mtbr member
    May 2006

Mongoose Sabrosa

Evening All,

Anybody know much about them, I am looking at trading my fixxie for one but not sure about sizing TT is 623mm, my roadie TT is 560mm and my MTB is 620ish, would this fit me or be too big?
    Plus anyone have comments etc regarding the bikes themselve seem quite Ok, I was thinking of doing some kind of geared commuter/cyclocross type ride with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Mongoose Sabrosa Over Here!!!

I bought this at the local PBS during their tax-free bikes promo. I wasn't even looking for a bike (went there for some of those Gotham tires) and I saw this in the corner of the store. I didn't realize Mongoose made this singlespeed bike.Test riding in the parking lot made it an easy decision to buy this ride. I love everything about this bike and it didn't break the bank. As time goes by I'll report on how its holding up. Anyone else out there riding this??

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just bought one myself having only seen it on Mongoose's website. It looks really cool, and the price was right. How are you liking yours so far?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Do you guys know the weight (approx) of the saborosa?

mtbr member
    Feedback and follow up on your Sabrosas!
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My friend has a Sabrosa 3x9. It is a really nice bike for the price (he got it on sale at Performance for $500.) He started using it as a road bike and then put some knobbies on for some offroading. It only will fit a 2.1 in the back though. He then stuck a 80mm Reba on it. The suspension fork made the headtube angle pretty shallow, so it was great for going downhill, but it climbed horribly. The gears are 48, 36, 26 up front with an 11-28 cassette, but he put an 11-34 cassette on. The bike with the rigid fork weighed in around 28 pounds. Its probably closer to 30 now with the suspension fork. The only thing that isn't so good is the brakes. They are hydraulic, but they don't even have as much power as my BB7s.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Knockwood
    I recently bought a 3x9 and I love it! Just using it on city streets and in the neighborhood for now. I've got a good trail bike for offroad so I keep this one on the pavement. No problems with it- those big wheels make it seem to roll out a lot faster than my other bikes and the brakes have been more than adequate. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for anyone looking for an urban/ commuter bike.
    "Arf" said Sandy.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My riding buddy has one and he uses it to commute. He loves the bike and Im actually thinking about getting one. I rode it and liked how it felt. If your chain becomes loose, there are 2 bolts under the frame, loosen these bolts and rotate the cranck forward, this will add tention to the chain. We discovered it the hard way.

Knockwood

Stretched?

How did he stretch his chain so quickly?
    "Arf" said Sandy.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hhumbert
    How did he stretch his chain so quickly?

He rides it every day to work but maybe the bolts were a loose and the crank moved a little.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    any of you fellas ride the sabrosa off road ? i was thiking of upgrading the brakes and running it as a 29er mtb. any thoughts . the frame and fork look pretty capable