Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mongoose XR 200

47K views 132 replies 19 participants last post by  Mongoose Pilot 
#1 ·
Mongoose XR 200

This is one awesome bike for the money. If you are looking for something affordable and rugged that won't cost an arm and a leg to maintain or repair this is the best deal I could find:

Specs include:

Aluminum swing link, alloy dual-suspension frame
ZOOM fork
21-speed SRAM MRX Pro/Shimano TX-30
Promax disc brake with rear alloy V-Brake
Alloy levers
Mongoose Alloy-forged three-piece crankset
36-spoke black andonized alloy rims
Kickstand
Quick-release seat

I own this bike and have punished it for quite some time and it handles everything I throw at it. If you do have a problem Mongoose has the best customer service I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. Just let them know what is wrong and they will ship out whatever you need, no questions asked. If you are looking to get into the sport for under $200 and get the most out of your riding experience without breaking the bank then this is the best deal on the net!

Have any questions? Hit me up!

Ride Safe!

See less See more
#7 ·
Happy

highdelll said:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I have never seen anyone so happy about a kickstand. Personally I could do without it.

#12 ·
SuPrBuGmAn said:
Shipping weight on it is 42 lbs. *shrugs*

I don't think anyone buying this bike is all that concerned with weight, its more of a "get what you can" at a given price point.
And that's fine. Sometimes you find a suprising deal.

Hardwarz

#13 ·
Hulk

SuPrBuGmAn said:
Shipping weight on it is 42 lbs. *shrugs*

I don't think anyone buying this bike is all that concerned with weight, its more of a "get what you can" at a given price point.
Does that include the box and all the packing materials? Like I siad it doesn't seem like it is that heavy. I may need to find some truck scales and weigh in.

#14 ·
Mongoose Pilot said:
Does that include the box and all the packing materials? Like I siad it doesn't seem like it is that heavy. I may need to find some truck scales and weigh in.
The way I've weighed mine, I just tighten the rear brake adjuster until the wheel won't spin then ballance the bike on a regular bathroom scale. It won't be perfect, but it'll be a good ball park.

Hardwarz

#16 ·
Mongoose Pilot said:
Its the shipping weight, so I'd imagine that DOES include the packing materials... I can't imagine the packing materials accounting for much weight though.

ege said:
i have not seen one that colur only chrome did u paint it
Looks like he just pulled the cheesy decals off.

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10660673

There's apparently a difference(obvious frame differences) between the XR 200 and the XR-200, LOL, don't ask me why they didn't change up the names a bit more?...

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2513014

#17 ·
8 pounds

SuPrBuGmAn said:
Its the shipping weight, so I'd imagine that DOES include the packing materials... I can't imagine the packing materials accounting for much weight though.

Looks like he just pulled the cheesy decals off.

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10660673

There's apparently a difference(obvious frame differences) between the XR 200 and the XR-200, LOL, don't ask me why they didn't change up the names a bit more?...

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2513014
Ya the stickers were about 8 pounds so that helped a lot lol!

#19 ·
Bravo!

hardwarz said:
The way I've weighed mine, I just tighten the rear brake adjuster until the wheel won't spin then ballance the bike on a regular bathroom scale. It won't be perfect, but it'll be a good ball park.

Hardwarz
Great idea! Now I just need to find a fat person with a scale lol!

#21 ·
Red

ege said:
i have not seen one that colur only chrome did u paint it
No, but I might paint it later after I put a few more miles on it. It comes with the red and black and there is a Schwin FS that is almost just like it. I just took the cheesy stickers off of it and it looked great. If you take your stickers off make sure you save the date code sticker. It's near the bottom bracket near the cranks. If you have a warranty problem you will need the date code when you report it. Its the small silver and black sticker.

#23 ·
To me, the frame design seemed alot more robust than the XR-75s and the older XR-200(silver one). I nearly bought one, but didn't like the look of some of the welds and everything I've read on the rear suspension made it sounds like more of a nuisance than not.

I did buy a Walmart bike though, Schwinn Sidewinder. I liked that it didn't have FS, less to break and the frame seemed sturdy(sure, its heavy too). Didn't want to spend a ton of money on a hobby I might not pursue. Sure, I could have bought used, but I wouldn't have known what to look out for as far as prior owner abuse. The Scwhalmart bike allowed me to get on the road quick. So far so good, but only bought it less than a week ago. Figured I'd just run the bike into the ground and buy an entry level LBS bike when its trashed. If I can't trash it properly, maybe I'll just upgrade it and become one of the forum oddities.

#24 ·
Pics

SuPrBuGmAn said:
To me, the frame design seemed alot more robust than the XR-75s and the older XR-200(silver one). I nearly bought one, but didn't like the look of some of the welds and everything I've read on the rear suspension made it sounds like more of a nuisance than not.

I did buy a Walmart bike though, Schwinn Sidewinder. I liked that it didn't have FS, less to break and the frame seemed sturdy(sure, its heavy too). Didn't want to spend a ton of money on a hobby I might not pursue. Sure, I could have bought used, but I wouldn't have known what to look out for as far as prior owner abuse. The Scwhalmart bike allowed me to get on the road quick. So far so good, but only bought it less than a week ago. Figured I'd just run the bike into the ground and buy an entry level LBS bike when its trashed. If I can't trash it properly, maybe I'll just upgrade it and become one of the forum oddities.
I would love to see some pics of it if you have any.

As far as the welds go on the XR I looked at several until I found one that was acceptable. Sometimes you get lucky and run into a factory worker that has some pride and it shows in their work. I stayed away from the assembled units in the garden section of the store as I knew the inside of the rear frame would be rusted. The one I got was quite clean and grey on the inside. The rear suspension is why I picked the XR. It is simple and rugged and made from steel. The forces are linear where the rear suspension meets the front frame and the welds at those points are thick and sturdy. The pins that hold the bottom and top sections are thick. I just coated those parts that move and the pins with a little bit of bearing grease so they are quiet and operate smoothly. On the bottom connection there are plastic grommets that hold the steel section together on the aluminium welded receivers. The only problem there I can see is after a while they might wear but so far it is very quiet and operates nicely. I agree about the trash comment. Just be careful as to not trash yourself in the process lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.