Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008

My Super is being shipped!

Went to a local performance dealer looking to upgrade my specialized hardrock because too much stuff crapped out and I wanted an upgrade to something more serious. Was looking for an iron horse mkIII but they had none in my size and long story short, the teocali super and I kinda had a love connection going on. So now it is being shipped to the store and I should *hopefully* get it before the weekend! This will be my first full suspension bike and I'm pretty stoked about it.

Anyone care to share their love stories with their teocali super? I heard something about the bearings not being weather sealed or something, is this true or am I misreading something? Also how do I "dial in" my suspension to my weight and all that. I read about how once things are tuned properly it works beautifully. Will the bike/shock/fork come with instructions on how to set the pressures correctly or am I supposed to figure that out on my own? Is there anything I should make sure to do to make this bike last a while, maintenance wise?

I'm surprised at how low on the totem pole mongoose seems to fall. Seems like the bike is a great choice for the price. Performance already has them a bit lower than MSRP and I had a 20% coupon on top of that so I think I got a heak of a deal! So stoked, can't wait, it's killin me!!!

STINKY TOFU
    I've got an 07 comp that I love. I just picked up a set of XO shifters and rear mech for it.
    "I'd pee on that"
    -R. Kelly-

achiever
    After you ride a few times I strongly recommend you remove all the bolts on the different pivots and lube the bearings. ESPECIALLY ON THE BOTTOM LINKAGE BEHIND THE BOTTOM BRACKET. You will appreciate this a year down the road when you don't have to replace seized bearings. The seals are crap so do this stuff often.

For suspension set up check your sag settings. Should be around 25% - 30% of total travel. I like a fast rebound so my rebounds settings are wide open.

Enjoy!

Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008
    Is this typical to most FS bikes or a downside to the Mongoose line in terms of their pivots/bearing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a 2008 Teocali Super and absolutely love it. So far I've got only a couple hundred miles on it but I'm really really happy with it. I ended up getting mine for $1700 shipped, and it comes with full 2008 XT.

The one problem I've had with it (no fault of Mongoose) is the fork it came with, which I've had two problems with it. I just sent it out to Marzochi for repair. Marzochi's tech reps have been excellent btw.

So solid buy and excellent value, you'll love it.

OH and about low on the totem pole -let people buy $3K + bikes, people who buy the Mongoose will know that they got a killer value in an excellent bike and still have money left over for savings/travel/gas, etc.

Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by helexia23
    I have a 2008 Teocali Super and absolutely love it. So far I've got only a couple hundred miles on it but I'm really really happy with it. I ended up getting mine for $1700 shipped, and it comes with full 2008 XT.

The one problem I've had with it (no fault of Mongoose) is the fork it came with, which I've had two problems with it. I just sent it out to Marzochi for repair. Marzochi's tech reps have been excellent btw.

OH and about low on the totem pole -let people buy $3K + bikes, people who buy the Mongoose will know that they got a killer value in an excellent bike and still have money left over for savings/travel/gas, etc.
    Glad you've had good experiences with yours, I just picked mine up today! I'm pretty stoked, I love it so far, I'll post again after some more rides. This bike is a KILLER deal! Mine ended up being $1575 after a nice coupon deal with full XT as well. It came with clip in pedals though and I'm having trouble taking them off to put my crank bros platforms on. About to go into bliss mode and read the manuals for all this stuff to set up the suspension. Can cutting the seat post a few inches void any warrenties or anything?

Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008
    Also, is it supposed to come with a shock/fork pump?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by calikid22
    Glad you've had good experiences with yours, I just picked mine up today! I'm pretty stoked, I love it so far, I'll post again after some more rides. This bike is a KILLER deal! Mine ended up being $1575 after a nice coupon deal with full XT as well. It came with clip in pedals though and I'm having trouble taking them off to put my crank bros platforms on. About to go into bliss mode and read the manuals for all this stuff to set up the suspension. Can cutting the seat post a few inches void any warrenties or anything?
    I would doubt cutting the seat post would void the warranty, but if you later found out it did just buy a new seat post before you return the bike for repair. As for the pedals the only advice I can give (which I'm sure you know) is to make sure you're turning them the correct way... http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=83

A couple other things to note, it has a lower bottom bracket height than I was used to so I had to adjust my riding style a little to compensate. No big deal just something to be aware of. I replaced my big ring right away with a Race Face guard and now I have no worries. Aso the paint on the frame scratches pretty easily.

