Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hmmmmm

A New Low for Schwinn?

I didn't think I'd see anything worse, than what I've been seeing with the Schwinn name on it, for the last few years and then I walked into Costco yesterday.

Complete total POS. I do believe the Motive bikes were a hand above these, if thats even possible.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    old news

squish is good
    I haven't seen a decent Schwinn in years... the brand is ded, yes d-e-d, dead.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    They have some very decent road bikes, but it seems they are giving up on mountain biking.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Considering schwinn, mongoose and gt are all owned by Pacific Cycles which is itself owned by a canadian investment group called Durel, they can afford to focus the lines in different areas.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I haven't seen a decent Schwinn in years... the brand is ded, yes d-e-d, dead.
    Pretty sad awwright. When I was a kid, Schwinn made the best bikes to be had. I went through a couple Sting Rays and then moved into a 10sp Continental when I got a little older.

Back then there was Schwinn...and all those inferior bike brands.

mtbr member
    I'm with Ricko. When I was a kid, there was no better bike for kids to own outside of a Schwinn.

I was a wheelie king and the Sting Ray had the best geometry for such, as well as gear ratio.

When I got older, I bought a full size Continental. heavy as a truck, but a great bike. I never measured the seat tube, but I DO know the steer tube was a full 12." 'Tallest bike I've ever ridden, and I'm 5'11".
    What's the big deal? It's only a thing.

Hmmmmm
    I've know for some time that Schwinn's name was ruined, but these bikes were by far the worst I have ever seen with their name on it.

Peace and Long Rides...

banned
    What's sad was a year or two before their complete downfall, they made some phenomenal hardtails. Once in a while I see someone riding the trails with one of these frames and I'm still in lust.

Luckily Yeti made it out of that group just in time. They are VERY lucky.

mtbr member
    I bought a 19" S-20 back in '96 I think, maybe '97. The first year they used the bigger bottom bracket shell for the 'sweet spot' (frame pivot.) It was a sweet bike, till someone came into my basement and stole it two years ago along with $1200 worth of bike and mech tools. I really miss that rig.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyjdrummer
    I bought a 19" S-20 back in '96 I think, maybe '97. The first year they used the bigger bottom bracket shell for the 'sweet spot' (frame pivot.) It was a sweet bike, till someone came into my basement and stole it two years ago along with $1200 worth of bike and mech tools. I really miss that rig.
    Yep I remember that bike. The 1997 year was the pinnacle year for schwinn in mountain biking. That was the year they had the market by the tail. The sweet spot pivot was reguarded as the best suspension design of that year. From that point on they just went down hill and I dont mean an actual downhill run.

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Yep I remember that bike. The 1997 year was the pinnacle year for schwinn in mountain biking. That was the year they had the market by the tail. The sweet spot pivot was reguarded as the best suspension design of that year. From that point on they just went down hill and I dont mean an actual downhill run.
    It seems to me, that the bike you guys are talking about was really great and just needed some minor tweaking. I keep thinking it just needed more room around the seat and chain stays for bigger tires and more mud clearance. Other than that, it was great, but it was like Schwinn just gave up and died.

Was that the Rocket 88?

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    It was nice. The suspension changed immediately when you came out of the saddle. It was like a bike with two frames.
    Sitting was like a Cadillac. When you stand, it's like a long 2 x 6 and you are in the middle. Bunny hops are no problem. I had a cane Creek AD-10 in the tail and a Judy in the front.
    RACEFACE Turbine crank set and Avid 10 brakes. I think I had Sun Mammoth rims. They were fat. MTB Velociraptor skins.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyjdrummer
    It was nice. The suspension changed immediately when you came out of the saddle. It was like a bike with two frames.
    Sitting was like a Cadillac. When you stand, it's like a long 2 x 6 and you are in the middle. Bunny hops are no problem. I had a cane Creek AD-10 in the tail and a Judy in the front.
    My brother has a 1996 Catamount that has the same design. He almost went for the Schwinn back then but opted for the Cat. He still rides that bike to this day and loves it. My sister and brother inlaw also built up two Cats that same year. They raced many XC races from 1996 - 2002 and did very well on them. They since have retired both bikes from racing. But still have them and pleasure ride them periodically.

mtbr member
    It had plenty of room, which is why I put the Mammoths on it. I was running 2.1 tires, and the rims gave me even more width. There was nothing wrong with the design aside from running open cables on the tire side of the down tube. The front tire would dump into the cable casings, so I ran solid casings all the way from front to back. Lots of zip ties, and it looked like a Murray, but it got me up and down the hill.

mtbr member
    I rode mine for 8 years, and owned two other rigs at different times, but kept the S-20.

Hmmmmm
    I went and looked up older Schwinns, I thought you guys were talking about the Rocket 88, but you must be talking about the S-10s.
    They really ragged on URT bikes, but I think they, like all good designs,still have a place.

Peace and Long Rides...

man the ramparts!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    What's sad was a year or two before their complete downfall, they made some phenomenal hardtails. Once in a while I see someone riding the trails with one of these frames and I'm still in lust.

