Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My New Black Diamond Triple

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  DEST 
#1 ·
So, after waiting and debating on which freeride bike to get going back and forth because i did not have a big budget for a new bike also because, i had just bought a new truck and the wife was not to happy about a new bike all i had was 2500 and i wanted good parts...
so i set my eye on the Mongoose Black diamond Triple set up a little differently than stock thanks to my local shop
large 2008 black diamond triple
2008 rockshox totem solo air
2008 Avid code brakes
2008 X-9 everything
gravity crank
e13 drs
raceface diablous stem
fun bars and pedals
sdg saddle
so i thought this was the best package that i could get for the 2500 i had to spend so i went for it.
so now i have 3 bikes in the stable....

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Jeez man... nice stable you've got for yourself, there. The IH is, obviously, my favorite.

I just did a similar build, and finally completed it, on my 7point. Totem Solo Air, Codes, X-9, Thomson post/stem, etc.

Looks like you've got yourself a really nice free-ride bike.

#4 ·
Jlar said:
Sweet. How much does she weigh and how does she ride compared to the IH or Cannondale??
it weighs on a home scale 38lbs
it rides great pedals very good no complaints i mean nothing rides better than my sunday but its a different bike different geo. i love the feeling of the sunday for dh i will be taking the goose to diablo to see how she performs but after taking it to sprain ridge it behaved great no complaints so far, feels much better that my prophet for freeridin but for lite trail riding my prophet is still the best choice... i only have two days so far on the goose and nothing but smiles so far!!!

#5 ·
finally got a chance to take the goose to diablo and in the begining i was not use to downhilling with a single crown fork but after two runs i felt right at home the goose kicked ass took it off most of the drops and it felt great..loved it mongoose did a great job with the black diamond it does it all great to hardcore trail riding and downhilling i love it and all that nosense that the bottom bracket move back with the swing arm is bogus i did'n't notice a thing in fact it feels great the freedrive system is a work of art....and i ridden and own alot of great bikes loved it....

#6 ·
Thinking about a black diamond triple. i'm on a 04 bullit with a 888 up front and a 5th element in the rear. I love it, but i can get a good deal on the goose. I read in one review that the rear end didnt seem to soak up small mogul style bumps, and felt more like 4"? Also, they mentioned it might be better for a cross country rider looking to get into free ride. So, just curious if you thought it might be as good a bike as the bullit, and if it would handle shuttle runs nicely.

I can also get a great deal on the EC-D, so thats an option, but not so pedal friendly.

thanks,

mark

#7 ·
markcjr said:
Thinking about a black diamond triple. i'm on a 04 bullit with a 888 up front and a 5th element in the rear. I love it, but i can get a good deal on the goose. I read in one review that the rear end didnt seem to soak up small mogul style bumps, and felt more like 4"? Also, they mentioned it might be better for a cross country rider looking to get into free ride. So, just curious if you thought it might be as good a bike as the bullit, and if it would handle shuttle runs nicely.

I can also get a great deal on the EC-D, so thats an option, but not so pedal friendly.

thanks,

mark
well you have a nice bike already..i have a friend who is a nut and takes his bullit off 20 foot drops and he has a 66 on it...i myself do not have any time on a bullit...
but the black diamond does not feel like it has 4'' travel in fact a thought it felt bottomless..
it's all on how you set up the shock..it could be that that person just didn't know how to set up the shock which happens alot...go with a lighter weight spring because the one that comes stock is a bit firm...
the black diamond will feel a little different because it comes with a single crown fork and will not feel like a triple crown...I took my goose this weekend to diablo and in the begining i was have a little trouble getting use to downhilling with a single crwn fork but after two rides it felt great...i take this bike everywhere and i can pedal it uphill also...i hate crosscountry and i bought this bike to make trail riding more interesting...myself got
I myself got a great deal on this bike thats why i got it and i love it so far...one thing you should do is test ride it and see what you think...
the ecd is a great full on downhill bike if that what your looking for then go for that but it sounds like you want something to take everywhere....
I all ready have about 8 rides on the goose and i love it so far...love the price cheaper than the other two bikes that i have ....

#8 ·
I just sold my BD3 to buy an ECD, and the "not so pedal friendly" part is nonsense. It's the exact same design, exact same efficiency. I will say that the ONLY thing I don't like about my ECD is the 64* headangle on tight, techy XC trails! Ha! I gotta go a bit faster and use the "rudder" a bit more or the front wheel gets pushed off cliff edges on tight switchbacks.
I've been pushing Mongoose on peeps for quite awhile now. People just don't realize how exceptional the bikes really are! The only advice I'm going to give you is: Don't listen to sh*t. Stop reading reviews and all that other crap. I was already intersted in a Mongoose and the reviews almost talked me out of it. When it comes to the Freedrive system there's just WAAAAY too much assumption and not enough ride time. Parking lot "Bounce Tests" will not cut it with a Mongoose.
And yes, "bottomless" would describe it very accurately. But that's not even accurate...there's more feedback(in a GOOD way) than the other bikes with the same amount of travel. Meaning immediate response and reaction.
It's like a technical climbing shoe versus a hiking boot.

#9 ·
Yeah, i just meant that using a EC-D for freeride seemed like it wouldn't be that easy, as i still pedal uphill a bit and the longer travel of the EC-D would make that more difficult.

I think i'll probably sell my Bullit and buy the Triple as i do mosty freeridey stuff.

thanks for the input guys.

#10 ·
Ok, so i'm going to get the triple, but i'm curious what size to get? I'm 6 ft and ride a size large bullit. Since they only make 3 sizes in this, i was thinking i'd go for the medium? Any input from people on there height and what size triple they're riding?

thanks,

mark

#11 ·
I'm 5'8" and had a small BD3. Too small. I'm now on a M/L EC-D and feel much more comfortable. It is a tad too large, but the S/M was WAY small. I'm holding out for the 09 Mongoose line then I'll prob get a medium DH.

The EC-D only has one more inch over the BD series. And with the Freedrive system, there is LITERALLY no bob. That's not like some gimmick to sell bikes, there just seriously isn't any bob. It was designed to sprint, and that it does! It did cost a little plushness through quick, rough, jittery sections,. but it takes two runs to get over that. It just skips over rather than lolly through.
So pedaling and travel aren't the problem. The problem I have, especially on techier XC trails, is that the friggin headangle is so damn slack that while I'm working my bars and rear tire around a tree or something, my front tire isn't where it should be...which is under me! It's always pushin through a corner or falling off the trail. Pain in the ass to keep in line. If I can't get my hands on an 09 Mongoose, then I'll prob try to pick up a BD3 and throw my boxxer on it.
Get it, you'll love it. Period.

#12 ·
markcjr said:
Ok, so i'm going to get the triple, but i'm curious what size to get? I'm 6 ft and ride a size large bullit. Since they only make 3 sizes in this, i was thinking i'd go for the medium? Any input from people on there height and what size triple they're riding?

thanks,

mark
I'm 6'1 and i got the large it fits me just right.. and i ridden a large bullit and that was fine also i would recommend looking at the geo on both and compare the difference and see where it's at if you want to go smaller than your bullit then get the meduim but if you want it to fit the same get the large...but first make sure...

#13 ·
thrillseeker said:
And with the Freedrive system, there is LITERALLY no bob. That's not like some gimmick to sell bikes, there just seriously isn't any bob. It was designed to sprint, and that it does! It did cost a little plushness through quick, rough, jittery sections,. but it takes two runs to get over that. It just skips over rather than lolly through.
I spoke with the guys at Mongoose and they claim that the sring rate that were put on the BD bikes were to stiff which for me actully was perfect because the large comes stock with a 450 spring and for my fat ass that was great it feels really plush... it looks like the freedrive just needs a softer spring rate.
on my sunday i run a 550 spring and its not over stiff at all..butter smooth....so i thought that for my BDB i was goona have to swap out springs...not at all the 450 is perfect.....

#14 ·
Thanks for the info guys....getting psyched to sell the bullit and try out the mongoose. Dest, how heavy are you? I'm 6' 185, probably 195 with my pack on, so i'm guessing the 450lb spring will be just right for me, as i'd say i'm a bit heavier than average?

Any of the bearing issues with the ovalizing with the 08' BD series, or was that addressed for these bikes. Was reading that it was a problem with the 06-07 models and made the rear ends loosen up a bit. Just curious if it's something i'll have to watch out for.
That's the one thing i've loved about my bullit and why i've kept it 3 years....nothing on it ever breaks. The 888 is bomb proof and Dee-Max rims have never gone out of true. Magura Gustavs are pretty sick brakes too, and i've never had to service those either... Great bike, just ready to try some new components etc.....

#15 ·
for your weight you might need a lighter spring i'm heavier than you i'm at 250 and to me the 450 is great..your lbs should be able to swap to spring for you...
so far i haven't had any problems with ovalizing been downhilling on it twice now. thats like 12-15 runs per day at diablo taking it off some of the drops and its held up pretty good i haven't exprienced any crashes on this bike yet so can't tell how it'll do there but i feel it was a great choice for me...actully considering swapping my prophet for a kyber .hope you like yours too...
but again like i said before the bullit is a good bike also...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.