mtbr member
    Oct 2009

New to Mountain Biking

Hi Folks,

I'm new to mountain biking and just got my first mountian bike. I was wondering what you more knowledgable riders could tell me about my ride. I'm a commuter style of cyclist and was looking for another bike when this one just happened to pop up.

Its a Mongoose Tetra SX that was headed to the "great bike graveyard" and I don't know anything about them. I'm not sure when this bike was made its an unfinished aluminum frame, seven sprockets on the back wheel. The gears seem to have up and down paddles as well as the front derailers. This bike seems to be as light as a feather.

I took it into my local bike store and they seem impressed with it. Needs a tune, wheels trued and brake adjustment. I'm also adding fenders for when the weather gets bad.

From the bit of lurking I did before opening my account I didn't see anything on this particular model. So here's my questions:

1) How do I determine the year my bike was built, its a Mongoose Tetra SX unfinished aluminum frame?

2) Once I determine when my bike was built, what sort of components did the Mongoose Tetra SX come with? How do you determine if the components on the bike should be upgraded?

3) Is the Mongoose Tetra SX a good starter bike or is it a more advanced model? This is the last bike I'm ever going to need. Does Mongoose's have a good reputation and longivity? I've never heard of them before. Again from some lurking I'm assuming they are a specialty bike not a mass manufactured bike, am I wrong?

4) I plan on using it for daily commuting and doing some exploring around my city. Good choice or should I have considered another model or type of bike?

5) What sort of maintenance does a bike like this need/should have? I'm used to the old CCM and store bought bikes. The ones we drove into the ground. This appears to be a much better bike so I want to take care of it and enjoy it.

6) This bike has mountain bike or off road style tires on it. Good or bad choice for daily commuter driving? The bike shop was trying to talk me into putting on "hybrid tires" for the style of riding I do. Would those be a better choice?

Anyways thanks for your time reading my post I look forward to what the more knowledgable have to say. I'll probably have more questions after riding the bike and reading your responses.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

New to you bike....

1) How do I determine the year my bike was built, its a Mongoose Tetra SX unfinished aluminum frame?
    Pictures might help us if someone here knows about the bike. I don't know anything about the SX. Try google too.

2) Once I determine when my bike was built, what sort of components did the Mongoose Tetra SX come with? How do you determine if the components on the bike should be upgraded?
    Broken or worn out stuff needs to be replaced. After that, it is all pretty much personal choice. If you don't have the mechanical skills, you'll have to find a bike shop you like and trust. But, I recommend getting a good bike manual and learning to do your own repairs.

3) Is the Mongoose Tetra SX a good starter bike or is it a more advanced model? This is the last bike I'm ever going to need. Does Mongoose's have a good reputation and longivity? I've never heard of them before. Again from some lurking I'm assuming they are a specialty bike not a mass manufactured bike, am I wrong?
    Depends on the year of the bike - Mongoose used to be independent, but now is owned by a huge conglomerate. A quick google search led me to believe it was probably a decent mid-range to low upper end bike - but others probably know more than I.

4) I plan on using it for daily commuting and doing some exploring around my city. Good choice or should I have considered another model or type of bike?
    All goes back to personal choice. It is fits, and you like it - use it,

5) What sort of maintenance does a bike like this need/should have? I'm used to the old CCM and store bought bikes. The ones we drove into the ground. This appears to be a much better bike so I want to take care of it and enjoy it.
    If it has been unused, or not maintained - remove and repack/replace all bearings. Change all the cables and brake pads. Chains and sprockets need to be checked/replaced (a good bike shop can tell you if they are OK.) Lube the chain - ride.

6) This bike has mountain bike or off road style tires on it. Good or bad choice for daily commuter driving? The bike shop was trying to talk me into putting on "hybrid tires" for the style of riding I do. Would those be a better choice?
    If you are commuting - yes.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

What could go wrong ...
    some info here for that bike
    only 1 year listed for it ... AL frame with low end components ... put some slicks on it and ride
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    some info here for that bike
    only 1 year listed for it ... AL frame with low end components ... put some slicks on it and ride
    Thanks, I found the same thing when I did a Google search on Mongoose Tetra SX. Printed it off so I'll have something for insurance purposes. It seems from the two replys that I've received the best way to go is to replace the off road tires with hybrids or street tires.

Thanks for the information.