Maaaaan

A New Low for Schwinn?

I didn't think I'd see anything worse, than what I've been seeing with the Schwinn name on it, for the last few years and then I walked into Costco yesterday.

Complete total POS. I do believe the Motive bikes were a hand above these, if thats even possible.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    old news

squish is good
    I haven't seen a decent Schwinn in years... the brand is ded, yes d-e-d, dead.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    They have some very decent road bikes, but it seems they are giving up on mountain biking.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Considering schwinn, mongoose and gt are all owned by Pacific Cycles which is itself owned by a canadian investment group called Durel, they can afford to focus the lines in different areas.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I haven't seen a decent Schwinn in years... the brand is ded, yes d-e-d, dead.
    Pretty sad awwright. When I was a kid, Schwinn made the best bikes to be had. I went through a couple Sting Rays and then moved into a 10sp Continental when I got a little older.

Back then there was Schwinn...and all those inferior bike brands.

mtbr member
    I'm with Ricko. When I was a kid, there was no better bike for kids to own outside of a Schwinn.

I was a wheelie king and the Sting Ray had the best geometry for such, as well as gear ratio.

When I got older, I bought a full size Continental. heavy as a truck, but a great bike. I never measured the seat tube, but I DO know the steer tube was a full 12." 'Tallest bike I've ever ridden, and I'm 5'11".
    What's the big deal? It's only a thing.

Maaaaan
    I've know for some time that Schwinn's name was ruined, but these bikes were by far the worst I have ever seen with their name on it.

banned
    What's sad was a year or two before their complete downfall, they made some phenomenal hardtails. Once in a while I see someone riding the trails with one of these frames and I'm still in lust.

Luckily Yeti made it out of that group just in time. They are VERY lucky.

mtbr member
    I bought a 19" S-20 back in '96 I think, maybe '97. The first year they used the bigger bottom bracket shell for the 'sweet spot' (frame pivot.) It was a sweet bike, till someone came into my basement and stole it two years ago along with $1200 worth of bike and mech tools. I really miss that rig.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyjdrummer
    I bought a 19" S-20 back in '96 I think, maybe '97. The first year they used the bigger bottom bracket shell for the 'sweet spot' (frame pivot.) It was a sweet bike, till someone came into my basement and stole it two years ago along with $1200 worth of bike and mech tools. I really miss that rig.
    Yep I remember that bike. The 1997 year was the pinnacle year for schwinn in mountain biking. That was the year they had the market by the tail. The sweet spot pivot was reguarded as the best suspension design of that year. From that point on they just went down hill and I dont mean an actual downhill run.

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Yep I remember that bike. The 1997 year was the pinnacle year for schwinn in mountain biking. That was the year they had the market by the tail. The sweet spot pivot was reguarded as the best suspension design of that year. From that point on they just went down hill and I dont mean an actual downhill run.
    It seems to me, that the bike you guys are talking about was really great and just needed some minor tweaking. I keep thinking it just needed more room around the seat and chain stays for bigger tires and more mud clearance. Other than that, it was great, but it was like Schwinn just gave up and died.

Was that the Rocket 88?

mtbr member
    It was nice. The suspension changed immediately when you came out of the saddle. It was like a bike with two frames.
    Sitting was like a Cadillac. When you stand, it's like a long 2 x 6 and you are in the middle. Bunny hops are no problem. I had a cane Creek AD-10 in the tail and a Judy in the front.
    RACEFACE Turbine crank set and Avid 10 brakes. I think I had Sun Mammoth rims. They were fat. MTB Velociraptor skins.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyjdrummer
    It was nice. The suspension changed immediately when you came out of the saddle. It was like a bike with two frames.
    Sitting was like a Cadillac. When you stand, it's like a long 2 x 6 and you are in the middle. Bunny hops are no problem. I had a cane Creek AD-10 in the tail and a Judy in the front.
    My brother has a 1996 Catamount that has the same design. He almost went for the Schwinn back then but opted for the Cat. He still rides that bike to this day and loves it. My sister and brother inlaw also built up two Cats that same year. They raced many XC races from 1996 - 2002 and did very well on them. They since have retired both bikes from racing. But still have them and pleasure ride them periodically.

mtbr member
    It had plenty of room, which is why I put the Mammoths on it. I was running 2.1 tires, and the rims gave me even more width. There was nothing wrong with the design aside from running open cables on the tire side of the down tube. The front tire would dump into the cable casings, so I ran solid casings all the way from front to back. Lots of zip ties, and it looked like a Murray, but it got me up and down the hill.

mtbr member
    I rode mine for 8 years, and owned two other rigs at different times, but kept the S-20.

