mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Mongoose XR-Comp? Opinions?

I am looking at an XR-Comp, its a $400 bike so i can assume thats its not TOO awful, i am a casual rider who likes to go "off-road" seldomly, but i want to use it as a segway into the hobby. anyone want to share their experience or expertise?

mtbr member
    I bought one because my financial situation wont let me spend $1,000+ on a bike. I have had no probems with it at all,although I have different forks, shock and seat on it and also upgraded to hydraulic brakes. It shifts good, it's a little heavy but it has held up well after 100+ miles of intermediate riding on single track, rocks, roots, etc. Its a great bike for the price. I did blow a rear tube and the valve stems are long but a stock tube works fine I am running heave duty Bontrager tubes now. I have had no crank or cassette problems, no bent rims or broken spokes, I love it. Hope this helps. You can buy a better higher priced bike but for casual riding this is a good bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    so, what kind of fork was it upgraded to? what did you do about replacing the inner tubes, because i heard they were hard to come by since the valve stem needs to be unusually long. i am trying to find one for around $300 on CL but thats just a waiting game. Would you reccomend it be taken to a shop after purchase to be "tuned" ?

mtbr member
    I am using a Marzocchi 130mm wedge, and a fox shock, just using regular Bontrager tubes, if your buying from CL you should prob have it tuned. I personally love the bike, and haven't had any issues.