mtbr member
    Oct 2009

New here. Don't hurt me!

I just signed up for these forums because I've recently gotten re-interested in riding. I don't have a lot of money, so I wasn't able to purchase a very nice bike by you guys's standards. I spent $200 on a Schwinn Aluminim Comp from, you guessed it, Wal-Mart. I put it together myself, substituting a few components for some better upgrades. I don't ride a lot of trails considering I live in the city of Richmond, but my parents live in a small country town about an hour away and I visit often. There are a few trails there that I lan to check out soon. I actually enjoy the feel of a mountain bike as opposed to a road bike anyway, so that is why I made this purchase instead of something desigined specifically for the streets.

Basically I just wanted to post here and say hello, I'm going to continue to lurk around the forums and try to learn as much as I can. I'm planning on purchasing a better bike in a year or so, but for now this one suits me perfect. Anyone out there have any suggestions for upgrades on this particular bike that aren't incredibly expensive, but effective? Thank you all.

ChiliPepper1
    No worries bro, its all about having fun, not what you ride!

Nice bike bro for a department store bike and it should make a great ride for you, especially for what what kind of riding you mentioned. If any thing would need to be upgraded, it would definitely need to be the forks, but if you plan on getting a better bike soon, then no worries. Schwinn's are tough bikes and last a while but you will have to maintain the drive train to keep it in tune, not the greatest components. You can get a brand new Specialized Hardrock for under $600 BTW. Check it out:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9253

Anyways, good luck in your new riding adventure.

Keep it real and ride hard!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

My $0.02

Similar advice:
    Ride it until it breaks. The best thing you could do is ride this one until you figure out what things you like/don't like and use that knowledge when you upgrade.

Personally, I wouldn't put much $ into that bike. If you ride trails, you might consider a set of tires suited to your area - ask a local bike shop, or bike rider what works in your area. If $ is tight - buy a nice used hardtail when you can afford it.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

CTB
    mtbr member
    Hello, Wizill, and welcome! I think you've gotten great advice so far. You've done the most important thing - you've gotten a bike and you're riding it. The guys above said it very well - just ride what you have, learn what you can, and you'll figure out what things you think should be upgraded. There is no point in spending any money until you gain that type of knowledge. Debaucherous' suggestion on the tires, however, is excellent. You don't need expensive Schwables, but having a size and tread that suits your area/riding is a good thing. Some good stuff can be had for $19/tire, and if that is still too much, don't worry. You can get something that works for less.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I appreciate the warm welcome and the advice. I'll be sure to keep it in mind. There are quite a few bike shops here in the city, so I'll probably visit a few this weekend and see if I can meet any friendly people that are willing to teach me a few things. Once again, thanks for the responses. I'll be sure to check back this evening and possibly visit some other threads to see what kind of things you guys like to talk about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

ahhh.

[SIZE="3"]I cannot stress to you all how much better I feel after a solid week of daily riding. I've covered over 40 miles (according to my awesome little speedometer/odometer), which is a lot considering I don't have a lot of time to ride. My legs feel so much better, my upper body feels stronger, and I just have more energy. I can't believe it took me this long to get back into riding a bike. Growing up sure is a pain, eh? Between college, work, and everything else I've got going on, it's a beautiful way to just release stress![/SIZE]

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizill
    [SIZE="3"]I cannot stress to you all how much better I feel after a solid week of daily riding. I've covered over 40 miles (according to my awesome little speedometer/odometer), which is a lot considering I don't have a lot of time to ride. My legs feel so much better, my upper body feels stronger, and I just have more energy. I can't believe it took me this long to get back into riding a bike. Growing up sure is a pain, eh? Between college, work, and everything else I've got going on, it's a beautiful way to just release stress![/SIZE]
    Oh yeah bro!! Thats why I am heading out this evening, My bike has been down for two weeks since coiming back from Santos, but I finally got it fixed and it is ready to fly today.

mtbr member
    I have been riding a schwinn target frame s-60 dsx... A single pivot full suspension frame that I spent about twice the cost of the bike upgrading over about two years. I rode it in the massanutten super D twice, and even the XC race the following day this past year.
    I realized after the fact that it would have been smarter to buy sethimg nicer used, but I was impatient and wanted to riding again, same as you. Now, after upgrading nearly every single component on the bike, my wife was wonderful enough to allow me to track down a good deal on a used frame as a birthday present. My 2008 momgoose khyber frame should arrive tomorrow via fedex! Most of my parts will swap over to the new frame. However not all of them. So upgrading what you have is not a bad idea at all, as long as they are things you can take to a new bike... Drivetrain upgrades are a good idea, as it was mentioned, the drivetrain components on Wally world bikes are prettly hard to keep in good adjustment. But the number one thing after tires (very good advice btw) is a seat... A good comfortable seat can be kinda pricey, especially compared to the cost of your bike... Also clipless pedals and shoes are something you can always take to a new bike, and are really worthwhile. Just think ahead to your next bike when thnking of upgrades.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Iridethedirt
    I have been riding a schwinn target frame s-60 dsx... A single pivot full suspension frame that I spent about twice the cost of the bike upgrading over about two years. I rode it in the massanutten super D twice, and even the XC race the following day this past year.
    I realized after the fact that it would have been smarter to buy sethimg nicer used, but I was impatient and wanted to riding again, same as you. Now, after upgrading nearly every single component on the bike, my wife was wonderful enough to allow me to track down a good deal on a used frame as a birthday present. My 2008 momgoose khyber frame should arrive tomorrow via fedex! Most of my parts will swap over to the new frame. However not all of them. So upgrading what you have is not a bad idea at all, as long as they are things you can take to a new bike... Drivetrain upgrades are a good idea, as it was mentioned, the drivetrain components on Wally world bikes are prettly hard to keep in good adjustment. But the number one thing after tires (very good advice btw) is a seat... A good comfortable seat can be kinda pricey, especially compared to the cost of your bike... Also clipless pedals and shoes are something you can always take to a new bike, and are really worthwhile. Just think ahead to your next bike when thnking of upgrades.
    I think something like this is neat. Do you have any pics of the bike? I would like to see an article if there is one out there where someone takes a walmart/dept. store bike and upgrades it and puts it up against something from the LBS.