mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Mongoose Canaan question

Anyone out there that owns a Canaan find the stand-over to be an issue? I am looking at maybe getting one and that is the only thing that jumps out at me. I am 5'10 and have a 32' ish inseam, and the stand-over on the medium frame is a tad over 30 inches...doesn't leave a lot of room for error it seems. Other than that one small issue it looks solid. Of course it would help if performance would run a 15-20% off special soon (maybe someone from performance will read this ) No local bike shops around here sell them, and since money is tight for me I don't like to spend an extra $2000 for a "brand image" or name sticker on my bike. I have a Mongoose Teocali Super and it has been one of the best bikes I've had in a long while. I appreciate any and all advice.

-Patrick

Old & Slow
    I'm about 5'8" but still got a medium. I got to test ride them both and the small was just a little too cramped. The fit for me is pretty good anyway. As far as price, I was in a local Performance yesterday and they have them on sale for $1399. I noticed the web sale price is $1649. Maybe you can call see if they will honor the $1399. Worth a chance. As for the bike, don't have any reservation about it being a Mongoose - it's an excellent bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Picked up an 09 Team

I ended up buying a 2009 Canaan Team from performance and have gotten out an it a few times now. So far I am really liking it, the bike seems to want to go much faster than I do! The only thing I have changed on it are the tires, the SB8s are good for one of our local trails, but I was afraid they wouldn't have enough grip for most others. I threw on some Panaracer Fire XC Pros. Did my first ride with them on today and did pretty good (except for one pretty bad crash that resulted in lots of blood from my knee). An added bonus to the Fire XCs are the red sidewalls, goes well with the rest of the bike . Got an amazing deal figuring the parts spec. Last I checked performance had them for 2199 on their website, figure in a 10% off everything sale and 10% back in store credit if you are a Team Performance member and it is a smokin' hot deal!!

-Patrick

Old & Slow
    Glad you like the bike. If you live anywhere near a performance shop, be sure to drop by a couple of times during your 90 day price match period. I went in about 30 days after I bought mine and found it $340 cheaper than their web price and scored some cash back They have in-house sales all the time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah I wish I did live near one of their "brick and mortar" stores. They should just build one here in NW Arkansas I think . I did end up going with the medium by the way and it seems to be a good fit for me. It looks like Performance isn't going to sell the highest end (super and team) builds by Mongoose, at least not on their website. Bummer, the new Khyber super looks sweet. Not that I could get one anytime soon anyways...the Canaan was one of those "this is my last bikes for a while thing" and that is the only reason wife approved. Of course, I have said that in the past......

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

medium

I am 5'9" with a cycling inseam of 32"/33" (my pants are 30"). I have the medium canaan elite and standover has never been an issue for me. Fantastic bike... light with great suspension... I like it much better than my previous mongoose (ti hardtail).

Also, I know for one weekend a year Performance gives 20 percent off on all bikes... just don't know when.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just picked up an 09 Canaan Comp small from performance for just under 1k including tax. Gotta wait for it to get sent to the store...its gonna be a long few days!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Let us know how you like it when it comes in AZ border pig! I'm still liking mine. Did close to 30 miles on it today. The prices on all the models through Performance just can not be beat. I looked at a local shop and asked if they could build something close spec wise. Basically came back with "no, I cannot touch that build for that price." Then made some rude comment about "well would you rather have a (insert big name brand here--still made in Asia, probably by the same frame builder) or a Mongoose." And because of that I haven't been back to that shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I will let everyone know how it is when I get it and get pics. I cant wait to ride it!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Any of you guys know how much the Elite weighs? I was at Performance and they had the 09 comp. I had them weigh it on the scale and it was 31.1.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ^warning^
    Any of you guys know how much the Elite weighs? I was at Performance and they had the 09 comp. I had them weigh it on the scale and it was 31.1.
    My 2009 Canaan Elite weighs about 28.5, feels very light and nimble out in the trials.