Crazy Alaskan MTBer

Mongoose mtn bike quality

Are they any good? I'm looking at some used ones on craigslist anchorage/matsu. Also, what other bikes, New or used, mongoose/schwinn or not, would be as good if not better for an occasional trail ride and frequent commutes to work?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    A higher end Mongoose would be perfect for quote "an occasional trail ride and frequent commutes to work?"
    How do i know? i bought a Mongoose Teocali back in 2005 or 2006, for commutes to work and the occasional trail ride. Work was 15km's through Sydney,...from Maroubra to North Sydney which took me right through the CBD and over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Equates to 30km's a day. I rode that bike 30 km's a day for years and loved every minute. I would meet a group of social cyclists sometimes on Saturday as well and went for the odd trail ride with friends. The mongoose was fantastic, i clocked well over 10,000 km's on the bike computer before the computer croaked and i didn't care how far i had gone anymore. Nothing broke, but i did eventually wear out the drive train and had to get new chain and sprockets. I still have the bike today although i no longer live in Sydney and no longer commute. The bike is still in perfect condition. You can see it if you go to the thread titled 'post your mongoose' or whatever it's called, i posted a pic of it a week or 2 ago....it's a white Teocali i think it is the last pic posted there?.....if you load the pic consider it has done in excess of 10,000 km's,...it would be the perfect bike for you also. It cost me about $1,900 brand new and i definitely got good value out of it.
    For commutes and a bit of fun, a good Mongoose will rock your world for sure man.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I got my first Mongoose hard-tail in 1995. I sold it to my brother after thrashing it for a few years and replaced it w/ a Mongoos VRS full suspension. Both bikes were great. At the time, Brian Lopes was sponsored by Mongoose and nobody questioned the quality. Then the parent company went to China and started selling to Wal-mart. Those bikes are the ones to avoid.

I was able to get my first hard-tail back from my brother and re-build it with newer parts. It's a blast to ride and I almost prefer it over my FS Specialized. I would have kept riding it except that it's been retired for 2 hours now as I have a new bike in the garage. It will probably live on w/ slick tires.

If you get one, get an old one, or one directly from the Mongoose web-site. Stay away from any model you don't see listed on this forum. If you have time, search here for the model you are looking at and you will get the info you need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I strongly recommend Mongoose bikes (the higher end models as has been mentioned). I have a similar story to Bootz. My uncle bought me a Mongoose Tyax Pro about 5 years ago. I probably put an excess of 6,000 miles on that bike. It was amazing. The only problem it ever gave me was the bottom bracket clicking after a while. It didn't hinder the performance though. The lock out feature was awesome. The brakes worked ridiculously well. It's just a generally high quality bike, and only $400!
    I sold it to some guy who wanted to put a motor on it for a moped type thing. Sold it for $150!
    The only reason I sold it was because my stupidity was starting to catch up with me. Small plastic pieces were broken off, the rear tire was bald (like I said, the brakes almost worked TOO well), and cables were finally starting to stretch out.

You know what the best part is? My uncle bought 2 of these on a 50% off sale. One for me, one for my dad. Well, my dad hasn't touched his since the day he got it as a gift, and I liberated it recently. Gonna have some fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Retired my Mongoose, but couldn't keep it that way. I just put 1.5" slicks on it and made it into a fitness bike. Took it out yesterday for a quick ride and realized I can't come to part with it. If you have the right Mongoose it will serve you well!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I still own the Murray road bike I bought back in 1975 wjemI was 15.. Rode the piss out of it. Burned bearings, bent axles, etc. It lasted for years because I did regular maintenance to the bike.

There are now three Mongoose bikes in my garage. They will last 10 to 15 years because of regular maintenance.

When one item brakes, its just maintenance to fix it.

When problems are ignored, and then 4-8 problems exist, the bike suddenly is crap.

