mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Mongoose Khyber Super 2009

Hi

I'm thinking of switching my (totally custom approx 33 lb w.out pedals) 2006 kona coiler for a Mongoose Khyber Super. The riding here is all about trail-riding up and bombing down. But the trails are fairly technical at times.

So I can get the Khyber Super 2009 from a local store. But is the weight troublesome? What does it weigh actually (in large)? I've heard everything from 33-37 pounds. I'm thinking I can drop 1-2 pounds with some small changes (tubeless, sram 990 cassette, new handlebar and stem and possibly something more)

It looks like a good setup but is it too heavy for trailriding?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi, got a quick response from mongoose, just sharing the info:

"Thanks for the email. Without pedals, the Khyber Super weighs in at 33.2 pounds in a medium frame.

Best wishes,

Dave at Mongoose Bikes"

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
    Hey I am looking at the 09 Khyber Super as well. My main concern is how well does it climb?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Climbs amazingly well!

I've got an 08 Khyber and living in Washington state, I do a ton (too much for me actually) of climbing and honestly it climbs better than some 3-4" travel lightweight bikes I have and have ridden. I do ride a large also and my build is pretty burly and comes in at 35 lbs. I have azonic wheels and a fox float 36 along with some holzfeller cranks and dh bb. I could go lighter, but I'd probably go slower downhill because of it. Its a tradeoff. I'm also 6'4" and 230 lbs so light usually means slower for me.

To date, the freedrive deal seems to me to be the best deal going, simple and stout.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
    Well I just ordered my 09' Khyber Super. I should be getting it in a few days.
    My first trip with the Mongoose will hopefully be Fort Rock in Exeter New Hampshire. I will be in the area on other business so I plan to bring the bike with me for the weekend...that is if I get it on time.
    ...more to follow.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

Good job! 09 Mongoose Khyber Super

I have owned my 09' Khyber Super for a couple of weeks now. I have been riding it on the trials almost every day since it's been in my possession . The first thing I can tell you about this bike is....it trully is SUPER. I live in Queens, NY and there are many trails near and far to choose from. I've taking the bike to both Cunningham Park and Stillwell Woods. I am pleased to report this bike is a monster on the trails. Absolutely devouring any obstacle it faces up or down hill. Never before has a bike invoked so much confidence in my riding. The Khyber comes stock with a huge pair of Gravity Light bars. Let me tell you, these are what I like to call "Texas Longhorns". These are some long bars. I kind of like the way they feel and their size has not caused any problems on the trails yet, so I plan to leave them as is. The Shimano SLX crank and 18 speed SRAM freewheel cassette work flawlessly together. Not to mention the stopping power of the stock Hayes Stroker Trail brake set up. Next is the sick shock set up. Marzocchi 55 ATA Micro fork and the Marzocchi ROCO Air R in the rear. These shocks offer amazing rebound with almost 7" of travel both front and back! This bike is all about sweet descents, but for those ridicules climbs involved in getting there, both shocks come with available lock-outs. I have never ridden a bike with so much travel that climbs so well...
    I feel like I finally own a bike that does it all with very little exceptions. With features like adjustable seat height on the fly, even fruitless XC riding remains enjoyable. As for me and my Khyber Super its all about the woods during the week and lift assisted bike parks on the weekends!! Great job Mongoose.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

Good job! 09 Mongoose Khyber Super