mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Mongoose at mass market outlet for about $400.

Piece of crap or worth four hundred bucks, which I consider really cheap for a bike?

It has rear suspension. For $400

I'm half serious about the idea of buying one as a sort of "disposable" bike to use in some routine day to day training sessions on some very local trails in my neighborhood. Would avoid some of the wear and tear on the fantasy bike I want to buy myself in the spring, which is going to be one of the high-end Specialized models. If I trashed the cheap one, or it wore out fast, I would be OK with it. Some of these local trails are really rough and steep, so there is the possibility of trashing a bike, and I'd rather trash a $400 bike than a $10,000 bike until I'm more confident of my mtb skills, since I'm not very experienced with mtb at this time, although I do a lot of street/paved trail riding.

mtbr member
    Get on Craigslist and spend you $400 on a used Mtn bike. I would not get the Mongoose. Brakes can/will break, shocks will pogo and bike weighs a ton.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MotownDanny View Post
    Piece of crap or worth four hundred bucks, which I consider really cheap for a bike?

It has rear suspension. For $400

I'm half serious about the idea of buying one as a sort of "disposable" bike to use in some routine day to day training sessions on some very local trails in my neighborhood. Would avoid some of the wear and tear on the fantasy bike I want to buy myself in the spring, which is going to be one of the high-end Specialized models. If I trashed the cheap one, or it wore out fast, I would be OK with it. Some of these local trails are really rough and steep, so there is the possibility of trashing a bike, and I'd rather trash a $400 bike than a $10,000 bike until I'm more confident of my mtb skills, since I'm not very experienced with mtb at this time, although I do a lot of street/paved trail riding.
    The bike I'm guessing you're referring to must be the $380 Mongoose XR Pro full-suspension 29er.

The highlights include: Decently re-enforced frame that's hydroformed heavily in the front to create stronger headtube, bb and seat tube junctions. Mongoose labeled wheels with dual wall rims arent light, but will last you for awhile and do use the standard cassette on the rear hub rather than a cheaper freewheel. Sram X4 drivetrain is respectable, and will do the job well enough. A WTB Speed V saddle isnt a pain in the butt so to speak. The cheaper square taper cranks from Suntour actually will do a decent job for the time being, as will the sealed bb.

On the downside: Weight of 38 lbs... The stock Innova tires have alot to do with this, as one rider reported tire weight of around 1100 grams, which is insane (throw on my favorite WTB Nano's and save nearly 2.5 lbs and in the most important area-rotational weight). The fork is also heavy, and a $120-$150 Rockshox XC30 will save weight and improve the handling. You can throw on a air shock such as a Rockshox Ario, when you're ready. A few early models had brass bushings, now you cant find that (cost cutting for sure), and you're left with cheap plastic bushings that will wear quickly without proper maintainence. BB is sealed, but a low grade unit that'll need replacing after a few months of hard riding.

No, the bike isnt a top level, or even mid level bike. It's a cheaper full-suspension 29er that can be rode as-is to see if you like FS 29ers (if you personally arent mechanically inclined, a bike shop will go over the whole bike for $50-$75, and do this before the first ride), or upgraded smartly as you can or want to, or when something breaks (all parts break, from a $300 XX rear derailleur to a $20 X3 one).

All in all, a number of riders have bought this bike and been happy with it, while others will tell you to avoid it at all costs. I personally like the XR-Pro for what it is, a very very affordable bike ($380 is cheap) that can serve as a decent bike, and can be made better without going broke. Dont buy it expecting service after the sale, and if thats what you're wanting, take it to the LBS after purchase, or shop a LBS and look for deals on clearance models.
    Riding the Geese since '98! Check out my youtube videos at www.youtube.com/mongoosejake