Do the maint. Keep it running. Save megga $$$$.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nmeofun View Post
    Retired my Mongoose, but couldn't keep it that way. I just put 1.5" slicks on it and made it into a fitness bike. Took it out yesterday for a quick ride and realized I can't come to part with it. If you have the right Mongoose it will serve you well!
    Well, my Mongoose didn't stay put as a street / fitness bike very long. Decided to make it a single speed. Comes in at 22 lbs now and is a blast to ride in the dirt!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey guys. I'm a noobie here to the forum and also to mountain biking. Yesterday I found mongoose at Walmart and found they r within my budget. I'm planning to do biking just for fun only so I'm shopping for something that's for amateurs

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by amkmeco90 View Post
    Hey guys. I'm a noobie here to the forum and also to mountain biking. Yesterday I found mongoose at Walmart and found they r within my budget. I'm planning to do biking just for fun only so I'm shopping for something that's for amateurs
    Most all of us "Ride For Fun" here. Don't buy a Wal-Mart bike. for as little as 300 dollars a SAFE reliable bike can be had at a bike shop or from bikesdirect.

save a few bucks today on your Walmart mongoose TODAY, dump it all in down the road.

I know, I've been there. I bought a Wal-Mart Mongoose D60 as a teen just to get ANY bike. I put at least 7 wheels. two sets of brakes and 3 deraillers on it.

Not to mention the bent handlebars and snapped seats.

you'll save a lot of money and injury if you just buy a proper bike.

Even for playing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Im from Australia so i'm not familiar with wal mart or the bikes they sell, but i know department store bikes here are all ****. Mongoose have some great bikes,...it's not the Mongoose brand that i would be wary of, it's the fact that it's sold from a department store that suggests it's a crap bike. If you gonna get a Mongoose buy it from a bike shop they do offer some very good bicycles, but don't get anything from a department store, Mongoose or otherwise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got u guys and thanks for reply. Agwan, what I meant by riding for fun I just wanna say I'll have no time or interest to do what most of the professionals here do. Like upgrading their bikes with newer brakes.. etc. but I got ur point and I'll go tomorrow for a bike shop nearby and get a better idea to tell u guys

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    hehe im no professional mate, just your average bicycle owner. It doesnt matter what bike anyone owns, the cables will eventually need to be replaced, tyres, tubes, brake pads,....you might find the saddle isnt too comfy and you want a better one,...it's just upkeep and maintenance. The other option is to buy a bike and when things wear out pay it no mind and ride it into the ground until it's a pile of junk, which would be a waste. Wishing you all the best in your hunt for your new bike mate, you'll know the right one for you when you see it. =)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i have an 08 otero leiteand after re-doing it is (at least in my opinion) as nice to ride as a bike such as a specialized stumpjumper. mongoose is good, as long as you get a high end model. here's a pic of mine just for the fun of it.

e
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mongoose mtn bike quality-620377_396529367079820_934996085_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    After going to two bike shops and getting a tour in Walmart, Kmart, Dick's, and Sears, there's a big difference in everything. To make it short I decided to look in Craigslist. I found cannon dale, not sure of its series, for $250 and diamondback, didn't mention its series, and both I think are nice brands. I think it's better to get a used but a top brand instead of buying a new crap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    After searching Craigslist I found some good choices, hope so, but I need a help from u guys to pick a good one that is tough and if properly maintained just need tires, brakes...etc those wearable items I mean. I've found
    1- Raleigh m50 $180 ( 4 yrs old, only used 3 times, 18 speed, shimano gearing with finger toggle shifters, front shocks and toe clips)
    2-Diamondback outlook DX $100 ( no details)
    3-Diamondback sorrento $200 ( 6061 heat tested aluminum frame

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There are 2 more bikes I don't know why the post didn't take them. They are
    4-Cannondale F9 $250 with avid disc brakes
    5-GT $150 ( 18 in Tange chromoly frame and fork, shimano biopace crankset, 21 speed drivetrain , v-front brakes, and u-rear brakes)
    I know this's a long list but I know you guys are more pro than me and will help me decide what's the best. I appreciate your help

mtbr member
    I personally couldn't help you with those bikes in particular, as I don't have any experience with them. The best advice I can say is to go test each of them out, see how well they fit you, see how much you like them and go from there. If you like a certain one over the others, go with it. If you read around on here, and anywhere else for that matter, you'll find a lot of good advice. I think the absolute best advice is to go with a bike that makes you want to ride it, one that excites you. If one bike has a better spec sheet, but a different bike is more exciting to ride, then go with the exciting one. It's all about having fun in the end.
    2009 Mongoose Teocali Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i'd go wth the f9 in a flash. theyre pretty nice. i owned 1 for 3 yrs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm thinking also about that F9 but would like to get a look on the others.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    After looking at all the bikes on my list I've found that it's much better to get something new. So I went to the bike shop in my area and pulled the trigger on a Trek 820. I'll pick it up by Friday. I hope that I made a good decision for a beginner.