The bike does not come with a shock pump but you'll need one. I have a Marzocchi one and it works great. On the rear RP23 I normally keep it on the "pro pedal #1" setting and find the best results.

Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008
    I would doubt cutting the seat post would void the warranty, but if you later found out it did just buy a new seat post before you return the bike for repair. As for the pedals the only advice I can give (which I'm sure you know) is to make sure you're turning them the correct way... http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=83

A couple other things to note, it has a lower bottom bracket height than I was used to so I had to adjust my riding style a little to compensate. No big deal just something to be aware of. I replaced my big ring right away with a Race Face guard and now I have no worries. Aso the paint on the frame scratches pretty easily.

The bike does not come with a shock pump but you'll need one. I have a Marzocchi one and it works great. On the rear RP23 I normally keep it on the "pro pedal #1" setting and find the best results.
    Ya I was dumb and forgot about the reverse threading on one side. Will the marzoxxhi shock pump work on the fox as well? Not sure if brands are THAT selective and require their own pump.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ya I was dumb and forgot about the reverse threading on one side. Will the marzoxxhi shock pump work on the fox as well? Not sure if brands are THAT selective and require their own pump.
    Cool glad you got them off. Yes the one pump will work fine on both shocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey speaking of warranty... what is the warranty on this bike? I don't even know and I couldn't find any information on Mongoose's website.

Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008
    I'm not sure, I just assume if something is broke by defect I can take it to Performance to get fixed, same if there is any frame defect. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee so they should cover a lot as long as you don't break it I assume.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm not sure, I just assume if something is broke by defect I can take it to Performance to get fixed, same if there is any frame defect. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee so they should cover a lot as long as you don't break it I assume.
    How is your front fork performing? I guess it may be too early for you to tell. But I was just wondering if you were seeing the full amount of travel with it.

Its supposed to come with the Marzocchi XC 600 with 140mm travel. And they make two versions of that fork; 130mm and 140mm. Mine was getting like 100mm and ended up having a couple issues. Marzocchi has been great though, and I'm hoping to get the fork back quick.

Recreational Terrorist
    Went to a local performance dealer looking to upgrade my specialized hardrock because too much stuff crapped out and I wanted an upgrade to something more serious. Was looking for an iron horse mkIII but they had none in my size and long story short, the teocali super and I kinda had a love connection going on. So now it is being shipped to the store and I should *hopefully* get it before the weekend! This will be my first full suspension bike and I'm pretty stoked about it.

Anyone care to share their love stories with their teocali super? I heard something about the bearings not being weather sealed or something, is this true or am I misreading something? Also how do I "dial in" my suspension to my weight and all that. I read about how once things are tuned properly it works beautifully. Will the bike/shock/fork come with instructions on how to set the pressures correctly or am I supposed to figure that out on my own? Is there anything I should make sure to do to make this bike last a while, maintenance wise?

I'm surprised at how low on the totem pole mongoose seems to fall. Seems like the bike is a great choice for the price. Performance already has them a bit lower than MSRP and I had a 20% coupon on top of that so I think I got a heak of a deal! So stoked, can't wait, it's killin me!!!

I've been riding mine for a few weeks now. No problems whatsoever. It's an excellent bike. I'll be racing the AM category at the Downieville Classic on this rig this summer.

In the foreseeable future I will be changing out the front forks to a pike 454 or lyrik.

Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTreeHugger
    I've been riding mine for a few weeks now. No problems whatsoever. It's an excellent bike. I'll be racing the AM category at the Downieville Classic on this rig this summer.

