mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Mongoose XR-Comp

Hello All,

I am a beginner and would definitely appreciate your expertise.

I just purchased a Mongoose XR-Comp from Walmart.

1. I was looking for a full suspension bike
    2. I was looking for dual disc brakes
    3. Can't really afford the LBS ones

What are your thoughts on this bike? My main goal is to ride around my town, go to the trails a couple times a year and just have fun without breaking the bank while getting a good workout.

Also looking for the accessory that lifts the rear wheel so that I can ride it as an exercise bike. Any links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    if you are going to ride around town almost all the time and only a couple times a year hit the trail...why full suspension and why disc brakes?

i think your best bet as far as retail store bikes go is to get a fully rigid bike with rim brakes. then you can use the money you saved on a fully rigid bike with rim brakes on a tune-up at the LBS (remember, the same guy that assembles furnature is the guy who assembles bikes at retail stores). this way you will get a bike that is lighter than a full suspension w/ disc brakes bike and one that operates smoother.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Seriously? There have been plenty of threads about this before. In fact, there is a XR-Comp thread only six down from this one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The accessory to lift the wheel is called a trainer. You can find them at nearly any online bikes/parts site. Check out jensonusa.com, nashbar.com, performancebike.com, and use google. I don't know prices on them, cause I've never looked for one, but I don't think they're too expensive. My uncle bought an XR-Comp a little over a year ago and it's still going strong. He hasn't replaced anything on it, nor has he had any problems with it. He rides it hard too. Usually about 100 miles a week on pretty rough trails, so you shouldn't have any problems.

I would like to know something. Why must everyone talk down about assemblers at Walmart? Ever stop to think that there might be a Walmart assembler on the forum. It's a little offending. I've been an assembler for going on 3 years, and I can't speak for other stores, but I know I can build or repair a bike just as well as a LBS tech. Sure, there might be things here and there I don't know, but I can easily find answers to whatever I need. Is knowing how to build more than just bikes supposed to be a bad thing? I work with my hands, whether that be with a bike, tv stand, or grill. I build them all RIGHT. So just keep in mind that not all assemblers are idiots. I KNOW how to do my job well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bones72751
    I would like to know something. Why must everyone talk down about assemblers at Walmart? Ever stop to think that there might be a Walmart assembler on the forum. It's a little offending. I've been an assembler for going on 3 years, and I can't speak for other stores, but I know I can build or repair a bike just as well as a LBS tech. Sure, there might be things here and there I don't know, but I can easily find answers to whatever I need. Is knowing how to build more than just bikes supposed to be a bad thing? I work with my hands, whether that be with a bike, tv stand, or grill. I build them all RIGHT. So just keep in mind that not all assemblers are idiots. I KNOW how to do my job well.
    Did you really need to resurrect a 5 month old thread?

We talk down about Walmart assemblers because we've never seen a properly assembled Walmart bike. In fact, most of the bikes I've seen have been assembled in a dangerous fashion, with no regard for the safety of the customer. While you might be an exception, Walmart assemblers should continue to not be trusted.