Maaaaan
    I went and looked up older Schwinns, I thought you guys were talking about the Rocket 88, but you must be talking about the S-10s.
    They really ragged on URT bikes, but I think they, like all good designs,still have a place.

man the ramparts!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    What's sad was a year or two before their complete downfall, they made some phenomenal hardtails. Once in a while I see someone riding the trails with one of these frames and I'm still in lust.

Luckily Yeti made it out of that group just in time. They are VERY lucky.
    Yup. The homegrown was one of my all-time favorite bikes. Loved that bass boat blue paint scheme.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Schwinn has their Walmart line, and a line they call "Select series". The mongoose Teocali is a pretty good bike, and the new Schwinn Rocket is based on a similar frame. It uses a version of Mongooses Freedrive system, called the "Isodrive". Both of these company's make a lot of junk for the low end masses, but they also make a better line of bikes. They will probably never get past the stigma of the low end junk. That can work in your favor. I picked up a new Rocket frame last year. It turned out to be well made, clean welds on 7005 aluminum, sealed cartridge bearings at all pivots , a pretty decent frame. And cheap.The suspension really works to eliminate pedal induced bob. I run it as a SS, and it climbs about as well as my hardtails.

mtbr member
    Sad to see how far they've fallen. I've got a hardtail from 95 (the S95.1 series) that had the assymetric chain stays. It was a sweet bike. Came with the new (at the time) 8-speed Shimano XT and a RockShox Mag-21. I ride it occasionally but tend to baby it. I don't think I can replace the rear derailleur hanger if I rip if off again.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

-eddie.

schwinn homegrown

they really have gone downhill, i have a 99 schwinn homegrown; one of the yeti builds. I went biking the other day and a guy said, "hey man your not going to make it on a schwinn."
    i said dont worry guy this bike is from before they were ****. lol.

mtbr member

not sure.

Ok, i gotta weigh in on this topic:

i agree, it sucks that schwinn GT and mongoose all got bought out by pacific, and that thier name is on a few huffy quality bikes. HOWEVER! and thats a big however, that doesnt mean that ALL of the bikes made under the pacific umbrella are awefull bikes. I've seen the difference in quality just between a dept. store bike that costs 150, and 250 bucks. Now i have to say that from here on out, I'll only be talking about frame quality unless i mention otherwise, since that is all that pacific actually manufactures. the 100 dollar difference in the frames at target, walmart, sears, etc. is fairly large. everything from junk steel tubing (trail tuned!) to the welds on the steel junk frames on the sub 200 dollar bikes will show you that you are indeed looking at a dept. store bike. but, then you look at some of the close to, and over 200 dollar bikes, and you start to see 6061 heat treated frames, and 7005 al frames. the welds are very nice (and by the way, i am a certified welder, in both MIG and TIG processes, on steel, stainless steel and aluminum, and i built roll cages for over a year so... i know my stuff) they are handmade frames, and they are actually fabricated very nicely for being so cheap. It seems to me that the quality of frame you get on a 250 dollar el cheapo schwinn is right along side what you'd have gotten out of a 2002 model frame. the reason they are 250 bucks is that you get a suspension fork that is completly useless, doesnt even have a preload adjustment. bottom of the barrel driveline components, crummy headsets, and bottom brakets, a junk rear shock (on the full suspension models) which only allows preload and doesnt even HAVE ANY rebound adjustment. You get a pretty nice frame, with the crappiest componentry you can imagine. add to that a pimply faced teen working part time who just got the job of putting the bikes together shoved in his lap, and you have a REALLY bad scenario, poorly adjusted terrible quality derailuers... loose, or overtightened headsets, and bottom brakets, chains too short, chains too long..... the list is endless.
    for the vast majority of people, if you plan on riding your bike a few times through the summer months, dont spend 400 bucks, buy the 200 dollar target bike and enjoy your few rides.... for those of us who use and abuse our bikes as often as possible, its typically not worth it, there are a few exceptions to this rule, but yea, buying used is a better plan than buying dept. store bikes. for my long winded post, the point I'm trying to make is, just because pacific ownes these companies, doesnt mean that they are nessicarily making junk. the build quality of the nicer schwinn frames (LBS worthy) are certainly not on par with the hey-day homegrowns and such, but they arent junk. and neither are the "higher end" dept. store frames.

