Self proclaimed idiot

Mongoose Buildup

Alrighty, I was at a garage sale today on my way to work, for some reason I cannot pass them up. I stumbled upon 2 mongoose bikes, 50 bucks each, I offered the lady 75 for the pair and so now I have these 2 mongoose bikes, both are soft tails. One is a Sector the other is a XR 75 (looks to be newer but much cheaper), the Sector looks to be an 06 model, has front disc brakes (linear pull), and Y brakes on the back. Shimano Altus Derailleurs front and back, Mozo Vibe R front forks (will be the first thing to go), this is the one I would like to build up, the frame seems solid, and fairly light, and it seems as though it would need less parts, and would make a better overall bike,

I am going to post photos just so I can get some opinions on what you guys think.

XR-75

Sector

Back

Front

Sorry about the crappy pictures, it was a little dark, so I was shooting in 1600ISO and didnt bother turning my shop lights on.

Kind of looking for build suggestions, I have a good bit of cash to throw at this project. hoping I can make myself a decent backup bike out of it. Comments and suggestions are more than welcome, actually encouraged.
    Mountains will move under the man with enough will to make them do so.

mtbr member
    The XR-75 does look a little over flashy. I would definatly keep the Sector if all you need it for is a secondary bike and not bother upgrading things except the grips and saddle, and then just replace any thing that breaks or stuff that just bothers you after riding it for a while.
    You can probably even get more than you paid for both by selling the XR-75 depending on where you live.
    06 Mongoose Teocali

Self proclaimed idiot
    I will be getting a different fork for it, the one that is on it is pretty much crap, its not as bad as the one on the XR-75 (super soft, cannot even peddle without it compressing). The grips and the saddle will also go, honestly... it is a very comfortable bike I wouldnt mind a complete build up on that frame, so that I could have a decent backup bike out of it, maybe even a loaner. I am looking for specs for it so that I know what parts to order, thanks for the reply.

Oh yeah I was looking at the price of the XR-75 it is this years model bike at the evil empire (Wal-Mart) and it is going for 99 bucks, I will likely sell it for 65-70 just to get rid of it for profit doesnt look like it was ever really ridden.

mtbr member
    Is rhe XR-75 a full steel frame? the welds look really small for aluminum, I know the rear triangles are always steel on the cheaper bikes but the front frame looks like steel on XR-75.

If your buyin a fork anyway put the Mozo on the XR-75 then sell it, I know its a crappy fork but its a bit better and a lot stronger than the element, and since its got V-brake mounts you can keep the mechanical disk brakes and wheel for yourself.
    06 Mongoose Teocali

Self proclaimed idiot
    this is true, the XR75 is aluminum the rear triangle is steel like you said, the welds are actually pretty large and blotchy if you would like a closer view of it I can go take some more photos.

yeah that is what I planned on doing with the MoZo fork, I am looking at the Rockshox Tora, and Revelation 426 dual Air, I am also getting a whole new drivetrain for it, and dabbling around in rear suspension, I have ordered some BB7's front and rear, and some egg beaters. If you have any more suggestions throw them at me, I really appreciate the second opinion.

Pretty in Pink
    Hey, I ended up building up this bike because Matt got lazy and just left it in the garage, I went a different route with it than he had planned. Here are the specs.

Mongoose Sector
    Shimano LX rapidfire shifters
    Easton flat bar
    cane creek headset
    Juicy 3 brakes 165 front 160 rear (160 is the biggest I could go in the rear because of the way the triangle is shaped)
    RockShox Psylo Uturn 80-120mm (with new seals and magnesium inners)
    Quando hub on the stock front wheel
    stock seatpost and seat actually the same seat found on my old otero
    Fox vanilla R rear shock 100mm (grade 8 mounting hardware)
    Shimano LX crankset
    Shimano SLX front derailleur
    Shimano SPD/flat pedals m-545
    Alex pro XC rear wheel disc only
    Shimano XT hub
    Shimano XT Shadow dear derailleur
    Shimano SLX 9 speed cassette
    A2Z rear disc adapter
    and a DuraAce/XTR 9 speed chain, Jagwire teflon cables and housings.

Overall the bike rides great really. I like it a ton better than Matts OLD teocali. I mean it is no replacement for my Mojo, nor Matts Turner. But for a loaner bike it is more than capable.
    Last edited by ThePinkBarron; 07-26-2009 at 10:44 AM.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

smell my finger
    MMMMMM.......... HopDevil

Pretty in Pink
    Just went to the shop to have them tune this thing up, 32.4 lbs with everything on it. If I were to replace the front wheel I think I could shed a little more, but for a loaner I see no reason to replace it. And the tires I have on it could probably weigh less too. The shop guys were pretty impressed with the bike overall, a few even gave full props on the build. I have another frame in mind for all of these parts already, next year I think all of this will move to a 2008 Teocali elite frame with rp23.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~