mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Mongoose Wing Elite Pro

Anyone got one of these ? I can get one for free but needs new front and rear sus along with a few other little bits.

This isnt the actual bike just a pic of the same one I could find on the internet

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sorry, but it's not worth investing the money into. It's a toy store bike, and the frame just isn't worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ah pitty, think I will leave it then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

not that bad..

The frame has some redeeming values..namely built like a TANK. I've dumped it multiple times, jumped 4-5ft and..always came back for more.

I have gone through the 2 stock SX4rear derailleurs, 1 hanger and 2 sets of brakes pads now as well as a set of tires...

Upgraded the POS Kindshock to a manitou SPV and also upgraded the stock rockshox j2 to a rockshox tora 318. Both upgrades changed the whole bike...Both bits were stupid cheap....still waiting for my adapters to go to 180mm rotors..more weight!

I bought mine for nearly 700 in 2007..if you can get it for free..I say do it and slowly upgrade and have fun..

The most awesome part is when they guys on the trail see it and are like WTF it's a MONGOOSE..a bit rare nowadays...This past year I'm yet to see another in SOCAL.
    Last edited by santosbike; 07-21-2012 at 06:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by santosbike View Post
    The frame has some redeeming values..namely built like a TANK. I've dumped it multiple times, jumped 4-5ft and..always came back for more.
    Sorry, but any half decent frame can handle that, and will weigh a lot less.

I stand by my statement: it's a frame not worth putting money into. Save your pennies and buy a better frame to start from.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Lol now I don't know what to do, the reason I was interested in it was because its free and I have a few parts lying around that I could use from my old Gt avalanche (forks, daddle, some bits of the gears. So the only bits I would need to buy I think are a few spokes, brakes, and a rear sus. But dont want to waste time doing all this if the frame is rubbish.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Build it up cheap, sell it, and then put the money toward a nice frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Finally upgraded mine ...was functional for what it is/

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well picked it up today after work, so best start looking for cheap parts on ebay !

mtbr member
    For free, that's not too bad. If you end up getting another bike as well, it'd be a spare which is good to have, you never know when you'll need it, or if you might end up loaning it to a friend for the day.

Of course, until then, you've got a bike that you don't have to worry about damaging it so much. For some people, they can get afraid to put a $1,000 bike through it's paces, just because of the price tag, then it gets hard to enjoy.

Hope you can have a blast with it!
    2009 Mongoose Teocali Comp

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    For what its worth I rode a $500 wing comp pro for a number of years with no issues...same frame I believe but entry level components. In fact it held up quite well compared to the trail sl4 29er I had after. Wing comp wasn't great overall but I was 230lbs+ at the time and the only gripe I had was the energy zapping full-suspension on that model. Other than that few complaints. If you are looking for any parts specific to that bike let me know and I might be able to help.