mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Mongoose Dolomite - bottom brackets

What's everybody done to the bottom brackets that work? and more importantly, what hasn't worked so we're not blindly going down the wrong path? I'll update this first post with the things that have been shown to work well.

These are a must if you're keeping the stock spindle.
    Amazon.com : YST Sealed BSA Cupset w/Bearings English Threads : Bottom Bike Brackets And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've got the race face turbine 120mm bottom bracket with longer spindle for 190mm rears. We had to add two extra spacers to the drive side so it wouldn't hit. Tree fort bikes has them for $170 free shipping I just had to get the two extra spacers. Product number is 333222396202

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'll try to post pics up tonight

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice. a bit expensive for the dolo, but worth it. Looks like Nigra cycle works has the same/similar one off amazon. Added to my wish list and waiting for a price reduction.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._prd_ttl_sol_0

I assume the spacers went on the crank tube, and not between the bottom bracket and the frame? Was the clearance problem between the cranks and frame or between the chain and tire?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    They went in between the outside bearing and the bottom bracket. I had an issue with clearance with the crank hitting the chain stays

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So just to add a little to the first post. I was working on a few of my bikes a couple weeks ago with the bottom brackets both needing work. The Dolo i was tearing apart before I even rode it and the other bike had an older style unsealed type of BB.

So I ordered the $10 YST BSA cupset for the Dolomite and a sealed Shimano U55 BB for about $35. The shimano was a quick swap with the special BB tool to install it, and it seems to work very well. I now see the advantage of having the BB sealed to keep dirt and water out.

The YST BSA that is linked above took a little longer to install. However the cup seals come with what seem to be pretty nice large bearing in them that the stock axle slides right over and onto. You can pack as much grease in them as desired and then you can lock it into place and adjust the amount of shaft play(from side to side) so that the axle is set in-place while still spinning freely. The cup set also has a rubber seal that the axle pierces through, this creates an almost "sealed" BB because it is so tight on the axle. With the added grease I would think it would be quite hard for water and sand to get inside. So for the $10 investment you get to keep your drive train and have a real maintenance free upgrade.

After both were installed I have to say that I thought the sealed shimano would spin so much easier or more free for some reason. The truth was they both feel exactly the same when rotating them in my hand with the bikes set upside-down or on my rack.

Thats my .02cents on the subject.