I mentioned a few other times that i bought a schwinn S60 DSX from target. look up the pics of that bike, then look at an 02 mesa DSX..... basically the same frame, just totally different components.
    -kevin

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It looks like Pacific focuses Schwinn to the road rider, where they let GT do the mountain bike thing, while Mongoose is the extreme use bike now. As far as Schwinn goes The Peloton and Fastback are pretty cool and are priced better than a lot of other bikes.
    Shimano and Sram have parts on bikes that are sold in mass, does that mean we shouldn't use those parts? besides, let's not be haters out there, your super cool s-works or your trek was built in the same factory as that "lowly" Schwinn.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I still have my bright blue '99 Moab 2 Aluminum frame, which I stripped to build up a '00Homegrown S-Carbon Sweetspot bike. I'm still using that bike to this day, having put on new wheels, a rear disc conversion, and other fun stuff. I still love the bike - the URT suits me just fine. I don't do freeride or downhill, and for XC/all-mountain that I do, it's great.

I bought my Schwinn after my cousin recommended them back in '98, saying "check them out - they're better than you think." Good components for the money, and to my eyes some of the best-looking bikes on the market. It's sad that they went by the wayside as they have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Back in the mid 90s, the wife and I used to ride a couple of Schwinns. I had (have) a High Plains and she had a Mesa. Then one day she crashed and that was the end of our bike rides.
    Now the wife is history but I still have my High Plains. It probably only has around 300 miles or so on it (she has MANY more). I recently had it checked out and it was declared fit for a Clydesdale (me). It is used as a backup to my Trek 820.
    What is the opinion here of the High Plains?

Dave

Did you hear about updog?

It's the bike that got me obsessed with schwinn

I can testify that I have actually ridden a 96 model year highplanes from schwinn, when they were the god of bicycles. My best friend from down the street brought it over, a visiting relative of his had one so we were taking a few spins around with it. Of course my perception of the bike could have been bias since prior to that day, all I had known was Huffy and the like! One thing is certain though, as soon as I got on it, I immediately fell in love with the "new-fangled" rapid-fire shifters, and the canti-lever brakes sure felt stronger than what I was used to. The frame really felt well built, very solid and responsive! That is what started my obsession, I had to have a schwinn! Who would have thought though, 18 months later when I saved up enough lawn mowing money, my big purchase ended up being a 97 Scott Comp Racing hard tail, decked out with LX and XT components. I had planned on getting a 97 Red Schwinn S-20 though, the only reason I bought the Scott was because it was orig. $1099.00 and it was actually marked down to $599! I couldn't pass it up, it ended up actually being a fantastic bike!

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by firerat
    I can testify that I have actually ridden a 96 model year highplanes from schwinn, when they were the god of bicycles. My best friend from down the street brought it over, a visiting relative of his had one so we were taking a few spins around with it. Of course my perception of the bike could have been bias since prior to that day, all I had known was Huffy and the like! One thing is certain though, as soon as I got on it, I immediately fell in love with the "new-fangled" rapid-fire shifters, and the canti-lever brakes sure felt stronger than what I was used to. The frame really felt well built, very solid and responsive! That is what started my obsession, I had to have a schwinn! Who would have thought though, 18 months later when I saved up enough lawn mowing money, my big purchase ended up being a 97 Scott Comp Racing hard tail, decked out with LX and XT components. I had planned on getting a 97 Red Schwinn S-20 though, the only reason I bought the Scott was because it was orig. $1099.00 and it was actually marked down to $599! I couldn't pass it up, it ended up actually being a fantastic bike!

That S-20 would have changed your mind, I know.
    I've never ridden a better bike, still, even after the Ellsworth Distance I now have.
    My '96 S-20 was stolen from my basement.
    I miss it like a pet dog.

You're probably right abou tthe S-20

I think you might be right abou that, I was in love with it and didn't like passing it up! I am beginning to start a vintage collection of older schwinns as we speak though, now that I am entering my mid twenties. I recently acquired a 97 Schwinn Homegrown LXT in mint condition, with all stock componentry. The frame is red, and this would also be in addition to my regular bike, a completely custom bike with the frame being a 00 Homegrown hardtail..
    Always recognize that human individuals are ends, and do not use them as means to your end.
    -Kant

mtbr member
    This is my ex.

Mammoth SunRims
    AD10 rear shock
    Rock Shox Judy 100 front.
    AVID 10 brakes.

She was a sweety.

Nice picture

Looks just like I was imagining, a real specimen there. It looks like you gave it much love!
    Always recognize that human individuals are ends, and do not use them as means to your end.
    -Kant

mtbr member
    You know, the coolest thing about that bike was how the suspension changed from in the saddle to out. Sitting on it, it was like a Cadillac, but when you got on the pedals, it was like standing on a flat 2" X 12" board flat with a horse under each end, which made preload for bunny hops way easy. Like a trampoline. And, like I said, when you sat on it it was solid. No bob at all. When it was stolen I was just about to put discs on it. My Ellsworth (check my profile) isn't even half the bike the S-20 was, and still cost $600 more. But the MAVIC CrossMaxx wheels are really nice, and the hubs are awesome.

