• 02-02-2013
    Savageajc
    Mongoose Expo? Please Help!
    Can anyone help me out with info on a Mongoose Expo? I am thinking about picking it up tomorrow from craigslist but I cant find any info at all about the bike. Ive been googling the past few days. Any help is greatly appreciated! It is 26" frame says SRAM Mongoose Exp. It is silver with blue lettering.

I am still very much a beginner at MTB. thanks!
  • 02-02-2013
    irishmongooserider
    The only thing I can find about the Expo is that is was a cheap 24" wheeled full suspension bike. Not finding any with 26" wheels...

I found one on C'List, does this appear to be the same? 24" Tires Mongoose Expo Full Susp Bike -

If so, I'd probably pass on it, unless you get it dirt cheap, and for light riding. 24" wheels, 1" threaded fork and stem, well worn/heavily used (appears that the Expo has been discontinued for a long time) dont make for great highlights. Still the bike made be do-able for light riding such as around town, bike paths, and lighter trail use, nothing crazy.
  • 02-02-2013
    Savageajc
    Thanks, yep thats the bike.
    Yea I could not find anything, I guess that says something haha.
    It looks like its in good condition, I don't have 10 post yet so I can't post the Craigslist link, but I would be getting it for $40.00
  • 02-03-2013
    irishmongooserider
    Honestly, if you're trying to stay within a tight budget, here are two bikes that I'd recommend:

Airborne Skyhawk for $350 (great bike to get going on, with a very respectable parts spec and a good frame): Airborne Bicycles. Skyhawk

or the Mongoose Tech 4 for $300 (again, decent spec, but be ready to swap out the rear coil shock for something else like a KS or other value shock, around $75, or an ebay deal): mongoose mountain bike 24 speeds full suspension on eBay!

Both would be good to get started out on, and I'd give the nod to the Airborne as the better overall bike, and a hardtail is lighter and simpler to maintain, especially if you're new to bikes.
  • 02-03-2013
    Savageajc
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check those bikes out. I ended up passing on that mongoose. For now I need more research!
  • 02-04-2013
    irishmongooserider
    I'm not one to be against cheap bikes, as I feel that as long as you're on a bike, you're one of us as mountain bikers but in that case (an old, possibly neglected cheapie) isnt going to be a great starting point. It'd require quite a bit of wrenching to get going and keep going.

I'd go up just a bit in cost, ad you can get very worthy bikes from Mongoose, Airborne, Diamondback, and Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes, Bicycles, Mountain Bikes and Bicycles with Bikesdirect.com, New with full warranties for not alot of money. You can spend $250-$400 and ride happily for years if you look for good deals on sale.

Also look for clearance models at your local shop (if you have a good shop nearby) as they may be trying to get rid of leftover 2012 models, and even 2011 models that are still hanging around the shop.
  • 02-05-2013
    Savageajc
    I ended up ordering the airborne sabre last night. I liked the color scheme better than the skyhawk and it was $100 less. If I end up using the crap out of the bike maybe ill upgrade =p thanks again for the help!
  • 02-05-2013
    irishmongooserider
    No problem! Airborne is finding a big name for itself by offering good value in its bikes. I really like their 29er lineup as well.