Thread: my new goose!

the goose is loose!

... and if we just ... my new goose!

after it's first ride:

man, this is really a nice bike. and that roco air is amazing. i can't believe how good it feels. it's so coil-like.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Nice! Always fun to try out some new gear. What do you mean by "it's so coil-like?" I've just acquired my first bike with air shock/fork, but I haven't ridden it yet (still getting it into shape). I *think* I'll prefer coil-n-oil like my old bike, but I'm curious about your statement.

the goose is loose!
    i had a fox float shock, and it had a sticky beginneing stroke, then blew through most od the travel and ramped up at the end. to put it lightly, it sucked (may have been my valving though).the roco air feels like a coil shock. i pumped up the boost chamber to about 190 and it has such a linear feel now with a a very well-supported mid stroke and a nice smooth ramp at the end of the stroke. it blows the Float away in every way

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rm_racer
    after it's first ride:

man, this is really a nice bike. and that roco air is amazing. i can't believe how good it feels. it's so coil-like.

Wow! That is a beautiful bike you got there, what year and model is it? i just ordered the 2006
    Mongoose Pro Wing Elite for $358.00 i should receive it on tuesday i hope is a good bike as well.

Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008
    Sexy bike, if I didn't have my 08 teocali super I would have considered it. How do you like the fork? I was thinking about selling my xc600 bomber one for what you have.

the goose is loose!
    the fork is pretty impressive. it's my first air-sprung fork, and it's really nice. it's very simple to set up and the front end feels pretty light. right off the bat it's pretty sensitive and doesn't have much stiction and the more i ride it the better it gets. it's very smooth and linear with a very smooth ramp up at the end of the travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I would be careful with that fork. i just bought that same bike and the fork blew out on the third ride. i guess Marzocchi is having a lot of problems with their 08 models. i got a new one for free though, thanks Marzocchi!

the goose is loose!
    i'll keep that in mind. thanks. i hope i don't have problems with it, but my friend had his '08 888 ata air cartridge blow up so...we'll see.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    How are you liking your bike so far? I just recieved my mongoose khyber elite yesterday for an awesome deal! ... so far i am happy with the feel of the bike it feels so much lighter compared to my old p3 and i can actually bunny hop and lift the front up more than my 13kg reign which had much thinner handlebars too!

Cant wait to take it out on the trail

the goose is loose!
    it's still awesome. i haven't had any problems at all. i did take the suspension apart after a few weeks at Northstar and Mammoth (it performed amzingly, by the way) and it was perfect. just got rid of the dust around the pivots and bolted it back together.

no roblems with the suspension except i had to bleed some excess oil from the TST cartridge in the fork. it's a closed cartridge and had a bit too much oil so i only got about 3/4 travel out of it.

i had a lot of people asking me about my bike at the parks. i haven't ridden it in about a month and a half since i've been at college, but i'm going home to pick it up in 2 weeks. i can't live without my bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sounds awesome! Yeah i have been reading about the 55tst2 issues but it seems like something that is relatively simple to do. I might start a thread and post pics of my impression once i get some rides on it

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    BTW does your roco air make a woosh woosh sound whenit compresses?

Spreadin the love...
    Nice man! I've been beating on the Super for a month or two now and LOVING it. So much more versatile than my previous ECD. And ditto on the Roco air. I really don't see any reason to EVER go back to a coil! Hell, if anything, I think the air feels MORE plush than the DHX 5.0 I had on the ECD, not to mention it's infinately adjustable.
    Here's mine with a heavy build. 40 pounds as it sits with the 2plys and Azonic Outlaw wheelset, With the single plys and some Rhynolites I can get it down to 35, which is funny cuz I don't ride it any nicer on the way down, just gets to the top a wee bit easier. Prob just gonna pop the Single ply Excavators on the Outlaws and make it the midway point...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    HAHAHA gonna jack his thread soon.

So i have been for two rides on my khyber and obiviously it is quite awesome. What surprised me most is the able capabilities in climbing. I had to constantly remind myself that i was riding a near 17kg 160mm travel bike as compared to my 10kg weight weenie cannondale rush. The only thin i felt too different is the initial acceleration and how up right i sit due to the fork length and also the slack geo of the frame which makes it harder to track on some small techy singletracks. Also the plushness of the rear shock also makes you become a little bit more of bashing pedals on rocks and what not. But overall nothing to complain about at all. As my friend said, grow some muscles.

On the way down though, damn ........ i am picking all the wrong lines just becuase i can. It is an awesome feeling, the freedom to take any line and the ability to chuck the bike around down rocky singletracks is awesome! It carves!

However i have a few questions. I have noticed although i am not doing any major drops and such that my oil mark on my stanchions is never ever bottomed out. Fair enough i am a light rider and i am not doing big drops but if thats the case, how would i know if my fork has done that lock thing everyone talks about?

I have also become quite conscious about the small hit capbilities of the front fork due to mostly what i have read here. I do feel that sometimes it is a little harsh but hey maybe i should just play with some pressure on the air preload side. Currently i have it at about 7psi which gives me a 25% sag when i am in attack mode. What do you guys have it sagging to? I heard something near 35% is more ideal for dh?

Cheers!

Card-carrying wotmeister
    What size is that? It looks really short.

Then again, my elite is monstrous....

the goose is loose!
    jdc5r:

yeah, my roco makes the swoosh sound when i compress it but i don't really notice it. as far as the fork thing goes, here is what i did to make sure i had the problem, and then what i did to fix it:

1: The Test remove the left-side fork cap (air pre-load side). compress the fork. if it doesn't go down all the way to the seals, then you probably have the aforementioned problem.

2: The Fix i haven't looked at my fork in a while, my bike is 3 hours away , so i may get something mixed up here. but, anyways, with the left-side cap unscrewed, pop off the TST lever and unscrew the TST-side fork cap. let the fork bottom out. the top cap is attached to the damper cartridge so it should be sticking up. wipe the oil off of the cartridge and grab an old tube. you're gonna use the old tube as a strap wrench (wrap it around the smooth part of the damper tube) as you get a crescent wrench to remove the top cap from the cartridge. once the top cap is removed, screw it on about a half turn so it catches the threads enough to not lose the damper tube inside the fork.
    now, here comes the bleeding part. since the top cap is only screwed on a hlaf turn, the o-ring on the top cap shouldn't be sealing. push the top cap down towards the fork crown and oil should start bleeding out. push it to the crown, let it sit for a couple minutes, pull the cap up, wipe off the oil from the damper tube and push the cap to the crown again. repeat this until you don't see that oil has dripped down the side of the damper tube. once this is done, you can pull the cap up all the way (damper at full extension) and then tighten it again. put the fork back together and you're done.

thrillseeker:

how do you like the totem fork on there? i'd kinda like a slacker head angle/higher front end on my bike so i was thinking about a 36 with a 1.5" steerer tube or a totem.