mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Mongoose Deception.... Issues...

I had picked this bike up a week ago... I have maybe put 20-25 miles on it, no trails yet, honestly just around town getting used to riding again.. In this week I have already replaced the Freewheel.. Tonight on a ride around I noticed a "clunk" coming I believe from the rear wheel once again... I have not torn into the bike anymore than replace the freewheel.. Could this possibly be a rear hub problem? I noticed when I spun the wheel a very minor side to side movement on the freewheel it's self. I need help!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Have you been in touch with Pacific Cycles?. How loud is the clunk? I have just checked mine and it seems fine.

I've had mine for around six weeks and ridden around 250 miles on both dirt and paved trails and no problems so far.

When you tip your bike upside down hold your rear wheel from opposite ends and try to see if there is any play, when you wiggle the wheel. If there's excessive play on the axle it might mean you need to adjust the bearing cones on the hub. There is a section about it on page 51 in your manual. I hope you find the problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Side-to-side movement is normal on Shimano freewheels. I don't think they are manufactured to the tightest tolerances.

I had one on an old 600 fw hub on my roadie and had a "clunk" noise from time to time. It never seemed to affect performance though. I eventually changed to a cassette hub and the noise went away.

Unfortunately, nobody but IRD makes quality freewheels anymore so upgrading to a cassette hub may be your best option in the long run.
    "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Now you're getting me confused. On my Technical Service Insrtuctions paperwork, that came with my bike, shows it as being a cassette/hub (CS-HG40-8I) and not a freewheel. Maybe Smitty could be a little clearer on what he actually changed.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Why haven't you taken it back is the real question!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerBear View Post
    Now you're getting me confused. On my Technical Service Insrtuctions paperwork, that came with my bike, shows it as being a cassette/hub (CS-HG40-8I) and not a freewheel. Maybe Smitty could be a little clearer on what he actually changed.

These bikes are plagued with low quality components and you would be better served by returning it IMHO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    These bikes are plagued with low quality components and you would be better served by returning it IMHO.
    The deception is a 21 speed and uses a 7 speed freewheel. I would call Pacific and have them send you a new rear wheel and freewheel. They usually send parts out gladly and free of charge. Theres nothing wrong with the deception, its just got lower end components.

Sent from my VM670 using tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got nothing wrong with mine, why would I want to return it? As I said in my previous post I've ridden around 250 miles on it in 6 weeks and it rides very good, and I happen to like it very much. I'm just trying to help Smitty. He had mentioned changing out the freewheel when in fact according to my service sheets that came with the bike says it's a cassette/hub not a freewheel. I'm just trying to work out what he actually did, so as to help him if I can.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    He guys I'm sorry I have a Mongoose Detention my bad that's why the confusion on my part The Detention is a 24 speed cassette/hub system. Detention - Deception I got it mixed up Sorry Guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    He guys I'm sorry I have a Mongoose Detention my bad that's why the confusion on my part The Detention is a 24 speed cassette/hub system. Detention - Deception I got it mixed up Sorry Guys.
    OHHHH... makes sense now. Yeah its a cassette. And there's nothing wrong with the detention either. Although I would say to upgrade the coil spring with something that has a lock out or climbing hills might be a little tiresome.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah they are pretty good I already have changed it for a Manitou Steel with a 450lb spring but not for the reason you suggest I changed it so I could have a softer ride. The spring that comes with it is an 850lb spring and its way too stiff.

~Disc~Golf~
    hahaha - nice
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah they are pretty good I already have changed it for a Manitou Steel with a 450lb spring but not for the reason you suggest I changed it so I could have a softer ride. The spring that comes with it is an 850lb spring and its way too stiff.
    Well the reason I suggest a lock out feature is to keep bobbing issues to a minimum, especially when climbing. When the suspension bobs it dramatically reduces pedalling efficiency. If you ever look into upgrading it, you should check out some air shocks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah I know what you mean, but I haven't had that issue with it. There apperars to be no bobbing from the rear end, even with the old shock, which was rock hard. This new shock seems to filter out the rythmic pedal action, and if I lean down hard on the seat I can't compress the rear suspension, but yet when and if I hit a bump the suspension soaks up the shock quite well. I know it sounds weird but I can only tell you what I have found.

Yeah eventually I'll set it up with an air shock but at the moment it's fine for what I'm doing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah I know what you mean, but I haven't had that issue with it. There apperars to be no bobbing from the rear end, even with the old shock, which was rock hard. This new shock seems to filter out the rythmic pedal action, and if I lean down hard on the seat I can't compress the rear suspension, but yet when and if I hit a bump the suspension soaks up the shock quite well. I know it sounds weird but I can only tell you what I have found.

Yeah eventually I'll set it up with an air shock but at the moment it's fine for what I'm doing.
    As long as your happy with it, that's all that matters. I have a Schwinn aluminum comp that I've done some pretty heavy upgrading on, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yep the important thing is that you're happy. I think doing upgrades to these less than perfect bikes can be quite rewarding. I know it's not going to be as good as a $1200.00 FS bike, but even after some upgrades it won't cost as much either.

Good luck with what you're doing on your bike, by the way I saw some pics of it on one of your previous posts and I have to say it was looking quite good.

I hope Smitty gets back and gives us an update on what his problem was and if it's fixed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yep the important thing is that you're happy. I think doing upgrades to these less than perfect bikes can be quite rewarding. I know it's not going to be as good as a $1200.00 FS bike, but even after some upgrades it won't cost as much either.

Good luck with what you're doing on your bike, by the way I saw some pics of it on one of your previous posts and I have to say it was looking quite good.

I hope Smitty gets back and gives us an update on what his problem was and if it's fixed.
    I feel the same way. Over got $145 total into my bike right now, through buying used and having some things laying around. I think I'm gonna throw on a sealed bottom bracket and an alivio or lx crankset and call it done til things start breaking. I've got a few more pics, if you're interested, at http://bigboxbikes.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=110. I've got to get some new pics posted up since some minor changes. I'd love to see some pics of yours. Also if you're interested, it'd be cool if you might think about registering over there and leaving a comment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all of the reviews guys. I do appreciate it, the bike is still torn apart in the garage.. I took the freewheel off and didn't notice anything wrong with the hub and had plenty of grease packed into the bearings. To be honest I am kinda stumped, but when I get home I will put it back together and take it to my lbs and see what they have to say, my other hobbies burned me out on working on my own stuff... Hope it's nothing major...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah I can't see it as anything major. Lets now what the LBS says