Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Mongoose is crap, here is the proof

This is a Canaan Elite. And yes I own one also, in fact we both have the same bike. His is less than 60 days old, mine 3 weeks. Mine will be going back to Performance for a full refund. I'm not taking any chances, I mean he is lucky to be alive and this happened while riding on smooth ground at the bottom of a gully. I hope the rest of you guys have better luck. I would be carefull and inspect the welds and the holes where the water bottle cages are drilled. It appears that a crack formed at the water bottle bolt hole, and spread from there during the compression part of the gully. The welds look ok but the metal looks like it was weakened from too much heat during the build process and it just broke away from the weld.
    It's too bad because the bike rides great and has fantastic components for the price. But it looks like maybe the frames are less than good quality. Well at least his was for sure.
    Please be carefull and check your out too be safe.

achiever
    Holy sh*t!! That is the definition of catastrophic failure. Glad you're friend is ok. That is horrible.

Can you repost the links to the 4 other pics that aren't working please.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Try these.
    http://www.cs. utexas.edu/ ~jss/canaan/ broken1.jpg
    http://www.cs. utexas.edu/ ~jss/canaan/ broken2.jpg
    http://www.cs. utexas.edu/ ~jss/canaan/ broken3.jpg
    http://www.cs. utexas.edu/ ~jss/canaan/ broken4.jpg
    http://www.cs. utexas.edu/ ~jss/canaan/ broken5.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sorry it doesnt work.
    Just drag the first one into your address bar and then change the numbers to 2,3,4,5 and you can see his picks.

conjoinicorned
    at least the headtube gusset worked

good luck with mongoose
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Riding on smooth ground?

Quote Originally Posted by cbip
    (snip) ...and this happened while riding on smooth ground at the bottom of a gully... (snip)
    I'm glad everyone is OK! I hope the dealer and manufacturer refund/replace the busted frame!

I'm just wondering, how is it possible that EVERY failure picture that gets posted on the interweb happens while "riding on smooth ground".

Come on, be honest - could there have been some rough treatment that lead to the failure?
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    No bad treatment, unless you are not supposeed to ride a mountain bike on trails. No jumps just trail rides on smooth and rocky trails. It broke at the bottom of a smooth trail that is like a roller coaster type run.

mtbr member
    Wow...I'm suprised it broke in so many places.

SuperInstigator
    Hmmmm, I call BS. I don't like mongeese either, but I don't think the frame suffered a failure in 3 places at once on a "smooth ground." Did you by any chance score the tubes so they would break and you could send it back becasue you actually hated the bike?

Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Everything that I said is the truth. I dont want to belive it either because I own the exact same bike and I really like the ride and components that came on it. And the price was a steal also. But I really dont feel like I can take the chance that it is not a design flaw or poor workmanship in this bike frame. Since he and I both weigh about the same, I feel like I would be pushing my luck to keep riding mine. The trail is called the Wall and the location is Rocky Hill Ranch outside of Austin.
    I'm sure someone else has been there and can tell you what it is like. A bike should'nt fail doing what it was designed to do!

SuperInstigator
    Everything that I said is the truth. I dont want to belive it either because I own the exact same bike and I really like the ride and components that came on it. And the price was a steal also. But I really dont feel like I can take the chance that it is not a design flaw or poor workmanship in this bike frame. Since he and I both weigh about the same, I feel like I would be pushing my luck to keep riding mine. The trail is called the Wall and the location is Rocky Hill Ranch outside of Austin.
    I'm sure someone else has been there and can tell you what it is like. A bike should'nt fail doing what it was designed to do!
    Okay, I guess I'll take your word for it. Keep us enlightened on what Mongoose says!!!(You are gonna tell them right?)

Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    I doubt mongoose would believe that either. Most companies stand behind their workmanship and any frame that busts in 3 pieces riding on flat is obviously a piece of junk.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    He sent emails to Performance, Mongoose and I think Pacific Cycles. The only one who replied was Performance and they said " sorry for your bad experience, take your bike back to the store manager and he will give you a full refund". No ****! You can get a full refund on anything you buy from Performance, whether it is broken or not, at any time. Its called the Performance 100% satisfaction guarantee. No questions asked. Just tell them you are not satisfied with the product and you will get a full refund.
    Well at least Performance replyed. He hasnt heard a peep from Mongoose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've sold a few of those bikes myself and never heard of any issues. that being said, it's a marathon racer-style bike, and I wouldn't go with one for general trail riding. Yeah it might be doable as far as travel and geometry and components go, but it is built to be light and needs a good rider. But this would also explain why mongoose has been so loud about proclaiming that the '08 version is much stronger. Sorry for the issues, I love the bike too, almost got one if it wasn't for the GT Force coming out!

mtbr member
    Where can we buy a gt force though? I'm liking them but cant find a dealer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    performancebikes is your best bet, only GT dealers around where I am atleast. Plus the aforementioned 100% satisfaction thing. The bikes are coming into the country mid-november according to a GT guy I spoke to a month ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am wondering how this story ended? I assume by now you also know that Mongoose and GT are part of the same company, so I won't belabor that. Looks like Mongoose held up their end of the deal in that the welds held up. Well atleast we know where the weight saving is on these bikes :-)

Anyone else had any prons like this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Pacific Cycles ended up taking the broken Mongoose back and gave him a GT Marathon in return. It seems to be a very nice bike and he says it climbs very well. I wondered if by not giving him another Mongoose Canaan Elite, they were acknowledging a problem with that frame design, but I think they just figured he wouldnt want another one for peace of mind reasons.
    My Canaan has been great so far, although I am in the process of getting a Titus Racer X. I think maybe he got the bad apple of the bunch. Although they say the apple doesnt fall far from the tree.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Cool deal! Interesting point about Pacific's actions. I hear good things about the Racer X. Regards

Spreadin the love...
    I wondered if by not giving him another Mongoose Canaan Elite, they were acknowledging a problem with that frame design, but I think they just figured he wouldnt want another one for peace of mind reasons.
    Or they simply didn't have any Canaan Elites on hand. If you warranty a Specialized frame(no one's EVER had to do that ) and it was even like 6 months old you usually ended up getting a later model because they sell out fairly quickly after release and they only make a predetermined batch.
    I would say if you're riding yours on flat ground too and haven't fallen on your ass like probably 300 other Canaan owners in the US, I'd say it's obviously pretty safe to say he got a bad apple. It's a bicycle, not a Bugatti, stuff breaks, no biggie.
    Ride. Break. Replace. Repeat.
    For 08:
    SixFeetDeepClothing
    Azonic/Oneal
    Globe Shoes
    One Industries/Sixsixone/Sunline
    Kenda

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    These are the same pics from John that are posted in the reviews section where he admits that he crashed to make the frame break apart. Read the end of his review.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/xc_full_...t_128481.shtml

I have a Canaan Elite and have had great fun with it...after replacing the pedals and tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CheekiTiki
    These are the same pics from John that are posted in the reviews section where he admits that he crashed to make the frame break apart. Read the end of his review.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/xc_full_...t_128481.shtml

I have a Canaan Elite and have had great fun with it...after replacing the pedals and tires.
    He doesn't say that he crashed and caused it to break he says that it broke and he crashed. It probably broken in one spot and that caused him to crash and caused much further damage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Turt99
    He doesn't say that he crashed and caused it to break he says that it broke and he crashed. It probably broken in one spot and that caused him to crash and caused much further damage.

Whoops...my bad. You're right. I still find it hard to believe that a frame could break like that. Hope that I have a good one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CheekiTiki
    Whoops...my bad. You're right. I still find it hard to believe that a frame could break like that. Hope that I have a good one.
    Well, let me answer everyone who thinks that the bike is a good bike. My Mongoose Canaan Elite also broke. And it broke in the exact same spot John's broke. Luckly i did not get hurt and caught it before a serious injury. The bike is a piece of crap. It has a design or manufacturing flaw and I would suggest that anyone who has one return it before you get seriously hurt.

Check your bike frame right above the welds for the shock mount and also the seat stay/cage that holds the seat tube up. You will find small cracks/fractures if your frame is giving way.

Performance has treated me very well since the frame broke and I was given a new bike , not a Mongoose, as a replacement. It is a much superior bike than the Mongoose in every way, should have bought this one first and saved the ********.

mtbr member
    So it sounds like the '07 Canaan had a design of mfg flaw. I don't think that can be generalized to the entire Mongoose lineup. But...

I cracked the rear triangle of my '05 Teocali Super after about 2500 miles. Mongoose (through Performance) replaced it for free. Other than that setback, I have really enjoyed the bike.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast