right mind would want to stay with a brand like mongoose, with all due respect they are at the bottom of the heap these days, mongoose going is no loss to anybody.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz View Post
    Coming back?!?! How do you figure? Mongoose mountain bikes will only be available in Europe. US Mongoose products are designed and built by Pacific Bicycles, not Mongoose.
    I stay in somewhat consistant/somewhat random contact with Dorel, CSG, and Pacific reps, and they'll give me bit and pieces of info as they're allowed (I run a small YouTube channel that's Mongoose and mountain biking oriented). A couple of Pacific reps have been in contact with me via email, and have notified me of the planned return of the IBD (or Independent Bicycle Dealer) lineup to the US in either late February or March. No word on if the entire line will return, or just partial (they limit the lineup in certain countries for some reason).

The mass-market bikes built by Pacific under the Mongoose name (sold by big box stores such as Walmart and Target) are made in different factories/assembly lines than the IBD line. There is a totally different set of QC in place for each type of line. Teocali's arent produced side by side with Ledge 2.1's.

However, I'm not against bigboxbikes at all, as they allow cycling to reach more people than higher end bikes do, since many people cannot justify spending more than $200-$300 on a bike to start with.

But indeed, the more expensive lineup from Mongoose is making a return. I'll be keeping updates on my YouTube channel and bigboxbikes.com rather than this forum due to the poor reception from the majority of MTBR members (not all, but many).
    Riding the Geese since '98! Check out my youtube videos at www.youtube.com/mongoosejake

mtbr member
    Support American Made bikes

" But indeed, the more expensive lineup from Mongoose is making a return. I'll be keeping updates on my YouTube channel and bigboxbikes.com rather than this forum due to the poor reception from the majority of MTBR members (not all, but many) "

a true enthusiast would take his or her skirt off and look past the opinions of others to keep people informed. Last I checked the title reads "Mongoose" - Schwinn ... not youtube
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    Support American Made bikes

" But indeed, the more expensive lineup from Mongoose is making a return. I'll be keeping updates on my YouTube channel and bigboxbikes.com rather than this forum due to the poor reception from the majority of MTBR members (not all, but many) "

a true enthusiast would take his or her skirt off and look past the opinions of others to keep people informed. Last I checked the title reads "Mongoose" - Schwinn ... not youtube
    Honestly, I'm as much of an enthusiast as you'll find for Mongoose. I'd say I'm probably their biggest non-paid supporter. However, I won't push Mongoose on a forum that doesn't want it, rather I'll put most of the updates on my channel and simply keep tabs on here. I'm not going to abandon MTBR, but I'll just be on here a bit less.

mtbr member
    yeah, i'm watching your Low end Vs. high end bike video... worst comparison i've seen in a while. although they look similar and made from the same material, the Trek 3700's more stout frame and welds is what makes the bike worth more, not the components that are bolted on to it. You see, that's where the cost comes into play. not to mention you can't take your bike back to Wally World for a tune up. but i'm sure you already knew that
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    there's a reason why the Xr Pro isn't available in department stores ... you said it yourself, price is a reflection of quality in your video, but our view of high end is a bit low
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    there's a reason why the Xr Pro isn't available in department stores ... you said it yourself, price is a reflection of quality in your video, but our view of high end is a bit low
    To be honest,my high vs low end video was made as a direct comparison for a few individuals looking at those two models. The Trek was over double, and you can't tell me that a mass produced Chinese build frame (no Trek isn't directly making the frame for the 3 series, I hope you didn't think they were, they outsource those, and have for quite some time now) is vastly superior to another one. Somewhat superior yes, but vastly... No. I even stated that much in the video.

I don't know where you're coming up with your statements, but yes the XR PRO is stocked in department stores, not all Walmarts stock it, but some do. I know of three within a couple hours drive that do, and that's simply due to those stores being larger better stocked locations. Sevierville TN, Lexington KY and Louisville KY have stores that stock the XR PRO at times.

Read the comments section below the video before telling me that my view of high end is a bit low. I made it clear that in "high end" I was referring to the perceived status of Trek as being a "higher end" brand vs Mongoose as being perceived as a "low end" brand. Not the individual bikes themselves... You missed that I guess. Sure I compared the bikes, but they were the example, as I stated in the video.

