mtbr member
    May 2011

My new 2010 Mongoose Otero Elite

Just joined the forum! I have to say, I've been on here for only 2 days, and I've been reading SO much informative stuff! Thanks. I just purchased a new 2010 Mongoose Otero Elite from my LBS(Performance Bikes). I didn't want to spend more than 650 on a bike new or used, and I would always end up coming back the the Otero. I didn't want to worry about used bikes giving me problems, even though I could find something that was *seemed* good. For the 650 limit, there really worn't that many full suspension bike to pick from, though I did really like the Giant Revel. I got fitted to it and to ld them to put it on hold for one day just to be sure. I went back the next day and purchased it for $650 after tax. 60 bucks went back with due to my friends performance card, and the next day, they had 15% off everything which gave me another 90 bucks back. So, realistically, I got the bike for 500 bucks brand new...you bet I'm happy with that! I LOVE it so far.

Here it is-

Lots of people kept on saying don't buy a mongoose for stupid reasons, but I *know* this isn't your ordinary walgoose, along with any other Mongoose bike found on their website!
    Last edited by iggibar; 05-31-2011 at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What do you guys think about the red disks? Would it look better as is, or with no color? It obviously came like that, but I think it clashes with the blue frame color a bit too much.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The discs don't look bad. If they perform, don't sweat it.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    great bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My son's first mountain bike was an 2009 Otero Pro model from Performance. With all the discounts we got it for a bit over $500.00. It's the best $500.00 we ever spent on a mtn bike. He rode it hard for a year and it NEVER let him down.

Congrats!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    First thing you'll probably outgrow is the fork. The SR Suntour XCM is an OK entry level fork, but having a better fork on there can actually help you ride better. Higher end forks have less flex and act less like a pogo stick. Instead of just popping back out instantly, they react to the terrain. They act rigid until needed and have adjustable return rates. I'd look at a replacement after a season or two.

Have fun and remember to only replace things if they are broken or you outgrow the part.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Like the saying goes, there's nothing that you can't upgrade. I really have no need for anything more. I don't really jump it, or do anything that actually requires anything more advanced. Everything it can do, it does it extremely well for me. If I'm going to spend 300+ plus on a fork, I'd much rather put that in savings for a new bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i had a 2009 and 2010 Otero Super. Loved the bikes and have nothing bad to say about them...great buy and enjoy!!!

Photobucket

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks Eddie! I have really grown to this bike so far. I have taken everything apart and put it back together(as I do with most hobby stuff). It's amazing how you can start appreciating your bike more after you have learned how to take your bike apart to bits, and are able to put it back together...and in some ways, put it back together better than the way it was before.

Got some new things for my bike. I sand-blasted the pedals and ground off the top of the nubs to make a U shape to make them grip better. Got a new bike computer(don't know why I waited so long for one!). Got a carbon fiber mounting bar/bracket for the lights. Bought some tire liners for both wheels after getting 2 flats from 2 STUPID PRICKLY thorns(!!!!). I have put 130 miles on my bike since this past friday...I like riding

Here's some new pics. Sorry for the sun glare...it's extremely hot and bright today!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    very nice. i see u didnt like the seat it came with lol. I had a blackburn atom wireless computer the same way u have yours mounted. i ended up losing it on the traills somehow both rubber straps snapped and i didnt notice. so i would tie straps to hold it to the stem. i cant tell what u have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice bike. I agree that you shouldn't worry about the red in the brakes but just ride it. Feel out the shocks and later demo some upgraded shocks at your LBS and then decide what will work best for you. Good buy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    very nice bike!