Luckily Yeti made it out of that group just in time. They are VERY lucky.
    Yup. The homegrown was one of my all-time favorite bikes. Loved that bass boat blue paint scheme.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Schwinn has their Walmart line, and a line they call "Select series". The mongoose Teocali is a pretty good bike, and the new Schwinn Rocket is based on a similar frame. It uses a version of Mongooses Freedrive system, called the "Isodrive". Both of these company's make a lot of junk for the low end masses, but they also make a better line of bikes. They will probably never get past the stigma of the low end junk. That can work in your favor. I picked up a new Rocket frame last year. It turned out to be well made, clean welds on 7005 aluminum, sealed cartridge bearings at all pivots , a pretty decent frame. And cheap.The suspension really works to eliminate pedal induced bob. I run it as a SS, and it climbs about as well as my hardtails.

mtbr member
    Sad to see how far they've fallen. I've got a hardtail from 95 (the S95.1 series) that had the assymetric chain stays. It was a sweet bike. Came with the new (at the time) 8-speed Shimano XT and a RockShox Mag-21. I ride it occasionally but tend to baby it. I don't think I can replace the rear derailleur hanger if I rip if off again.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

-eddie.

schwinn homegrown

they really have gone downhill, i have a 99 schwinn homegrown; one of the yeti builds. I went biking the other day and a guy said, "hey man your not going to make it on a schwinn."
    i said dont worry guy this bike is from before they were ****. lol.

mtbr member

not sure.

Ok, i gotta weigh in on this topic:

i agree, it sucks that schwinn GT and mongoose all got bought out by pacific, and that thier name is on a few huffy quality bikes. HOWEVER! and thats a big however, that doesnt mean that ALL of the bikes made under the pacific umbrella are awefull bikes. I've seen the difference in quality just between a dept. store bike that costs 150, and 250 bucks. Now i have to say that from here on out, I'll only be talking about frame quality unless i mention otherwise, since that is all that pacific actually manufactures. the 100 dollar difference in the frames at target, walmart, sears, etc. is fairly large. everything from junk steel tubing (trail tuned!) to the welds on the steel junk frames on the sub 200 dollar bikes will show you that you are indeed looking at a dept. store bike. but, then you look at some of the close to, and over 200 dollar bikes, and you start to see 6061 heat treated frames, and 7005 al frames. the welds are very nice (and by the way, i am a certified welder, in both MIG and TIG processes, on steel, stainless steel and aluminum, and i built roll cages for over a year so... i know my stuff) they are handmade frames, and they are actually fabricated very nicely for being so cheap. It seems to me that the quality of frame you get on a 250 dollar el cheapo schwinn is right along side what you'd have gotten out of a 2002 model frame. the reason they are 250 bucks is that you get a suspension fork that is completly useless, doesnt even have a preload adjustment. bottom of the barrel driveline components, crummy headsets, and bottom brakets, a junk rear shock (on the full suspension models) which only allows preload and doesnt even HAVE ANY rebound adjustment. You get a pretty nice frame, with the crappiest componentry you can imagine. add to that a pimply faced teen working part time who just got the job of putting the bikes together shoved in his lap, and you have a REALLY bad scenario, poorly adjusted terrible quality derailuers... loose, or overtightened headsets, and bottom brakets, chains too short, chains too long..... the list is endless.
    for the vast majority of people, if you plan on riding your bike a few times through the summer months, dont spend 400 bucks, buy the 200 dollar target bike and enjoy your few rides.... for those of us who use and abuse our bikes as often as possible, its typically not worth it, there are a few exceptions to this rule, but yea, buying used is a better plan than buying dept. store bikes. for my long winded post, the point I'm trying to make is, just because pacific ownes these companies, doesnt mean that they are nessicarily making junk. the build quality of the nicer schwinn frames (LBS worthy) are certainly not on par with the hey-day homegrowns and such, but they arent junk. and neither are the "higher end" dept. store frames.

I mentioned a few other times that i bought a schwinn S60 DSX from target. look up the pics of that bike, then look at an 02 mesa DSX..... basically the same frame, just totally different components.
    -kevin

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It looks like Pacific focuses Schwinn to the road rider, where they let GT do the mountain bike thing, while Mongoose is the extreme use bike now. As far as Schwinn goes The Peloton and Fastback are pretty cool and are priced better than a lot of other bikes.
    Shimano and Sram have parts on bikes that are sold in mass, does that mean we shouldn't use those parts? besides, let's not be haters out there, your super cool s-works or your trek was built in the same factory as that "lowly" Schwinn.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I still have my bright blue '99 Moab 2 Aluminum frame, which I stripped to build up a '00Homegrown S-Carbon Sweetspot bike. I'm still using that bike to this day, having put on new wheels, a rear disc conversion, and other fun stuff. I still love the bike - the URT suits me just fine. I don't do freeride or downhill, and for XC/all-mountain that I do, it's great.

I bought my Schwinn after my cousin recommended them back in '98, saying "check them out - they're better than you think." Good components for the money, and to my eyes some of the best-looking bikes on the market. It's sad that they went by the wayside as they have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Back in the mid 90s, the wife and I used to ride a couple of Schwinns. I had (have) a High Plains and she had a Mesa. Then one day she crashed and that was the end of our bike rides.
    Now the wife is history but I still have my High Plains. It probably only has around 300 miles or so on it (she has MANY more). I recently had it checked out and it was declared fit for a Clydesdale (me). It is used as a backup to my Trek 820.
    What is the opinion here of the High Plains?

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast