mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Mongoose Pro Grand Marquis headset

This is my first post here on mtbr.com forum! Hello to all!

I have a new 2004 Grand Marquis frame I got from eBay for a song. It looks great, has a four bar rear suspension. I am gatering new parts to assemble on it, but have had questions on the headset. I found it uses an integrated headset. Not knowing which one to buy, and finding the guy at Mongoose-Schwinn tech support less than helpful, I have purchased a couple of different ones. One is a Ritchey integrated model, it appears to be a "press-fit" type of integrated headset, which will not work. I can remove the bearings from the cups and they fit into the headtube, but not quite flush. I have a Cane Creek IS-2 coming to try out.

Anyone have any experience with the Grand Marquis on any issue? Thanks!

geek

P.S. Here's what I have lined up to install on it:

Manitou Sherman Flick 90/130mm fork
    Manitou Swinger 3-way 7.875 x 2
    Shimano Deore hydraulic brakes
    Hand built (myself) wheels with Campy Thorr rims, Shimano Deore M535 centerlock hubs and discs
    Salsa seatpost
    Bontrager crowbar
    Mongoose 110mm stem
    WTB seat
    Truvative Fire GXP 175mm crankset
    Time ATAC pedals
    SRAM X-7 paddle shifters
    SRAM 7.0 rear derailleur
    SRAM X-gen front derailleur
    SRAM PG-970 cassette
    Kenda Blue Groove front 26 x 2.1
    Kenda Nevegal rear 26 x 2.1

mtbr "member"

Nice!!!

So YOU won the frame on ebay! I have a Grand Marquis as well. Can't beat the Hotlinks suspension. I have a Sommet (trying to sell it) that convinced me to buy it, as I'm more into longer travel. It is a sweet ride, and pretty durable. Just keep an eye on the short VPP links near the bottom bracket. they must be a high stress area as the 'bushings' wear out pretty fast and you get a bit of slop. I fashioned a little fiberglass cover for mine and it works pretty well. It's made of fiberglass casting (for broken legs etc) material. I'll try to get a pic for you.

As for the shock, hate to say, the eye to eye is 7.5 x 2 stroke. I suppose you could use a 7.875 but that'll raise your head angle and BB height (depending on which travel setting you use) up to 1.2 inches. Set your head angle at 67 deg and put a 150 mm fork and it should be OK.

also, wrap the chain stay just behind your crank chainrings. Chain likes to slap up onto it and chew it up from below.

Headset, yes it sits a bit proud. It is IS type. Check Greenfishsports.com for a real deal on the Cane Creek IS-2 and IS-6. I think they're $16 and $24 respectively. The bearings should be 36 x 45 angular contact type.

Enjoy the ride. It's definitely one of my favorite rides.

REEK

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thanks for the info!

Would I be correct that mounting the shock to the most outer bolt hole on the pivot arms would shorten the stroke and allow the bike to sit lower?

geek

mtbr "member"

not sure

Won't change the shock stroke, it will stay at 2 inches. Not sure what it'll do to the overall height. The 7.875 shock should work but just will raise the BB height by about an inch. If you can handle that, you should be fine. The front porch helps with the steerer angle. If you set it at the 67 deg setting, it may bring you back to 68 or 69 deg which is still pretty decent for an AM bike.

REEK

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Reek
    Won't change the shock stroke, it will stay at 2 inches. Not sure what it'll do to the overall height. The 7.875 shock should work but just will raise the BB height by about an inch. If you can handle that, you should be fine. The front porch helps with the steerer angle. If you set it at the 67 deg setting, it may bring you back to 68 or 69 deg which is still pretty decent for an AM bike.

REEK
    Just got my IS-2 CC headset, it works perfectly! Also got in a CC AD-5 at 7.5 x 2 that needs a rebuild, along with a new shock pump. I'll rebuild it and use it as a backup to the 3-Way. Now I'm ready to build this bad mf'er up!

geek

mtbr "member"

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by geekrunner
    Just got my IS-2 CC headset, it works perfectly! Also got in a CC AD-5 at 7.5 x 2 that needs a rebuild, along with a new shock pump. I'll rebuild it and use it as a backup to the 3-Way. Now I'm ready to build this bad mf'er up!

geek

The frame has a pretty slack headtube angle, but more noticeable is the seat tube angle. That's pretty slack too. Great for bombing down stuff but if you want to pedal,it's a bit of a chore. The 7.875 shock might help with that a bit but will raise the BB height AND it might stress the rocker arm as the seat stay begins pushing on it when the rear compresses. I thought about using a 7.875 shock for a while until I tried a 6.75 x 1.75 on my Sommet (similar rear susp. design). You could feel the seat stays harshly loading the rocker arms before they started moving.

anyway, the other thing to note is that with a Cane Creek shock, you may need to use a lot more pressure in the longer travel setting as even with my DHX 5.0 air shock, the rear seems to blow through the travel in the 6 inch setting.

Pretty light frame over all though. Post pics when you get everything together. PM me for any techy type info or whatever.

Enjoy the ride.

REEK

mtbr "member"

One more note....

geek

By the way, for the 4-5-6 inch adjustable travel Grand Marquis, (I think that's 2002 and newer), the rear derailler hanger happens to be IDENTICAL to the Performance bike house brand 2005 CFR road bike. They're $10 on the performance website.

REEK

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Reek
    By the way, for the 4-5-6 inch adjustable travel Grand Marquis, (I think that's 2002 and newer), the rear derailler hanger happens to be IDENTICAL to the Performance bike house brand 2005 CFR road bike. They're $10 on the performance website.

REEK
    Good news! I was thinking I may have to buy another whole frame just to get spare parts. I don't have alot of confidence in Pacific's customer service.

geek

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hi all, was wondering what the seatpost diameter is for this frame ? I bought a frame off ebay too and it won't be here till next week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

seatpost diameter

Quote Originally Posted by guadua
    Hi all, was wondering what the seatpost diameter is for this frame ? I bought a frame off ebay too and it won't be here till next week.
    The seatpost is 31.6mm, and the outside diameter of the seat tube (for seatpost collar and derailleur fitment purposes) is 34.9mm.

geek

mtbr "member"

I use a shim

The seatpost is 31.6mm, and the outside diameter of the seat tube (for seatpost collar and derailleur fitment purposes) is 34.9mm.

geek
    Essentially I shim all my bikes down to a 27.2 seat post. Opens up the seatpost options to a larger selection and shims are about $5. Doesn't seem to harm frames any as I've been doing it since way back when and never had issues. as well, Giant bikes used to all come shimmed down to a 27.2 post as well. Not sure if they still do that but the last 3 Giants I bought were delivered that way.

REEK

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    31.6mm eh, was hoping I could take my shim off my nx 7.5 and use it on the grand marquis, but it's 31.4mm....Thanks for the info...