Dharma Initiate

Mongoose D60 R 1998

Hey all, still kinda new on the forums here. I just wanted to introduce myself, but I started this here so after I get a few more posts I can post pics of the "rebuild"- so to speak- that I did on a 1998 Mongoose D Series. I bought an old goose off craigslist after my other bike... ugh that's a discussion for another time... has left me. I wanted a bike to rebuild and not spend much. It's winter here and broke but still had fun and it turned out great.

I searched around for some information on this bike and came up with little. Appears to be three models on the D-Series 1998. D40/D60/D70. There are reviews on here that can back me up this is a nice little gem I got my mitts on. I know I know what most say about Mongoose but I don't care. It's great for me to get to work and casually ride. I even beat this quite hard after the rebuild.

Ill get some more posts so I can link the pics here for you guys/gals to see.

Anyone else here have this bike or have redone it?

Thanks!

Dharma Initiate

Mongoose D60 R 1998 added pics

Here is the link for MTBR review on the D60R by Mongoose.

For starters I had issues such as the rear derailleur was bent, Including both stock single wall steel wheels. The word uncomfortable couldn't describe what you felt when riding with that stock seat. So why not replace the post too ehh. This alloy has to be better than that heavy steel it came with. The bottom pivot bolt was missing a nut, and installed incorrectly and it still shutters a bit under hard braking. I think I have it fixed not with the bike but the brakes and toe. Here is the pic I snapped right before I ripped it apart.

I put on new double wall alloy wheels with Michelin Country AT. Kept the canti brakes even though the rear triangle has a setup for disc. The front Rock Shox Jett does not. The front shocks are RS Jett which I have the .pdf is anyone for some reason would want specs. Basically independent adjusters on both sides w/lockout 65mm travel. I refurbished mine and painted. Like I said the post was replaced with alloy and a cheap seat that is comfortable. Fixed the drivetrain which was a mess. Replaced little. All Shimano, brakes and drivetrain. Stock rear suspension. Everything was ripped apart and cleaned/repaired and painted. Lizard Skin grips too! Im in (minus labor) about 200. I did not add the wheels as they were a present and I found the bike cheap on Craigslist. Im not a biking nut, but this is a nice ride for what it is. Cut the vinyl myself too. Finished.

The pics are here if you want to see the ones i took through the process. If anyone has any questions or other info about this bike feel free to PM me. I also understand this frame manf. 1998 in Taiwan by the Mongoose company previous to the Pacific Bicycle Company buyout.
    Last edited by P.Stefanelli; 01-13-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added pics