The Snarl was equally or better equipped on all fronts (same drivetrain, except the Snarl was 8 speed vs the 7 speed Trek, which also had the inferior fork), and it came down to frame quality on a bike that'll see light trail usage and commuting usage, not exactly the greatest stress a frame can see, lol. Either would last a decade or more with proper care while being rode on sidewalks, rail-Trails and bike paths, or the boardwalk. The fact is, these bikes are going to get looked at by new riders, or leisure riders and the truth that one cost $250 vs $530 is a big deal. The extra money can go towards a decent helmet, gloves, a bike rack, multiple tune ups at the lbs, gas money for a bike trip or two, etc. If you can't see that, then I have to wonder if you have any common sense left...

mtbr member
    i don't think i've ever seen anyone one use parentheses as much as you ... we're just in different worlds. i'm in a world where Mt. bikes actually touch dirt, not bikes that have stickers saying " not made for off road use "
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i don't think i've ever seen anyone one use parentheses as much as you ... we're just in different worlds. i'm in a world where Mt. bikes actually touch dirt, not bikes that have stickers saying " not made for off road use "
    LOL! Parentheses do get used alot by me, I'll give you that. You certainly dont have the pull the old "sticker on the top tube says no off-road riding" gag on me, lol. Haven't heard that before... Just kidding

In all reality, this thread is refering to the lineup from Mongoose that was (and should be again- there's those parentheses again) sold through IBD's otherwise known as your local bike shops. Now I totally understand that probably 80-90% or more of shops probably will not have any interest in selling Mongoose, even if they did in the past. I've personally talked with two that are very interested in re-upping with Mongoose, as tehy had good success with the brand as recently as 2 years ago. The mountain bikes from the IBD Mongoose lineup certainly arent going to have the "sticker" on the top tube, but maybe the Crossway hybrid will, lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    we're just in different worlds. i'm in a world where Mt. bikes actually touch dirt, not bikes that have stickers saying " not made for off road use "
    Well, neither bike (the Mongoose Snarl or the Trek 3700 disk) are going to wind up seing much hardcore riding, but rather like I stated, will be likely used for some light trails, commuting, bike paths, rail-trails, and general riding. Neither frame has a strength issue (both tubesets are oversized, and both are made from lower level alloy, its just that Trek puts a name on their alloy used), both are mass-produced in China, with Trek requiring tighter QC I'm sure, leading to a bit higher frame cost. Both are similarly equipped, with the Bonti parts on the Trek looking a bit better. The 'Goose has an 8 speed drivetrain vs the 7 speed Trek, using the same derailleur's and shifters with just a gearing differential.

What it comes down to in reality, is that if you swapped the stickers on the downtube, while leaving the price alone you'd be praising the now $250 Trek as being an incredible steal of a buy that'd be great for a new rider or those on a budget (again, neither is me but I defend riders who chose to buy a lower end bike due to those reasons, at least they are riding!).

I'm not telling you to go and trade in your Schwinn for the Snarl, or that the Snarl is the new top bike on the block. What I'm saying is that there are many people who needlessly bash bikes that are under $500 or so. 15-20 years ago, department store bikes failed regularly but just like upper level bikes have vastly improved in that time frame, so has the bikes at the lower end. Someone can now spend $250-$350 (Airborne's Skyhawk at $350 is a fine bike, with X4, hydro brakes, basic but decent wheels, etc) and get a decent ride, and thats all I'm saying.

mtbr member
    Quality reflects price
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

Cow Clicker
    I can't believe I've read two arguments between two people with screen names of brands of bikes that were popular 25 years ago and are now sold in WalMart.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    I can't believe I've read two arguments between two people with screen names of brands of bikes that were popular 25 years ago and are now sold in WalMart.
    The difference is I don't continue to support the brand name that is now offered at Walmart . I support the higher quality built frames of The American made Homegrowns
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmongooserider View Post
    I'll be keeping updates on... bigboxbikes.com rather than this forum due to the poor reception from the majority of MTBR members (not all, but many).
    Bigboxbikes.com. Wow! There's a blast-from-the-past. I have an account there and haven't posted in years. There must be, what, 37 members there now?
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

Cow Clicker
    The difference is I don't continue to support the brand name that is now offered at Walmart . I support the higher quality built frames of The American made Homegrowns
    The bikes you list in your signature are all more than 12 years old. Looks like you haven't "supported" any brand in quite a while.

Pacific Cycle is an American Division, of a Canadian company, based out of Wisconsin that employs a lot of Americans and gets a lot of butts on a lot of bikes. They supply a product for a specific market. I'd say they do more for getting people into "The Sport" of mountain biking and the US economy than any homegrown LBS or custom builder.

In case you haven't noticed, all this arguing only makes people feel bad about what they already have and negatively impacts "The Sport" and this forum. Quit bagging on other people's bikes. You just come across as an elitist bike snob.

mtbr member
    :d ..
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

Cow Clicker
    8==0~

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    The bikes you list in your signature are all more than 12 years old. Looks like you haven't "supported" any brand in quite a while.

Pacific Cycle is an American Division, of a Canadian company, based out of Wisconsin that employs a lot of Americans and gets a lot of butts on a lot of bikes. They supply a product for a specific market. I'd say they do more for getting people into "The Sport" of mountain biking and the US economy than any homegrown LBS or custom builder.

In case you haven't noticed, all this arguing only makes people feel bad about what they already have and negatively impacts "The Sport" and this forum. Quit bagging on other people's bikes. You just come across as an elitist bike snob.
    Touche.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast