CTB
    mtbr member

New parts on the Banger - EB

Just installed my new parts today:

After having knee issues that I haven't had before, I started to wonder about the pedals causing it. When a friend bought new Eggbeaters, he let me borrow his old ones to try out. Wow, that extra 2 of float seems like way more than that once you're on the bike. My ride with the pedals went well - I was very aware of how much more my feet moved around with the EB's, and I thought how the Shimanos would have been not allowing that. No knee pain at all after the ride, so I bought a set of 2010 SL's for my bike, along with the Premium cleats. When I use Shimano cleats, I slide my foot as far outward as possible, as that is comfortable for me. The standard EB cleats don't have any slide, so I got the Premiums you see above on my shoe. I got a pretty good price online for the package, so I'm happy.

I won't say "Everyone should get these!" because they shouldn't. If you don't have knee pains, then SPDs or whatever else you like are fine. However, if you're having knee issues with SPDs, definitely give these a shot. The amount of float and the style of float allows a lot more freedom of movement, and thus less stress on the knee. Shimanos pivot about the front of the cleat; EB's don't pin down the front or the rear of the cleat, so you get more freedom. The release of the EB's is not as easy as the SPD multi-release cleats I've been using (SH-56), but I'll pay that price to get rid of the knee pains I've been having. I will topple over at one point, but that's the way it's going to have to be, I guess.

For the weenies in the crowd, my Shimano M520's came in at 379g. These EB SL's came in at 268g. I didn't weigh the cleats.

First ride with these is supposed to be tomorrow, but we're going to get pummeled with T-storms all day...

mtbr member
    i'm glad to hear the Egg's helped you out! my knees hurt, but it's not from riding...
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    I've had surgery on one of my knees, but the last few rides I've done have actually hurt both knees, so something's up. The jury's still out on the EBs since my test ride with them wasn't my "home track," but it was a long, tough ride. The acid test will be the next ride, but even if my knees still hurt, I'm keeping them. I like the float.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    After developing knee pain with my Scotts I went to Eggbeaters, and all the pain just went away. You're right, Eggbeaters feel different than any SPD pedal, but it's something I really like, and the weight is hard to beat. Glad to see you've finally come over to clipless!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Also, I'll just leave this here...

http://www.titaniumspindles.com/

CTB
    mtbr member
    Oh, I still hate clipless, but at least these don't hurt my knees. They'll hurt everything else when I can't get out of the *#&%^ing things on the left, but it's worth that chance for the knee relief.

Spindles: BM, I hate you. BTW, note that that guy is local to me here in Detroit. I already knew about him as a friend bought Ti spindles from him for his EB's. (I assume this is the same guy - can't be two guys in Detroit making Ti spindles, can there?) $40 would set me up, as I understand it. I wanted to make sure that the EB's worked well before I went for that. But yep, those are definitely on my radar.

So with that segue, here is the "final" report on the EB's. I went for a ride on my "home track" on Thursday, and not just a ride, but one against the clock. I was going for time on the first lap, so I was hoofing it pretty hard. I did a second lap as well (which is standard practice for me), and I had no pains at all. This is the same trail that brought the knee pain to light earlier this year, so I'm pretty convinced that the EB's have done the job. I'm happy with my purchase, as a purchase for health is well-spent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Do you have them set to 15 or 20 degrees release?

CTB
    mtbr member
    15, dots on right. It seems my ankles are screwy. I can get out of the right side just fine, but not the left. History:
    * Tried buddy's 6-yr-old EB's to test. Right easy to disengage, left not.
    * Tried my new pedals with his old cleats. Same story, assumed cleats wore weird.
    * Installed my new cleats, still the same story! Ankles seemingly defective.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Try rotating your left cleat so it releases sooner when rotating your foot to the outside.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Giggamahig!

Can't say I notice any difference shifting, but at least that ugly-@$$ loop is gone.

This one's just called "Fun day in the garage."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've found it doesn't make the shifter better, but rather makes the system much more tolerant of dirt and wear. It looks like you can shorten the housing up some more as well.

Nice looking bunch you have there!

By the way, check out self amalgamating tape (AKA self fusing tape) for chainstay protectors. It only sticks to itself, and after about an hour fuses into one solid piece of rubber.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Nice looking bunch you have there!
    Thanks! I rather like them as well.

Interesting tip on the tape, BM.

Just got back from a ride tonight. Had another new part on the bike, adding a tomato to the count.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New parts on the Banger - EB-dsc07216s.jpg