There was one thing I didn't like about the Schwinn. They put the cable routing under the down tube with the ends at the position where the front wheel threw everything into the open end of the housing that swung down under the pivot point. So grime would settle in the housing and jam the front and real derailleur cables, making the shifting action stop all together. So I ran housing from front to rear, making it look totally Huffy. Worked like a champ, and I never ever had to clean the cables. That bike saw some very cool places.

BTW, love your MESA. That red is sweet.
    Last edited by kellyjdrummer; 05-28-2008 at 06:43 AM.

Hope Thanks bud!

Sounds like the S-20 would have had many great years to come had it not been taken out from under you, there are some slimey people in this world! I have been watching some auctions on ebay recently, and there was a mint 97 S-10 I watched sell for about $350.00. Not to mention a few nice looking S-20's! I will link you to them if you want to check them out.

S-20
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=020
    S-20
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=015
    S-10
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=005
    S-10
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=020
    S-10
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=009

By the way, thanks for your comments, I'm glad you like it! I like to think of it as a one of a kind Mesa GSX. I bought the bike from a good friend, he sold it to me cheap. Then long story short, I replaced nearly everything with lightly used and brand new parts. I maintained the 8 speed tranny by searching carefully for parts. I even bought a lightly used set of XT rapidfire/V brake levers for it! I suppose one doesn't often see a vintage late 90's mesa with XTR V brakes though!

In about a week, this bike will look the same except the frame is getting swapped out for a 2000 Homegrown frame I bought a couple months ago. I actually hand stripped the entire frame, to the degree of anal retentiveness, and then pain-stakingly painted it matte black, of course applying many coats of flat clear coat to it. The end result looks beautiful!! Stay tuned to see my plans to recreate the frame decals exactly as it would have been on the 97 homegrown!

-Kant

mtbr member
    Sounds like fun. Be sure to show it of here when you finish.

I wish I could still work on my bike. The scum stole all of my tools as well. $1400 worth. The bike was in the $2800 range after all of my mods and replacements. I claimed $4000 on the house insurance claim. Ended up paying $800 for the Ellsworth that I bought to replace it, after everything was done. I turned in the claim, they sent a check for $4k, I bought the Ellsworth for $2960, custom built, sent the receipt to State farm, they sent another check for $1100. Go figure.

The bike and tools only, hmmm.....think I somehow know the person? I wish I could figure out who it was.

That second ebay S-20 was just before they changed the 'sweet spot' pivot (as they called it) to the larger bottom bracket shell. My first full susser. I had the after '96 model. I think they changed in the year, not at the start of '97. Not really sure, but I think it was mid year they went bigger. it's actually a single piece crank bb shell. Like on the old Continentals. Had one of those, too. '74 model. Just before Taiwan manufacturers. Another great frame. I had the full size frame. 11" steer tube. Damn. My seat post stuck out of the frame less than an inch, and I'm 5' 11". Heavy as a truck.

Bonking ... not feelin' well

That really must have bit the big one having all those things taken from you like that, sometimes money isn't the only thing that hurts, if you know what I mean!

I will keep you guys all up to date on the latest happenings in my garage.

Should be taking delivery today of my other bike I bought from an individual from Ft. Collins, CO. It is the other red 97 HG HT I mentioned previously, so that will also be an exciting event for me.
    -Kant

mtbr member
    hhmm... the Straight6/8 downhill rigs to this day still get big props on the ski mountains as one of the best designs ever made. i get complements all the time with my '01 straight8 at the mountain. i miss the '98 4banger i had and my '00 Homegrown is kicking azz!! i've seen stickers before on full suspension walmart/target bikes saying " NOT MADE FOR OFF ROAD USE" i couldn't help but laugh when i saw that for the first time let alone on a full suspension platform.

2001 straight 8... 7 years old and still kicking ass!!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    '00 Homegrown

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    Sad to see how far they've fallen. I've got a hardtail from 95 (the S95.1 series) that had the assymetric chain stays. It was a sweet bike. Came with the new (at the time) 8-speed Shimano XT and a RockShox Mag-21. I ride it occasionally but tend to baby it. I don't think I can replace the rear derailleur hanger if I rip if off again.

no worries there... it's a very common style... can get it from a few places online and i'd be supprised if not at your LBS...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My very first mtn bike was a Schwinn around 1994. Schwinn Sierra???? Not sure that was the name, but it was a sweet bike. Wish I had kept it. And the 10 speed Le Tour I got in the 80's was also a very sweet bike.
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein