mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Mongoose Otero Super 08 - Why The Hate? (SERIOUSLY REVISED)

So now I'm a few hundred miles and a number of superb rides in on my Mongoose Otero Super '08. I had a budget to stick to that I could not break, etc. and decided the '08 Otero Super that I got on sale for $620 was a stellar bargain. For an array of reasons somewhat based upon experience, I wanted FS not HT (trying to de-bait flaming trolls).
    Been riding lots of different bikes (friend's rigs), most in the $1k-$4k range, and no doubt some (not all) of the fancy ones have some great advantages (granted, fancy is pretty much anything as my bike cost less than my bro's fork). Some are better at speed, better slow, better brakes, more positive shifting, generally more comfortable for hands/a$s/position, etc. Lots of better stuff out there no doubt.
    Nonetheless, I stayed in my price range, can usually (not always.. oh well) keep up with whomever I'm with, and am having a great time riding. Nothing has broken, and outside of a few adjustments here and there, as to be expected, my heavy bike with the mushy fork has been a real workhorse and a blast to ride. Charged lots of the spots throughout the Santa Monica mountains and elsewhere in SoCal.
    So, I have to ask, what is up with all the hate on my (our?) inexpensive bikes?
    It's not like I'm gunning for a slot in the 2012 Olympics or even to win local races, I'm just enjoying beautiful mountains, great rides and good times with my old and new friends.
    Just writing this as a partially rhetorical question, but also to the people doing research, as I did, go for it. If you are going to ride, you aren't going to say, "Oh man my inexpensive bike sucks, I'm just going to stay inside, boo hoo hoo."
    Of course I'd like a rig like some of the others that I've checked out, but I don't have $3k to spend on a setup, didn't even have $800. Maybe I'm cheap, but that's a lot of money to me right now. My cheapo bike is probably 70% the setup of bikes costing 2x-5x more, but the bottom line is I'm out there putting it to work.
    Maybe I'm the one venting... but when I was doing research there was such an abundance of hate, I've got to think the people writing that stuff spend more time online admiring their dirt-free Ellsworth while flaming us poor dudes than hitting trails.
    Anyway, looking forward to a nice run here on mtbr, happy to be part of what I'm hoping is a cool and educational community. I'm just wary of the flaming gear trolls... Will likely stay in the geo sections.
    Game on suckas.. it's been raining here and it's time to get muddy on the non-clay with my ghetto ride. Booyeah.
    Peace to all.
    Last edited by Plinkomatic; 12-08-2009 at 10:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Plinkomatic
    Maybe I'm the one venting...
    Yeah, you are.

The Otero is about as good an entry level full suspension bike as you can get. I haven't seen anyone say otherwise. As I'm sure you've figured out, quite a few people, me included, will say a hardtail is the better bike to buy at this price point, but it's your choice in the end, and the Otero is a smart buy if you go that route.

Don't take the fact most people here enjoy high performance equipment to mean we look down on entry level equipment. We don't. However, we do understand the benefits of the high performance gear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yeah.. someday I'll score some of that hi-performance stuff but for now I've got to keep my kids in private school. I was venting, and I do dig nice stuff. Someday, somehow I'll get there.
    Just got back from a lunchtime ride that was, as most have been, excellent.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well, talk about hard cheese.
    This evening I rode my neighbors' Fuji HT 29.
    Um....
    I've got some SERIOUS buyers remorse.
    Over the past few months, I've ridden lots of bikes, nearly all were FS, and... I think I blew it going with a 26 FS.
    Dear lord that thing was super stable, super fast, SO much easier climbing.
    I'm still in the Performance Bike 90 day window...
    Geesh... I just want to be done with the "which bike is best" game but man oh man I'm seriously starting to regret going 26FS over 29HT.
    Will poke around here, but... if anyone reading this has ideas on 29 HT's that are under $800 or so, please advise.
    Damnit.
    Hard cheese indeed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Post this in the 29er forum. You'll get much more and much better answers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    why don't u rent a bike when you need it and save up for what you want to get??

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Rental bikes are generally rubbish, and unless you're only riding on weekends, it doesn't make financial sense.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plinkomatic
    Well, talk about hard cheese.
    This evening I rode my neighbors' Fuji HT 29.
    Um....
    I've got some SERIOUS buyers remorse.
    Over the past few months, I've ridden lots of bikes, nearly all were FS, and... I think I blew it going with a 26 FS.
    Dear lord that thing was super stable, super fast, SO much easier climbing.
    I'm still in the Performance Bike 90 day window...
    Geesh... I just want to be done with the "which bike is best" game but man oh man I'm seriously starting to regret going 26FS over 29HT.
    Will poke around here, but... if anyone reading this has ideas on 29 HT's that are under $800 or so, please advise.
    Damnit.
    Hard cheese indeed.
    Performance has a 100% satisfaction guarantee policy. I bet they would let you return the Otero and get a HT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Meh...

It is a bike, not a wife. You aren't married to any bike. Unless you have issues, you don't need to commit to 1 bike for life. If you don't like what you got - sell it and get another. No big deal.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You can stiffen up the back of the Otero and make it like a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mike007
    You can stiffen up the back of the Otero and make it like a hardtail.
    Yup, the slide/lock is a great feature.
    I'm not knocking the Otero at all, it's a FANTASTIC bike, and if I was exclusively DH and ok with 26 and had low loot, it's a great way to go.
    For example, if I lived in Mammoth and was rocking the Gondola lots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Once I changed the fork to a reba I love my 08 otero super. Yeah it's not the best climber but the new fork helps a bit, but on the trail it's a great bike

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got my '10 Otero Elite. I actually looked at SO many bikes in the same price range, and I didn't find anything(I'm not buying something that's not a Giant/Raleigh/GT) that I was willing to dish out 600+ on. And, while some did "look" nice, they didn't ride as well as the otero. They had the same price, while some having the same or worse parts. The choice was simple for this price range, but I know my next bike is going to be a Giant Trance or Anthem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i had both a 2009 and 2010 Otero Super and I loved the bikes and have nothing bad to say about them. enjoy ur ride!

Photobucket