In the foreseeable future I will be changing out the front forks to a pike 454 or lyrik.
    Good to hear, I love this bike. Going from a POS hard tail to this has made me love biking that much more. I was out all the time even with stuff broke on the hardrock, now I can't seem to find enough time with finals getting closer, work, and the gf hah. I can't wait to try downieville on this bike, I bet it's a blast. Do you guys usually keep your fork at the 140mm? When would you guys find it appropriate to shrink the travel? When the majority of the trail is up instead of down?

Recreational Terrorist
    Good to hear, I love this bike. Going from a POS hard tail to this has made me love biking that much more. I was out all the time even with stuff broke on the hardrock, now I can't seem to find enough time with finals getting closer, work, and the gf hah. I can't wait to try downieville on this bike, I bet it's a blast. Do you guys usually keep your fork at the 140mm? When would you guys find it appropriate to shrink the travel? When the majority of the trail is up instead of down?
    I climb with the fork set in the 140mm setting most of the time. The lockout on the fork is great for climbing out of the saddle. I keep the RP23's propedal set at 1 for long climbs, but it's not really necessary most of the time because of the suspension design.

Trail riding in the bay area involves a lot of climbing. I find that I climb better on this bike than my hardtail. It grips better.

achiever
    I think a Lyric might be a bit much for a Teo. probably more suitable for the Khyber. I just put a Pike 426 on my 06 Elite and it's killer. I also went to a 60mm stem (I'm real short) and that combo is sweet for me. My pike has no travel adjust so I skootch up on the saddle and crouch low to keep the weight where it needs to be when I'm climbing.

achiever
    And don't forget to lube your pivot bearings.

DO IT NOW BEFORE YOU BLOW IT OFF AND DESTROY THEM LIKE I DID!

Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008
    I'm kind of retarded when it comes to mechanical things so forgive me. should I just let the bike sit on its side and drip some lube onto it and let it soak in and around? I picked up some Dumonde Tech lube which the shop said was good. OR do you need to take the bearings out? Did they not come lubed well enough from the factory...?

What PSI do you have your rp23 at? I set mine today to 160 and I weight around 170 with pack give or take a few.

My butt loves FS by the way. =]

achiever
    In order to remove the link you're going to have to remove the crank which will require special tools. Have someone who knows what they're doing. When you get the crank out, remove the bolts holding the link on and et the swingarm drop towards the floor. Clean out the old grease with a rag then get the rest out with a solvent of some kind like Brakekleen (this is nasty stuff so don't get it in you're eyes and you may want to wear rubber gloves) Wipe away any left over Brakekleen and let the part sit a few minutes and the rest of the solvent will evaporate. Now it's time to stick that grease into the bearings in the link. You want to use a little at first and work it into the rollers on all the bearings. Once they're lubed and smooth I put a big glob on all of them. Put everything back together and ride.

I know this sounds overwhelming but it isn't. The most difficult part will be removing the crank.

Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008
    How is your front fork performing? I guess it may be too early for you to tell. But I was just wondering if you were seeing the full amount of travel with it.

Its supposed to come with the Marzocchi XC 600 with 140mm travel. And they make two versions of that fork; 130mm and 140mm. Mine was getting like 100mm and ended up having a couple issues. Marzocchi has been great though, and I'm hoping to get the fork back quick.
    After my ride I noticed that I wasn't utilizing the full amount of travel either. Is this similar to what your fork was doing? I measured it based off the dirt/clean part of it and it looks like it would extend 4 in. but that leaves 1.6in wasted. It was set around 115 PSI if that means anything.

Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008
    Do you guys hit your pedals on rocks and things on the ground often? The pedal seems like it sits lower than my other bike and I have to be really careful. Already been bucked off twice by my foot and pedal hitting something on the ground and throwing me forward on the bike, fun stuff. =]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It definitely sits lower than my other bike. At first it was very weird but I got used to it fast. Keeping it on "Pro Pedal #1" on the RP23 helps a lot.

mtbr member

What the! Where are you buying your bikes from? I spent over 23 grand on a 07 teocali super with mid grade parts.

STINKY TOFU
    I really hope you meant 2 grand and not 23
    "I'd pee on that"
    -R. Kelly-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast